Penns Creek storm

I'm still recovering and think I might have PTSD from last nights local news coverage of the storms.
STORM OF THE CENTURY!!!! :)

Bartonsville area in Monroe County had storm damage.

It was a weird storm around here. I got over 4" of rain, western Union Co got drenched too. But then not far from here places got maybe an inch. Thus why it seems like only Penns got blown up. Thinking of heading up to BFC and seeing if it got some water, fingers crossed.

It was a weird storm around here. I got over 4" of rain, western Union Co got drenched too. But then not far from here places got maybe an inch. Thus why it seems like only Penns got blown up. Thinking of heading up to BFC and seeing if it got some water, fingers crossed.
A guy I know was staying at a campground near Mifflinburg yesterday and said he was getting dumped on late yesterday afternoon, so I sent him this copy of the weather radar from 4:25pm.

It could explain all the rain you, and at least the lower parts of Penns, got yesterday too.

IMG 3345

Yeah Dave, according to the local news where we both live we were supposed to huddle in our basements and hold on...... :eek:

I guess we should be thankful nothing happened, but talk about over reaction from the local news stations. :rolleyes:
The weather service issuing a tornado warning and news media breaking into Jeopardy for 30 mins with BREAKING NEWS are two very different things.

My wife was caught in a tornado one evening shopping at our home a few years back. There was no warning issued and the tornado blew out the windows and ripped of the roof of the retail store she was in. Very scary. I'm all for the weather service issuing notices as they should.

The media is a little more self serving and seems a little more like the boy that cried wolf with BREAKING NEWS in the lower third 7/24.

A guy I know was staying at a campground near Mifflinburg yesterday and said he was getting dumped on late yesterday afternoon, so I sent him this copy of the weather radar from 4:25pm.

It could explain all the rain you, and at least the lower parts of Penns, got yesterday too.

View attachment 1641231892
I have been learning more about the many many different radars that are out there. That pink/white area in the middle of the red was likely a big hail storm.

Since I am in the general area about 3 months ago I got a txt msg to immediately take shelter or go to the basement as a tornado was immenent
This was for Mt Bethel in Northhampton County PA and Knowlton Twp in Warren County, NJ. There was a tornado with limited damage. The txt came with a honking noise.

got hit pretty hard here just over the border in bloomsbury nj. national weather service will be investigating a possible tornado touch down. trees down everywhere. power out. power companies and tree service companies have been out all night/day. some houses are missing siding/shingles.

i like tracking weather, especially dangerous weather and last night around 730pm i saw signs of rotation on the radar(possible touch down between 722pm and 745pm) i texted my wife a pic of it and circled the area i thought rotation might occur. come to find out, i was right. and i was only a town or two off. all my years of watching the weather channel is paying off lol. weather does interest me though. its acutally fun to watch and learn about it. i am glued to the tv when a major hurricane is being tracked, possible tornados, or a major winter storm.

Screenshot 20230807 1902212

Let's face it. Weather wasn't as much fun before high Def backdrops and super duper double dollar radar images. The 70s wx guy pointing to wall filled with colorless colorforms taped to a map with plastic numbers. People always want to know more and more and more and then they get mad when you give it to them.

Yeah Dave, according to the local news where we both live we were supposed to huddle in our basements and hold on...... :eek:

I guess we should be thankful nothing happened, but talk about over reaction from the local news stations. :rolleyes:
I was under my barn at the new place wiring 220 lines to all the tools during the tornado warning.

got hit pretty hard here just over the border in bloomsbury nj. national weather service will be investigating a possible tornado touch down. trees down everywhere. power out. power companies and tree service companies have been out all night/day. some houses are missing siding/shingles.

i like tracking weather, especially dangerous weather and last night around 730pm i saw signs of rotation on the radar(possible touch down between 722pm and 745pm) i texted my wife a pic of it and circled the area i thought rotation might occur. come to find out, i was right. and i was only a town or two off. all my years of watching the weather channel is paying off lol. weather does interest me though. its acutally fun to watch and learn about it. i am glued to the tv when a major hurricane is being tracked, possible tornados, or a major winter storm.

View attachment 1641231893
Dear Kyle,

Yay! Another weather nerd is in the house!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I think this applies. It's not like no one saw it coming 25 years earlier.

"I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness."
-Carl Sagan 1995

I just got back from Poe Paddy. Penns was obviously way up and muddy. Most of the tribs like Panther, Swift, and Poe were running strong. My wife and me stayed at one of the lean-tos on the little circle and water was still running down the mountain there. The most damage was up along the mountain on the trail from the parking lot to the old bridge. Probably 25 trees were down and some were huge. One crashed right into Love's cabin. That one needed to be put out of its misery a long time ago. Penns and the tribs were all settling down and clearing today. We were hanging out at the lake today and had a tremendous downpour for about 20 minutes and then it returned to a beautiful day.

I feel weather coverage is getting to be like the internet. They need remarkable claims and awe-struck expressions to win eyeballs. TV stations are never going to get eyes saying, "Yeah, it's going to rain. Some heavy wind some places. Mostly not terrible." Never.

I just got back from Poe Paddy. Penns was obviously way up and muddy. Most of the tribs like Panther, Swift, and Poe were running strong. My wife and me stayed at one of the lean-tos on the little circle and water was still running down the mountain there. The most damage was up along the mountain on the trail from the parking lot to the old bridge. Probably 25 trees were down and some were huge. One crashed right into Love's cabin. That one needed to be put out of its misery a long time ago. Penns and the tribs were all settling down and clearing today. We were hanging out at the lake today and had a tremendous downpour for about 20 minutes and then it returned to a beautiful day.
The Weather Channel guys just said Poe Paddy got hammered again. Did anyone hear anything? And has anyone seen the damage from the earlier storm I posted here.

The Weather Channel guys just said Poe Paddy got hammered again. Did anyone hear anything? And has anyone seen the damage from the earlier storm I posted here.
Damn the weather channel knows where Poe Paddy is? Talk about the ultimate spot burn

Back