Pass Lake

Baron

Baron

Using what I have. The hook is a #8 Scud hook and the bend gets tricky. Since the target is Panfish I'm happy to have the shorter shank.

Attachments

• IMG_4800.jpeg
    IMG_4800.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4805.jpeg
    IMG_4805.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
Pass lake are fantastic flies.
Those would def catch trout as well as panfish and bass.

I have caught tons of trout on pass lakes.

Your top one is a near text book example .

Shakey, in my Description I failed to mention that the one pictured in the upper left is the textbook with mine laying on the book next to that image. and the second photo is mine as well. I am determined to master this little guy and am using Bart Lombardo's photo as my guide (upper left). I don't have the right tail material but it still looks pretty fishy and it is sure to catch Bass and Panfish. I'll keep whacking away at it.

They look good, Baron. I've never tied that particular fly, but your proportions look good. Think outside the box a bit with it, and change up the body colors. Black will work for panfish and bass. I think a white body and/or a chartreuse body might be even more effective.
I'm way outside the box these days, working on some Road Runner imitations.

I have never even heard of the "pass lake" pattern. I'll have to give it some research and tie a few up. Thanks Baron.

Baron wrote:
Shakey, in my Description I failed to mention that the one pictured in the upper left is the textbook with mine laying on the book next to that image. and the second photo is mine as well. I am determined to master this little guy and am using Bart Lombardo's photo as my guide (upper left). I don't have the right tail material but it still looks pretty fishy and it is sure to catch Bass and Panfish. I'll keep whacking away at it.

Great!!
You are in luck. A pass lake can have a variety of tails .
Brown hackle fibers,golden pheasant tippet ,mallard or wood duck flank etc.
You made a good choice.

These flies can be fished dry,damp,wet or as a streamer.

Another effective variation is to use peacock herl instead of chenille.
Marabou instead of calf tail . Etc

Oh!
These also work great with craft fur in place of calf tail!!

Shakey,I can see the Craft fur and also peacock.
Jerry, I can see using PMD colors in cream and yellow on a size 10.

I like to use it just below the surface or sinking very slowly.

Jif, Simple tie and one that makes me practice much needed 'proportion skills'. This came from Panfish on the Fly.

Nice fly, Baron! Looks like a great overall wet fly pattern. Tail, body collar and wing with a very nice contrast to it. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

You're welcome DC.

Jerry have you been out dancing yet?

You're welcome DC.

Jerry have you been out dancing on that new knee yet?

"Jerry have you been out dancing on that new knee yet?"
If you mean fishing, Baron. Not yet. I did spend about a 1/2 hour at a local baseball/soccer field yesterday. Test casting a couple of rods I worked on over the winter.
I needed to replace the fore grip on my favorite 6 wgt. Plus I was getting line wrap when I was trying to shoot line. Since I had to remove the two running guides to replace the grip I decided to move the guides closer to the set up on my other rods. It looks good from a distance, but close up, I wrapped over the area where the guides had been. I figure I should get a tin cup and sit in front of an Orvis store with a sign that says "Please help me buy a proper fly rod."
The other was a rod I brought from Cabela's for my nephew 25 years ago. I stripped the snake guides off and replaced them with the single foot spinning guides I use on my fly rods. I'm happy to say both rods cast well and the line slap is gone from my 6 wgt.
I'm going over to my sister's for Easter dinner and she's not far from a local creek that has a FFO stretch. I might go early and give it a shot. Otherwise, I probably won't get out till the end of April or early May when the warm water fishing starts to heat up.

let me know if that cured the problem and how the new leg worked.

Back