Penns First Timer

I fished Penns last fall when it was a trickle. I was fishing what some call the swimming pool hole near Ingleby. I walked directly downstream from the tail of that pool where there is usually white water and some decent pools tight to the bank with a bit of brush. I was shocked to see it so low with absolutely zero holding water as it cuts back to the trail. I started walking through the water and I kicked out a super nice brown around 15 inched in a tiny 1 foot pocket of foam that was totally in the open. It was super bright and sunny. Never in a million years would I expected a trout to be in any of that water. Another time I was down near the fish commission station on a bright sunny day and walking through total shallows with my bugger hanging at my side. A huge brown leaped out of the water after my fly leaving me soaked. I get the hole cover and fish the shadows but you never know.

I don't think I caught a fish that weekend so the conditions were poor. You ask yourself, where could the fish possibly be, but I guess they find somewhere. We did find a decent number right in front of his cabin that rose sporadically. If you didn't see them rise you would never guess they were there. Similar experiences on Valley.

I fished Penns last fall when it was a trickle. I was fishing what some call the swimming pool hole near Ingleby. I walked directly downstream from the tail of that pool where there is usually white water and some decent pools tight to the bank with a bit of brush. I was shocked to see it so low with absolutely zero holding water as it cuts back to the trail. I started walking through the water and I kicked out a super nice brown around 15 inched in a tiny 1 foot pocket of foam that was totally in the open. It was super bright and sunny. Never in a million years would I expected a trout to be in any of that water.
In the fall trout are often in the shallows for spawning.

Ditto! And make sure you post up on a pool some evening with a #22ish cream midge and stay til dark
Guess I should have stayed a little longer! I never noticed them taking the midges when I was there. Pretty sure they were taking the small mayflies that looked to be blue quills.

Well, I'll just start by saying that Penns this time of year is freakin majestic. Absolutely beautiful stream/area.

Unfortunately, that's where the good words end... lol. I could not even spook a fish Saturday morning. I started about a mile up from the Cherry Run lot throwing streamers towards the bank at first light, and then swapped out to a green weenie with a split shot under an indy focusing mainly on riffles and runs.

The wind started kicking up, and after the third bird's nest tangle from hell, I humbly bowed out after about 4 hours and made my way to some smaller stuff in the area where I did have some luck on a dry-dropper setup.

I really think I would benefit from a guide when it comes to fishing the larger stuff. I just can't seem to crack the code on my own.

Well, I'll just start by saying that Penns this time of year is freakin majestic. Absolutely beautiful stream/area.

Unfortunately, that's where the good words end... lol. I could not even spook a fish Saturday morning. I started about a mile up from the Cherry Run lot throwing streamers towards the bank at first light, and then swapped out to a green weenie with a split shot under an indy focusing mainly on riffles and runs.

The wind started kicking up, and after the third bird's nest tangle from hell, I humbly bowed out after about 4 hours and made my way to some smaller stuff in the area where I did have some luck on a dry-dropper setup.

I really think I would benefit from a guide when it comes to fishing the larger stuff. I just can't seem to crack the code on my own.
My rec would be to get someone from the Feathered Hook to take you out and show you the river. Good dudes there. Also - glad you tried it and learned some things.

I live near Pittsburgh and when I go to Penns or anywhere in central PA it is usually for an entire sun up to sun down day at a minimum.

There are many stretches that I wont catch a fish for 4 hours. Then all the sudden I will catch 6 in a half hour. These rivers turn off and on and hitting them for a few hours here and there isn't productive for most people.

Guys that are lucky enough to live close enough can learn them well enough to know when and where to go and what to throw depending on conditions.

I live near Pittsburgh and when I go to Penns or anywhere in central PA it is usually for an entire sun up to sun down day at a minimum.

There are many stretches that I wont catch a fish for 4 hours. Then all the sudden I will catch 6 in a half hour. These rivers turn off and on and hitting them for a few hours here and there isn't productive for most people.

Guys that are lucky enough to live close enough can learn them well enough to know when and where to go and what to throw depending on conditions.

Part of me was reluctant to leave at noon, for sure. But with only 1 full day to fish, and all of the sweet sweet small streams in the area, the rhodo was calling out to me. I would like to dedicate full day to Penns in the future.

Part of me was reluctant to leave at noon, for sure. But with only 1 full day to fish, and all of the sweet sweet small streams in the area, the rhodo was calling out to me. I would like to dedicate full day to Penns in the future.
I had to do the same to save the day if catching two dinks was saving the day!

If you go back, I would reverse how you did things.

When I was there, I fished a brookie stream in the morning.
Not much chance of rising fish there anyway.

Then went to Penns in early afternoon - right when some surface activity was getting started.
Then had risers until almost dark

I had to do the same to save the day if catching two dinks was saving the day!

A dink a day keeps the skunk away! 😉

If you go back, I would reverse how you did things.

When I was there, I fished a brookie stream in the morning.
Not much chance of rising fish there anyway.

Then went to Penns in early afternoon - right when some surface activity was getting started.
Then had risers until almost dark

This sounds like solid advice, really wish I would have done that. My camp site was right on top of a mountain leading straight down to Penns, so logistically would have made more sense too... Meh, oh well. Always next time.

last time we were up we only got any hits starting in the afternoon, in the fast water. Im sure it changed a bunch since then, but it seems that is what was happening this year. Now with the lack of rain, deep pools are the retreat, so any fish in there are not feeding and those that are are sitting in pockets of faster water on hydro cushions. Fishing olive nymphs with orange trigger points.

Back