Peeking caddis tutorial and video

gfen wrote:
3xl hook.
pale yellow chenille or yarn.
moose mane.
turkey.
softex or flexament or some sort of material i can't be bothered to deal with but softer than epoxy.
partridge. tip and stem clipped off, laid over top then the turkey is pulled over ala copper john.
i'd have thought brown thread for the ribbing. wire makes more sense. it comes in brown? what will they think of next!

Hmmm. From the picture i noticed in Hatches Magazine this recipe sounds spot on!!! Thanks GF

heritage called it with thinskin/baggie/etc, not softex.

keep it supey dupey secret though

Im flattered that you all have so much interest in the fly. Im sorry that the pattern is lock and key.

I used to work in an industry where everyone had their secrets for their sound. As an assistant engineer I got a pretty wide open glimpse into how people would get their trademark sound. A very famous and talented engineer once told me that the engineers who were all smoke and mirrors and extremely secretive with what they did were just insecure and gimmicks.

Just a thought....

gfen wrote:
heritage called it with thinskin/baggie/etc, not softex.

keep it supey dupey secret though

I'm thinking it's that clear gel CCG glue he shows in them other videos?

Mmm I like the saying often imitated but never duplicated.

I do not and will not use ccg. It doesn't compare to loon's u.v. clear fly finish. Which is what I use in my videos. Not all u.v. resins are the same and I did a write up on the the three main competitor on my blog. Check it out. Links below.

JohnnyUtah wrote:

I do not and will not use ccg. It doesn't compare to loon's u.v. clear fly finish. Which is what I use in my videos. Not all u.v. resins are the same and I did a write up on the the three main competitor on my blog. Check it out. Links below.

I found the link. It wasn't below???? LOL
Thanks for the good read and honest review...

http://utahsflycorner.blogspot.com/2011/08/uv-resins-review.html

My internet is out and I'm stuck using my phone...... very limited on what I can do. Thank you for your kind words and for posting the link.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
My internet is out and I'm stuck using my phone...... very limited on what I can do. Thank you for your kind words and for posting the link.

That's not good at all. My friends and i were hoping to see some new tying videos tonight from you. Guess that's not going to happen?

If the net comes back, I will upload at least one.

JohnnyUtah wrote:

God I hope so! I'm going into withdrawal without your videos! Seriously, they are totally awesome...

JohnnyUtah wrote:

very cool, as most others tiers make us wait a month or longer for a fly pattern video. You are great! Thanks for taking the time and posting them up. I find them very helpful and wish others would do so as well. Myself, after about 30 seconds into the video you would fall asleep listening to my voice.

gaeronf wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:

God I hope so! I'm going into withdrawal without your videos! Seriously, they are totally awesome...

Gaeronf. You have some awesome youtube videos yourself.
That Hog Louse pattern of yours looks awesome. Thanks for giving me the mix for that UV dubbin blend. You saved me some $$$ today and that's just awesome as well from watching your videos.

Lol, that's actually Johnny Utah's fly! Lol, or at least he's the one who showed me it. I'm confused about what you are saying about the mix for the dubbing blend, I just buy it from johnny. lol.

gaeronf wrote:
Lol, that's actually Johnny Utah's fly! Lol, or at least he's the one who showed me it. I'm confused about what you are saying about the mix for the dubbing blend, I just buy it from johnny. lol.

My friends and i were wondering what that dubbin mix was made up of. And you said "Hears Ear" & "Fox" . So you told us what goodies are in this magical blend. We can figure the rest of the items from the name of it. LOL

Oh, lol. I just read the title :D Yea, I've tried, using the most common guesses and somehow it just doesn't turn out right. I think it's the proportions....

There is no Hares ear or fox in the blend.

Back