Penn's/Little J

If I had my druthers, I would prefer to fish Penns or Little J. Yeah, I catch bigger fish on both.

I often refer to spring creek as my "plan B" stream. When the other two aren't on - or blown out - it's still a very nice alternative.

I certainly agree that Penns and Little J are overall better experiences than Spring. With that said, I find myself on Spring more than the other two. Its ease of access to State College has a lot to do with that. I just end up there for certain reasons occasionally and it is so easy and convenient just to hit the water for a couple hours.

In all seriousness though I don't fish those three streams that often. They are all close by but I generally choose to fish less well known waters.

Spring Creek is a great fishery I rarely fish it with penns and fishing creek so close.

"Pushing grass" ????? What's that mean??????

SmoothOperator wrote:
"Pushing grass" ????? What's that mean??????

Tom is a Philly boy at heart, and seldom makes sense to the yinzer nation :)

"Pushing Grass" > flowing over the bank.

The equivalent in Yinzer speak would be approximately:

"Geeeeeez, da worter in dem criks dahntahn up over da point."

Swattie87 wrote:

Wunz the crick iszup in da jaggers....itz awl over!!

I encourage everyone to fish spring creek and not penns creek that would be great Tom. The feathered hook is taking the ss minnow on guiding trips now that should bring in more business.

I encourage everyone to fish spring creek and not penns creek that would be great Tom. The feathered hook is taking the ss minnow on guiding trips now that should bring in more business.

Floated on said "ss minnow" with Matt at the Feathered Hook and it was quite enjoyable. First time floating and we caught a fair amount of fish!

That's to bad Im sorry to hear that Brad.

:-? :oops:

Oh, it was a terrible time! ;-)

Took my veteran father (fly fishing newbie) on a guided trip and they put us in the stealthcraft for our last day and it was a great experience, learned a lot from some awesome guides over a couple days.

afishinado wrote:
Swattie87 wrote:

Wunz the crick iszup in da jaggers....itz awl over!!

Ain't?

Not real big on people " floating " Penns......Had a few " bad experiences" where I was almost run over or they ran over the area I was fishing (risers )...... That's why I quit fishing Juniata.....had a fleet of Girl Scouts run me over in waist deep water down below the farm area.....

Im know the feathered hook, the guides, and the rafts they use. There shouldn't be any float fishing in a raft especially of that size in penns creek at all period

Had plenty of instances fishing penns when I've almost been run over by large groups of kayakers and folks in canoes during the summer, loudly sloshing through holes right in front of me. Yeah it sucks, but it happens. Kayakers are probably thinking, who are these a-holes (us fisherman!) standing in the middle of the stream in their favorite white water??

Don't see much of a problem with it myself, and people are free to do as they wish. If you know how to properly float and maneuver a boat, you shouldn't cause any issues with other fisherman. It's likely that floats will only happen during the early spring, particularly during higher water levels, when it is completely safe to do so, and when there aren't many other fisherman out at all or wading far out into the high waters.

I think it is totally ridiculous floating Penns. This will not help my disdain for this new generation of guides. Many don't care about others fishing as long as they get their paying client on fish. It just is not needed on Penns. 95% of Penns is able to be reached while wading. I guess it is just "cool" to float places now even if it isn't needed. Get off your *** and walk a little.

I don't mind the kayakers and canoers because they can kind of slip on by without bothering the water too much. A raft is too damn big for Penns period.

but they can get the standard "bro" hero trout pic with cool raft pretending they are in montana.

I don't care what the water level is on penns creek there shouldn't be raft fishing try getting some exercise it's good for you. Go to susky, Pine, bald eagle, Allegheny or the J if you wanna fish in the ss minnow. They like nice easy money at the hook crazy people pay to fish penns creek.

Back