Parachute Fly Swap

I have had a few post want to rotate on me. Is there any harm as far as float-ability to add just a small dab of super glue at this point in the tie? Maybe on the thread prior to the post may be better?

Attachments

• IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 32
I have had a few post want to rotate on me. Is there any harm as far as float-ability to add just a small dab of super glue at this point in the tie? Maybe on the thread prior to the post may be better?
I’d think that could work.
Flotation would mostly be maintained by all of the other materials.
And if it makes the fly ride a bit lower, that could be a good thing too!

Since I am still undecided I figured some of the other participants could help me by voting. Two options:
Parachute Hopper (based on Schroeder's) likely size 10 or 12
Parachute Green Drake - size 10

If there is a winner, I will tie that one

I think hooker is absolutely correct about the poly cord Kim gave us being Bonnie craft cord. I dunked a chunk of the brushed out poly cord in a bowl of water last Saturday. Four days later it’s still in there floating. If I push it down to the bottom of the bowl it slowly rises right back up to the surface. I seperate the strands, cut them off in about 2-3” sections and then brush out the section with a .22 caliber bore brush. I split the brushed out section in half and it makes two parachute posts. It definitely is pretty nice material to work with. I’ve started tying my parachute ants. When it comes time to mail them in I’ll go through the whole pile and the best ones are coming to you guys! The leftovers will go in my fly box - they will definitely all fish well. Good luck with your tying - keep us in the loop with some quality tying talk.

View attachment 1641237907
Fantastic post. I have some from Kim, will try to use it as my posting/wing material. Appreciate the prep tutorial.

So long as it's very small, because poly yarn floats, but superglue sinks.

Have you seen Tim Flagler's parachute method posts? I'm planning to rely on these.
https://www.youtube.com/@tightlinevideo/search?query=parachute method
A little more tension and a few more “figure 8” wraps did the trick. Yes I watched Tim Flagler’s video a few times and a few others. Thanks for the help. I did see he has a few specific videos for post tying. I think at first I was trying to be too sparse for thread wraps for less weight.

A little more tension and a few more “figure 8” wraps did the trick. Yes I watched Tim Flagler’s video a few times and a few others. Thanks for the help. I did see he has a few specific videos for post tying. I think at first I was trying to be too sparse for thread wraps for less weight.
I have never had that problem - I thought maybe you meant you were having trouble getting the thread to initially catch the post and the thread was spinning off the post material, which is a problem I am quite familiar with.

As I watched some videos, I realized maybe I don't have your problem because I tie my post in differently than a lot of the videos out there. It's just another Flagler video, but I use this method of lashing the back end of the post material down going backwards towards the bend:

It doesn't spin, but I could see how you wouldn't want to use this method if you were doing a quill body or something where you want less taper / bulk.

Since I am still undecided I figured some of the other participants could help me by voting. Two options:
Parachute Hopper (based on Schroeder's) likely size 10 or 12
Parachute Green Drake - size 10

If there is a winner, I will tie that one
I would also love to have one of your parachute Green Drakes.

Back