parachute post

F

flynoob

Looking to start tying to parachute dries. I bought some orvis para post but not really happy with the way it looks. I'm a bit OCD. What other materials are good for the post. I am young but prefer to have something thats "Hi-Vis"

Para post is my material of choice.

If you can, post a pic of the flies you tied.

My biggest chunk of advise with para post is divide the material in 2; tie it in like spinner wings, then fold upward to make the parachute.

As far as other hi-vis materials: calf tail (harder to manage than para though), turkey flats, CDC (expensive), or yarn.

Antron is my go to material for Para Posts. It compacts well, it's easy to work with, cheap, readily available in a variety of colors, and parachutes well when cut.

For a nice 'hi-vis' wing use two strands of Antron, one white and one orange or yellow. For 'super hi-vis' use two strands on antron, one yellow, one red/orange.

wsender wrote:
Antron is my go to material for Para Posts. It compacts well, it's easy to work with, cheap, readily available in a variety of colors, and parachutes well when cut.

For a nice 'hi-vis' wing use two strands of Antron, one white and one orange or yellow. For 'super hi-vis' use two strands on antron, one yellow, one red/orange.

I haven't tied many but Antron and poly yarn is what I use.

I use Antron or poly yarn......

I knew I was forgetting one: antron.

I prefer natural materials such as calf body hair or deer hair, followed by turkey flats for the smallest sizes (these come cheaply on feather dusters at the dollar store).

But there is no denying that antron, poly and other yarns are much faster and easier to work with. For those, I tie in as done in this video (first person I saw post this way was Borger in the mid-90's).

Tying a Small Klinkhammer by Davie Mcphail

franklin wrote:

This.

Antron wicks water. poly does not. Also, poly+gink is a happy combination.

You could also go with calf tail, calf body, turkey flats, or really just about anything...but it won't be as cheap and easy to use as poly yarn.

I use white and orange.

Para post is poly yarn treaded with watershed floatant.

Try a material called z-lon or zing , made by the same company , it's a John Betts product so it's a little expensive but not that much. and you get a ton of it in a zip lock , many colors to choose from. For natural calf tail is good. The z-lon floats better.

Calf body will tie the cleanest posts I think, followed by Cdc. I've used just about everything and keep going back to Calf and cdc.

z-lon or poly yarn if you must, but phesant tails and wets are much easier to tie and more productive:)

I do quite well with a size 14 para adams thank you!

Alpabuck wrote:
Calf body will tie the cleanest posts I think, followed by Cdc. I've used just about everything and keep going back to Calf and cdc.

Cleanest? Define "cleanest?" Calf body is a beast to work with, I end up with it damned near everywhere and a too-thin, too-short post.

Its why I think poly is the easiest to do, just cut off whatever length you want. No stacking, evening, or nothing. Just cut and go.

I just like them best! To thats all that matters to me. Tie them with white dog turds for all I care. When done the right way the finished fly is a clean pretty one IMO.

got some poly yarn and I'm pretty happy with how easy it is to work with especially for a novice like myself. thanks guys, will post some pics later

If used sparingly, super hair or unique hair make great parachute posts, you just have to use very small amounts, otherwise your wings will be too stiff and you may have some issues with leader tangling.

gfen wrote:
franklin wrote:

This.

Antron wicks water. poly does not. Also, poly+gink is a happy combination.

You could also go with calf tail, calf body, turkey flats, or really just about anything...but it won't be as cheap and easy to use as poly yarn.

I use white and orange.

So poly is better than antron? Is that what you're saying? Link me up brutha.

Back