Pattern Help? Donegal

If you want to get deep into this kind of stuff I'm thinking you would be interested in some of the things that were done by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch over there in the Cumberland Valley streams. (see the book "Midge Magic"). Involves stomach pump and microscope. I'm actually going in the other direction and simplifying with more general flies and that is satisfying for me.

Chanlon,

Don't let anyone dissuade you from fishing the Donegal. It's not what it once was, but there are fish to be found. Focus your efforts in the stretch between Rt. 23 (Marietta Pike) and Rt. 772 (Anderson Ferry Rd.). Just recently, I saw "breeders" in that stretch and know that there are some nice fish still within its banks. Above and below that stretch is not productive water, although there may be a few fish scattered here and there. It suffers from poaching, lack of habitat, low water volume, farmland runoff, and bank erosion, just to name a few things.

As mentioned, stockings will be returning to the creek this spring. There are still wild browns to be found; although by PFBC numbers, nowhere close to Class A biomass. For someone local, it offers angling opportunities without having to drive far.

Here's a little bit of history (from 1996) on some work that was done as well as stream info: http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/watermgt/wqp/wqstandards/tmdl/DONEGAL.pdf

Also, if you have an interest in joining like-minded individuals, consider joining the DFCA (or at least checking out a low-key meeting). We aren't promising to save the Donegal, but do what we can and drink a beer or two along the way.

http://www.donegalfish.com/

Donegal is a straight up limestone spring creek. That being said, it has numerous forms of aquatic life typical of spring creeks. Turn some vegetation over sometime and you'll find an abundance of scuds and cress bugs.

So in all your years of fly fishing you have never heard the order of importance:
Presentation
Size
Shape and then
Color

Trust me I have very specific patterns, but mostly fish generic patterns because they are easier to tie and not as heartbreaking to lose.

But I also subscribe to the idea that if a fish can spot the difference between light olive brown and regular olive brown against a highly lit background then it can surely see a large metal tail bend back up its body a third of the way, a huge metal ring at its mouth, and a shiny cable tied to that ring with a giant knot.

hi all and thanks so much -- I really appreciate it a great deal. I will be at the next TU, Donegal meeting. Thanks for the links!

Back