Penns Creek Conditions?

H

HeavyWater

Hi. I’ll be meeting some friends around Poe Paddy this weekend. Does anyone here know what temps are like on Penns Creek now or in 6 days? I fear it may be too warm to fish for trout. Let me know if you have any information.
Also, if too warm there, where is my best bet to fish in the vicinity? Drive to spring creek? Or Little J?
Thanks for your help.

You're right on the edge of it being too warm but it might still be fine. I was just up there last week and temps in the day are climbing into the high 60s in some spots midday but morning and evening are still good to go. I'd watch for another storm and go from there. I should be up that way Sunday though so here's to hoping for another shot.

Thanks for the info... I hoping the water cools off. Lower night time temps help.
I have my thermometer.... what is the general cutoff for catch and release fishing?.... I usually think 67. Thanks again.

HeavyWater wrote:
Thanks for the info... I hoping the water cools off. Lower night time temps help.
I have my thermometer.... what is the general cutoff for catch and release fishing?.... I usually think 67. Thanks again.

Keep in mind that if you get on the water in the morning and the temps are already in the higher 60's, it's likely that water temps are spending most of the day around or above 70.

That said, recent cooler weather has even many put and take streams back in the low 60's (or even as low as 58) so the big name wild trout streams should be OK for the near future. The 10 day forecast is pretty mild with only a couple warmer days, but not anything crazy.

Penns was in good shape this evening. 300 cfs this morning, 65 at 5pm when I got there. Off color, in a good way.

Is there anything hatching in late June?
Would think its in between the major hatches and Tricos. If no hatches what patterns typically work in clear, low water here?

They plowed upstream so any shot of rain will stain the water. No big deal unless we get a soaker and honestly that low gin clear makes those fish even more intelligent than they already are

Is there anything hatching in late June?
Would think its in between the major hatches and Tricos. If no hatches what patterns typically work in clear, low water here?

Typically June sees a lot of blue quills with sometimes large daytime spinner falls (sometimes called "genny" spinners), and large Blue Winged Olives (Drunella genus, not Baetis) with massive spinner falls at dusk. Intermixed with plenty of cahills, sometimes sulphers, midges, craneflies, and all of that other stuff mixing into bug soup. Stonefly patterns tend to be my go-to underneath.

Penns does not have a large amount of trico's.

That large BWO hatch that pcray referred to, can be a lot of fun.
I've found them hatching during the second half of June.
Especially on rainy days.

And the best part - no crowds!

I would assume there’s Iso’s too?

The idea that upstream plowing causes Penns to mud is not in any way possible. Almost all farmers are now no til and the mud comes from down pours in the various valleys that make up the drainage. Even if the farm is still plowing which may be better anyways, that means they are plowing to get crops in by mid June. Then they are about 6- 7 weeks late.

Swattie87 wrote:
I would assume there’s Iso’s too?

Yes, Penns can have decent Iso fishing right into October

Paraleptalata wrote:
The idea that upstream plowing causes Penns to mud is not in any way possible. Almost all farmers are now no til and the mud comes from down pours in the various valleys that make up the drainage. Even if the farm is still plowing which may be better anyways, that means they are plowing to get crops in by mid June. Then they are about 6- 7 weeks late.

Below is a FB post by Bruce of Penns Creek Angler Fly shop. He closed the shop with regular hours until October. You can contact and make an appointment to meet him at the shop.

Penns Creek Angler
June 16
Penn's Creek Angler Fly Shop Weikert Pa an Orvis Dealer. Penn's 232cfs, 64-73 degrees, 1-2 ft Visibility. The farmers plowed the fields in Brush Valley. We will see color with any rain and the water temperature will rise faster. Happy Summer! See you in October.

There is still quite a bit of plowing that occurs within the amish community and especially with those that are enrolled in organic dairy or vegetable programs. In my experience, grass buffers can really cut down on the amount of turbidity that reaches a stream from agriculture fields. Regardless I do not think a little bit of active tilling will be doom and gloom for trout fishing in any given watershed.

Just got back from penns. First while you might not believe it the plowing definitely has an effect. The water is pretty silt loaded even at pretty low water conditions and is super easy to see if you were to fill a clear vessel and try to filter it... Overall though yes it isn't some crazy turbid water and the effect on fishing is minimal even with some rain as we experienced this week. It's food for thought though and I've heard about it from many people.

Conditions this week were hit or miss though. Obv. the rainy days were better and the higher sun days were pretty lame until later when the hatch got going. Def. fish mornings and evenings though because the temp is climbing quick and land your fish fast. I'd say this is the last week barring a decent rain.

Penns Creek and its tributaries drain a lot of croplands.

It flows brown after a heavy rain at any time of the year. And it takes a while to clear after a heavy rain.

Penns Creek is obviously not alone in this. Streams run muddy after rains in watersheds with a lot of cropland everywhere.

Back