Penns Creek loadout

You are gonna want a 7 or 8 wt if chucking large streamers in high water too!!

I do not like a 4wt there even when only throwing dries. I like the ability to reach a few far risers and most times my 4wt is not cutting it. If throwing bigger dries, i.e. Drakes, the 5wt helps too.
For the most part I agree with bumping up to a 7 or 8wt for streamers but I don't think that kind of a rod will be necessary for the streamers I'll be throwing. I am typically Mr. Overkill when it comes to fly rod usage but I suspect my X 5wt will be more than enough for what I'll be doing, and if I want a tad more power I will use the Bolt 4wt. I suspect during the conditions where I would be streamer fishing, like periods of rain or high flows, I may not even want to fish or I may choose to fish a trib if Penns appears to be too high too fish.

Now when I entertain a trip to Tennessee with 27 inch brown trout being a somewhat real possibility, and the fact I will be tossing larger streamers, you best believe I will be taking my favorite heavy duty 7wt.

I guess "loadout" is the new "put rod in car."

Geezus. You’re over complicating things. An 8.5‘ or 9’ 5 weight will get the job. done.
Maybe so, but think of all the jobs lost in the fishing industry if we didn't. :) :cool:

Back in the 1970’s I fished Penns with my 6’ Farlow bamboo “Lee Wulff Midge” rod and Hardy Featherweight reel and don’t recall that I felt “under loaded”. At the time, I often fished Penns with a good friend from Milroy who used his 5 1/2’ glass rod.

These days, I might decide to use one of my Abel reels. They have a better drag. An Abel in the brown trout finish would probably be better for Penns though. I might have to buy one.

46532E43 DE2C 492E B88A 0619CAC3C81D

Back in the 1970’s I fished Penns with my 6’ Farlow bamboo “Lee Wulff Midge” rod and Hardy Featherweight reel and don’t recall that I felt “under loaded”. At the time, I often fished Penns with a good friend from Milroy who used his 5 1/2’ glass rod.

These days, I might decide to use one of my Abel reels. They have a better drag. An Abel in the brown trout finish would probably be better for Penns though. I might have to buy one.

View attachment 1641229025
You won't regret getting an SDF! I have one in the 6/7 size in the "retro green" finish with a matching drag knob. It's a beautiful and great sounding/feeling reel. Mine pairs well with my Sage X 5wt 9ft. both looks and weight-wise. The green in the "retro green" pairs well with the green wraps on the "electric teal" X. My SDF balanced well even on my Orvis H3D 9ft. 7wt but that rod has since departed from my quiver.

I typically stay away from trout patterns as I think they are "too busy", but just my opinion. A brown trout reel would be neat for Penns as the creek consists of mostly brown trout. You could post a sweet photo of that reel next to a large brown.

I was never too fond of the X, I prefer Konnetic era rods or R8 over the X. I fished my 5wt 9ft for awhile and I am not very impressed with it. Not saying it's a bad rod but I could never get the line or my timing really dialed in with mine so I have relegated it to be a safe queen, something I am ok with because the value of the electric teal rods are now over a g, or they were for some time. I'm taking the X to color-coordinate with the orange colored Bolt if my friend decides to go. If he bails I'll be taking my Orvis H3F 9ft. 6wt as I think that is just an overall better rod, and a better rod for the styles I am expecting to fish at my time at Penns. I initially bought the X for the clout in the event someone would recognize a color released on that rod for only a year. Alas, I did not receive enough compliments on the rod to wish to continue fishing it. I will say I was glad to get mine at less than retail even when the X was still in production.

I also have a matching 8wt 9ft SAGE X that I kind of like and will use for heavy nymph rigs in Erie, but ever since I got my preferred SAGE Salt HD 7wt 9ft. back I have no desire to take that rod with me outside of my Erie adventures.

Btw, you cop that Method 9ft. 6wt yet? She's a real beaut.

Nope. I've bid on a few and cut off bidding around $425 - $450. Yep, I'm cheap and can't bring myself to spend that much for a 6 yr old rod where the condition might be misrepresented.

I fish Penns with a 8' 5wt bamboo. The best outing i had there was with a 8'3 4wt bamboo. I fish small streams if nothing is going on on top but there usually is. I will be there early may and probably bring and 8'6 Robert Bolt 5wt and possibly a 8;2 Robert Bolt 4wt. I am staying on the river so i can get a good idea of what is going on and if nothing is hatching i can fish Cherry Run. I should have my Andy Rubey 7 4wt by then or i will use any other small bamboo rod. I like dry flys. I will dry dropper fish as well, but nymphing that time of the year is not really for me.

Last edited:
8ft. 5wt is an interesting configuration, a very good configuration for Penns no doubt. I prefer a little more length myself but the shorter length would be better for combatting fish perhaps. I checked out those Robert Bolt rods as I don't know anything about them. A quick Google search has left me more than impressed.

I would like to link up with some of the bamboo guys at Penns to test out a few of their rods, even if it is just lawn casting. I understand the cost of some of these rods so if people are reluctant to let me cast their rods I would also understand that.

Not sure if I am ready to go down the rabbit hole of bamboo rods, I have a jolly enough time dumping my funds into graphite and fly fishing accessories. Thanks for sharing.

9' 5 wt for me also.

However, in low flows, I'll go lighter with an 8'6" 4 wt. Typically in late summer and fall

Back