Pattern Suggestions for Juniata near Mount Union

N

nomad_archer

Hi everyone,

I am finally going to give this WW smallie fishing a try. I have a short fishing and camping trip planned this weekend to hit the Juniata near
Mount Union and also the Raystown Branch of the J at Warriors Path State Park.

I realized last night that I may but unprepared in the fly department. I have a box full of trout sized 4 and 6 buggers, slump busters, and leaches. I am thinking I may need a few more patterns for the smallies. I am looking for any recommendations on patterns and colors that maybe producing.

Also if anyone is willing to share any insight to fishing the area that would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished either location.

Thanks
- Nomad

nomad_archer wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am finally going to give this WW smallie fishing a try. I have a short fishing and camping trip planned this weekend to hit the Juniata near
Mount Union and also the Raystown Branch of the J at Warriors Path State Park.

I realized last night that I may but unprepared in the fly department. I have a box full of trout sized 4 and 6 buggers, slump busters, and leaches. I am thinking I may need a few more patterns for the smallies. I am looking for any recommendations on patterns and colors that maybe producing.

Also if anyone is willing to share any insight to fishing the area that would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished either location.

Thanks
- Nomad

River levels are on the high side, currently 4.8' at the Newport gage. The J fishes best when levels are under 4'. However, up around Mt Union, conditions can be different as the river is smaller scale. Hopefully, we'll avoid any more heavy rain this week.

Your buggers and slump busters are fine. I like 'em large, typically around 3" in length and 4" flies work well. Black is good when the water is stained or dirty, as has been the case this summer. Tie up some poppers and surface flies and you should be good to go.
Good luck with your trip.

Thanks Dave. I am keeping an eye on the water levels. I am also taking my trout gear in case the river is blown out. I may be able to find some cool fish able trout water in a pinch.

Don't forget some poppers too.
Charteuse ,black are good ones. Plus a few very small white Gaines poppers if the white flys are hatching.

I've had good luck on clouser crayfish and brown/white clousers minnows. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Back