Pale Sulphur Sparkle Dun- Snowshoe Variant

lprudente

lprudente

Jerry C inspired me with his beautiful Cahill sparkle dun. Here are the ingrdients for this pattern:

Hook: Dry fly size 14
Shuck: Z-Lon Light Dun
Body: Natural Fur Dry Fly Dubbing Primrose color (pale yellow)
Wing: Snowshoe Hair- Dun color

I like this pattern for its floatablity. Also tie them with a more orange body for the central PA sulphers. Thanks to all on this site, I enjoy seeing all the great patterns in this forum.

Attachments

• Sulphur Snowshoe Sparkle Dun large.jpg
    Sulphur Snowshoe Sparkle Dun large.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 9
Great pattern and tied perfectly well done. I'm going to start my sulphur tying here soon. I'm actually sort of looking forward to it after slaving over quills for a month

Isn't the shuck supposed to be the color of the nymph?

Probably, I usually try a few different shuck colors.

falcon wrote:
Isn't the shuck supposed to be the color of the nymph?

In my experience they are either a clear/grey ish color or rusty/brown ish colored and rarely an exact match with the insect. I think that has something to do with it being a fairly thin empty husk.

Maybe try combining several colors as Sulphur nymphs are sort of mottled in the photos I have seen. I really don't know if shuck color is that important or not. I usually go with a known recipe or from what I have read.

Thanks for the input guys, like the idea of mixing colors.

Nice fly. Snowshoe rabbit is great material

That's a nice fly right there!! That fly will fish!
I tie a similar fly and agree that snowshoe is probably my favorite material. I use it for wings and body dubbing too.

Nice proportions. I find showshoe hard to handle with all the under fur and the irregular guard hair lengths. I have to watch to make sure I don't get it bulky at the tie-in. Kudos on that.
Make the body thinner and use darker shuck material.
My friend is a guide out west and he's a big advocate of thin bodies.

SYl

Back