Parachute Fly Swap

JimNovo

After the fantastic thread on parachute fly materials I thought it would be time to try a fly swap.

The theme is PARACHUTES.
I don’t care about the type of insect, it just needs to be tied in a parachute pattern. Any material, any pattern!

And because this is my first swap as the host, I would like to honor the memory of WWKimba (Kim Bowman)….the ultimate fly swap-master. He was an amazing guy who hosted swaps on this forum and many others! Therefore, we will follow Kim’s usual rules for this swap:

Registration for this swap will close on Friday, October 15th or when we reach 10 members. Flies are due in to me by November 15.

I wanted to add a wrinkle and ask each fly tyer to tie 1-2 extra flies to be donated to Project Healing Waters. I’ll collect and donate in PAFF’s name, along with my yearly donation.

Swap members should remember the 5 basic things needed for a swap - your flies, debarbed, each with its own toe tag, all included in your swap box, with a SASE, all included in a sending envelope. When you register, I’ll send you all a gentle reminder.

If you are new to fly swaps or a new tyer you are most welcome to join in the fun. I got started with one of Kim’s swaps years ago and it really helped me as a fly tyer. So please don’t be afraid to dive in!!! Let me know and I can help provide you with any assistance you might need. My job is to ensure that your first swap experience is a good one!

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

Lastly - HAVE FUN!

Any questions…just PM me.

I have never done a fly swap but I have tied some for give aways. So I just pick a pattern like “The Dirty Rat” and tie about 20 or so and pick out the best ones for the swap? I have only tied a few midge style parachute fly to date so this show be intersting.

Reactions: Kms
I have never done a fly swap but I have tied some for give aways. So I just pick a pattern like “The Dirty Rat” and tie about 20 or so and pick out the best ones for the swap? I have only tied a few midge style parachute fly to date so this show be intersting.
Thanks for being the first to dive in!

Yes you just pick a parachute pattern, tie one for each person in the swap (we need 6 to run the swap…but 10 will be the max), tag them and send them! You will get a nice mix of patterns in return. I’ll send more detailed info once we get enough participants.

Excellent! Thanks for participating!!

1. paulbrown145 - The Dirty Rat
2. Iprudente - Slate Drake Parachute

Thanks for being the first to dive in!

Yes you just pick a parachute pattern, tie one for each person in the swap (we need 6 to run the swap…but 10 will be the max), tag them and send them! You will get a nice mix of patterns in return. I’ll send more detailed info once we get enough participants.
Would this be OK for tagging the flies? I know I am ahead of the game a bit, just want to be sure as it is my first swap.

Attachments

• IMG_3069.jpeg
    IMG_3069.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 36
Thanks dc410. I know you tie awesome flies!!

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant

As a participant in several of WWKimba’s fly swaps over the past few years I was the recipient of various fly tying materials that Kim had generously given to all of the participants of his swaps. He set us up with a bunch of different colors of what I assume is some type of poly or nylon rope. I will be using some of the white rope gifted to me for the posts on my parachute ant pattern for the Parachute Swap in honor of the memory of Swapmeister Kim.

IMG_0728.jpeg

As a participant in several of WWKimba’s fly swaps over the past few years I was the recipient of various fly tying materials that Kim had generously given to all of the participants of his swaps. He set us up with a bunch of different colors of what I assume is some type of poly or nylon rope. I will be using some of the white rope gifted to me for the posts on my parachute ant pattern for the Parachute Swap in honor of the memory of Swapmeister Kim.

View attachment 1641237808
I believe that if after being soaked they float, then they’re most likely polyethylene or some other polyolefin (SG<1). If they sink, then they’re probably polyester or nylon(SG>1).

Which leads me to a question: Does it matter if the parachute material floats?

Last edited:
I need practice tying a Parachute Ant so thats my fly and y'all gonna be guinea pigs

Scratch my Ant pattern, I didn't see DC's post, I'm still in but fly TBD

Thanks laszlo…
Just need a few more tyers to make this go live!

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
4. laszlo - TBD

I've never done a swap but I understand the concept. I honestly haven't tied a fly since probably April-ish and I'm not the best tier when I do practice. All that said, I could tie a few parachute sulphurs if you'd have me.

I believe that if after being soaked they float, then they’re most likely polyethylene or some other polyolefin (SG<1). If they sink, then they’re probably polyester or nylon(SG>1).

Which leads me to a question: Does it matter if the parachute material floats?
I did an experiment with the fibers from the rope that Kim had given to us. After completely soaking a section of the fibers they still floated when put into a container of water. So I would think that this material probably has a specific gravity of less than 1.

However, your question is a good one that I don’t have an answer to. I’m inclined to say that buoyancy of the post material isn’t really all that critical.

These swaps are a lot of fun if over the timeframe of the swap the participants and other forum members are back and forth with posts about what they are doing or techniques that they’re using. If someone is having some issues there’s a good chance they’ll get some good feedback to help them with their issue and as an end result make them a better tyer.

So, Kms - are you going to join in on the swap. Looks like we may need a tyer or two yet. We’d love to have you jump on board.

So, Kms - are you going to join in on the swap. Looks like we may need a tyer or two yet. We’d love to have you jump on board.
Thanks for the reply re buoyancy. I’m not participating because nobody would want my flies (yet). I signed up for the 6 week beginner fly tying class with mainline fly tyers, so maybe I’ll catch the next swap.

I'm pretty sure Kim stated regularly that it was Bonnie Craft Cord, which appears to be 100% polypropylene.

Since the first swap I did with him, in which I received a piece, I've bought at least half a dozen skeins of it. I've tied many, many parachute flies, spinners, EP style minnows, and other random streamer patterns that have caught many species. I love the stuff.

Big ups to WWKimba, running swaps on the astral plane, I'm sure.

Back