Pass Lake Special Mini Streamer

ezpickins

ezpickins

hook: Size 12 Streamer Hook
body: black chenille
wing: white calf tail
hackle: brown hen
tail: Golden Pheasant Tippet

The pass lake is my favorite wet fly. I came across an article talking about tying it as a streamer - so i tied up a few as size 12 mini-streamers

Attachments

• 7FAD6C6C-AB68-491F-AF9C-335428C3DF8B.jpeg
    7FAD6C6C-AB68-491F-AF9C-335428C3DF8B.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 6
This is one of my favorites for spring until topwater takes over. I've seen these tied so many ways and it would seem that the fish don't care so much. Furthermore this fly was responsible for introducing me to Calf hair. As a new Tyer I don't have allot of instinct and once I began using calf I adapted it to other flies such as small minnows. Its nice to work with.

by Baron on 2021/3/24 8:24:07 This is one of my favorites for spring until topwater takes over. I've seen these tied so many ways and it would seem that the fish don't care so much. Furthermore this fly was responsible for introducing me to Calf hair. As a new Tyer I don't have allot of instinct and once I began using calf I adapted it to other flies such as small minnows. Its nice to work with.

yes , tons of variations on this theme. I like to use a peacock bodied version as well (mostly what i’ve used in the past). But i figured this year I’d try the original chenille body versions for a change.

and yes, springtime, especially once bug activity kicks into full swing, may and early june, the pass lake wetfly seems to shine.

That's a Wisconsin staple. Top fly on the Bois Brule. I heard the story, that some minister first tied it. I think it's kind of a "jack-pine-savage" black ghost, because it's easier to tie. "Jack-pine-savage" is the pejorative for northwoods white trash. But they adapted it as a source of pride.

Pass lake is a great fly!!
I tye it with calf tail, marabou , or craft fur wing. No material seems to outfish any other.

Back