Penns Creek storm

J

JeffP

Well I finally got my wife to go up to Poe Paddy for a night or 2. I wasn't planning on fishing. So it looks like they got pounded. Anyone know of any storm damage? It is currently headed to 3000. What is flood stage? Thanks!

Dear Jeff,

Flood stage is 8 feet below the Rte 104 bridge, but it mostly floods lawns at that level. If it gets to 12 feet, it's an honest to God flood.

If you look at the USGS gauge for Penns Creek and most other gauges you have the option of viewing the legacy USGS page. It provides details about flood stage and it's effects at differing levels.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

3000 cfs is not crazy for Penns. In a normal year, it will see that several times, especially in the winter and spring. We had low flows throughout that timeframe this year. The summer, however, has seen higher than normal flows. Temps have still been too high, though.

I tubed the Poe Paddy section on Saturday with my family. I meant to take thermometer but forgot. I'm confident that the water was near or above 70, probably above.

Is everyone on this forum okay? Hopefully none of you experienced any storm damage.

Is everyone on this forum okay? Hopefully none of you experienced any storm damage.
We got almost nothing here in Lititz. Virtually no wind and certainly less than 1/2 an inch of rain.

3000 cfs is not crazy for Penns. In a normal year, it will see that several times, especially in the winter and spring. We had low flows throughout that timeframe this year. The summer, however, has seen higher than normal flows. Temps have still been too high, though.

I tubed the Poe Paddy section on Saturday with my family. I meant to take thermometer but forgot. I'm confident that the water was near or above 70, probably above.
I realize that now. For some reason I had a brain cramp and saw something about 2018 and I thought that was the high. I guess that was for that date.

Still raining in South Jersey. Chester/Montgomery Counties in SE Pa got over an inch of rain in a short time.

I realize that now. For some reason I had a brain cramp and saw something about 2018 and I thought that was the high. I guess that was for that date.
See any hatches? Trout at the mouths?

It would be interesting to track the temperature changes on the creek as that amount of water works through the system.

Prior to yesterday, the all time recorded high for Penns Creek on August 8 at the Penns Creek, PA gauge was in 2018. (I think it was something like 1080 cfs)

Last night, that record was shattered when Penns peaked at around 3700 cfs.

IMG 3323

Things didn't get too bad at my house. Actually, it wasn't bad at all. We got some good rain, though.

I'm still recovering and think I might have PTSD from last nights local news coverage of the storms.
Yeah Dave, according to the local news where we both live we were supposed to huddle in our basements and hold on...... :eek:

I guess we should be thankful nothing happened, but talk about over reaction from the local news stations. :rolleyes:

There was significant storm damage here in parts of Maryland.

A friend of mine was down near Kennet Square and said he saw around 15 trees down with some across the road. So someone got it.

It's funny that Penns Creek went way up, but most other gauges in the region did not go way up.

Seems par for the course for all news outlets anymore.
Dear jifigz,

If they broadcast warnings they are accused of sensationalism if nothing happens. If they fail to warn people and something happens, they are accused of being irresponsible. It's a Catch-22.

I like to watch the weather geeks get all excited about bad weather because I'm a bit of a weather geek myself.

It wasn't much of a storm here around HBG, but York County and Lancaster County got pounded in places. A cinderblock warehouse was destroyed in Quarryville which isn't very far from Chester County.

Regards,

Dear jifigz,

If they broadcast warnings they are accused of sensationalism if nothing happens. If they fail to warn people and something happens, they are accused of being irresponsible. It's a Catch-22.

I like to watch the weather geeks get all excited about bad weather because I'm a bit of a weather geek myself.

It wasn't much of a storm here around HBG, but York County and Lancaster County got pounded in places. A cinderblock warehouse was destroyed in Quarryville which isn't very far from Chester County.

Regards,

I hear you. I'm not complaining about it. It's just that all news is hyped and sensationalized. All of it. I love watching the news though and do it daily. But every issue is a huge one, the sky is falling over so many different things, blah, blah blah.

Last edited:
Back