Penns First Timer

If you are heading out from SEPA, you won't find the crowds to be an issue. Fishermen in SEPA know what "crowded" means. Penns aint it.

Never saw another angler when I fished it wednesday
Kinda hard for me to believe there would hordes out there at this time of year
I would still go through with your planned trip
If it is crowded at a certain area, there are so many other sections to go to

Wednesday and Saturday make a big difference. Maybe I just had bad luck. Full details this was Saturday, 10/12, for 2.5-3 miles downstream of Poe Paddy. I expected the area around the campground to be busy but an hour of walking downstream it was the same thing.

Wednesday and Saturday make a big difference. Maybe I just had bad luck. Full details this was Saturday, 10/12, for 2.5-3 miles downstream of Poe Paddy. I expected the area around the campground to be busy but an hour of walking downstream it was the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 30
If you are heading out from SEPA, you won't find the crowds to be an issue. Fishermen in SEPA know what "crowded" means. Penns aint it.
yeah I agree, I'm from chesco and been fishing penns for 15+ years now. it's gotten busier but in no way packed. plenty of stretches you can have all to yourself.

The first AI post on paflyfish.com?
This kinda sucks. I'm pretty sure it is a real person who is using AI to just write the content. I banned them anyway. I have been getting about one spammer a day try to get in. These are not bot's, just people getting paid to sneak in and post. I have caught some of them sending direct messages. I'm gonna have to go back to the wack a mole game.

I have a cabin right on the stream and immediately next to a well known area to park. I’ve been up off an on this fall, sometimes during the week and once on a weekend. Weekends are definitely more crowded but as mentioned, you can find water. I walk out of the door and see 11 trucks but hike half a mile to a mile and might only see one or two folks all session.

One of the regulars on the site? 🙂 If not who was it. I have had to delete a few spammer accounts
No - a name I had never seen before.
Its already been deleted from my box.
Can't recall the whole name now. But think it started with a ps.
Figured something was up

Awesome, thanks Swattie. I actually ended up switching my site to one over across the river on Old Mingle so Cherry Run will be the perfect entry point. It's looking like Sat. will be mostly cloudy now too. Fingers crossed I can get into some fish. I was in the SF for a short trip back in May but didn't have the confidence to get on Penns. Treaster treated me well that time..

Now this... THIS is the advice I was looking for. How many days have you been out on Penns this year?
I stayed at one of the old mingle road camp sites.
Beautiful location - especially with the fall foliage getting near peak.
That would be a nice trip even if you didn't fish!

not this comming weekend, but the following i was planning on heading up and throw some streamers. But if conditions stay the same i might reconsider my offerings. Just really would like to throw the big stuff while they are still in pre-spawn and hungry.

not this comming weekend, but the following i was planning on heading up and throw some streamers. But if conditions stay the same i might reconsider my offerings. Just really would like to throw the big stuff while they are still in pre-spawn and hungry.
there's other creeks up there with hungry fish as well.

Can confirm that streamers are working well out there if you know where to throw them. I caught a nice brown and a bunch of massive fallfish last night on streamers. And some bass. Also caught fish on little tiny #22 dries and 7x, the opposite of streamers. The water is insanely clear right now, you gotta be careful not to spook them.
IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2060.jpeg

Sure, it's all about depth and cover (like Troutbert just mentioned on another thread), particularly when the water is low and clear like it is now. Find spots where a bigger fish can eat while being protected from predators you might find fish.

Penns really isn't very big IMO, don't stress too much about the size - everything you know about where a trout might hold still applies. (I say that as I'm about to leave for Montana and stressing about the size of those streams, lol).

Back