Pa Wild Trout Summit (Recap/Commentary)

FrankTroutAngler wrote:
I enjoyed the Wild Trout Summit. I thought the part about culverts blocking the upstream migration of native brook trout and limiting genetic diversity was most interesting. I do wonder why the downstream movement of native brook trout wouldn't offset some of this problem. Maybe it does? Maybe the native brook trout in the upper-most regions would have the highest odds of limited genetic diversity?

Here's the question I submitted for the Q&A session at the end of the program:

"Slate Run (7.23 miles), along with Francis Branch (1.69 miles), located entirely in the Tiadaghton State Forest in Lycoming and Tioga counties, is currently regulated as “Catch-and-Release Fly Fishing Only.” I’ve heard that this is one of the most beautiful streams in the state, but I’ve never seen it or fished it because I don’t fly fish.

Why should fly fishermen have what amounts to private club water all to themselves? I could understand it if this was on private land and the landowner demanded it, but this stream is entirely on public land, yet only a small privileged group can fish there. To me this isn’t much different than what the Spring Ridge Club attempted to do on the Little Juniata River (trying to make public land private), except that the PFBC, acting much like the Spring Ridge Club, has succeeded in making a private stream for fly fishermen on public land.

In the spirit of fairness to all anglers, would you please consider changing the regulations on Slate Run (and Francis Branch) to, at minimum, include artificial lure anglers, such as “Trophy Trout Artificial Lures Only,” or “Catch-and-Release All Tackle”?"

Obviously, this question wasn't chosen to be answered by the panel, possibly because it is somewhat off-topic but more likely because there is no defensible answer. Instead, they chose to answer a lot of questions that if the questioner had been paying attention to the program they would have already known the answer.

Since you (FrankTroutAngler) fish with spinners, how about the bait fisher's argument that they are shut out of ALO reg areas.

CR-FFO as well as CR-ALO regs exist only because C&R bait fishing is really an oxymoron. Bait fishing kills a lot more fish and really defeats the whole purpose of C&R....releasing fish unharmed.

I even know a few gun hunters that complain because they can't hunt during archery season. Or others others that complain because they can't fire up their engines on electric motor only lakes. Some guys just find a reason to complain. If they put all that time and energy into trying to preserve fisheries, they and we would all be better off.

There are very few FFO regs remaining in PA. I really don't think it's such a big deal if they go away and are converted to ALO, but full All-tackle would be a step backwards, IMO.

Frank is correct, there is no justification for FFO on public land unless it is a small set-aside of the total miles of public water. Slate Run and other similar streams should be open to full harvest, the fishery be damned!

Thanks for the video links Afish.

I'm looking forward to viewing the presentations and hearing the PFBC's views on wild trout management.

Speaking very broadly about the topic - like many of you I'm old enough to remember the adoption of Operation Future in the early 1980s - I think the PFBC has made great strides over the last three decades in surveying, identifying, quantifying, and protecting wild trout populations.

While we can, and do, sometimes disagree with PFBC trout policies...there is no doubt in my mind that, taking the long view, the PFBC deserves kudos for the excellent wild trout fishing opportunities we enjoy today.

Aw, c'mon, Jack. It's bad enough that Frank compares publicly accessible Slate Run to the posted, private homewaters (src) club, which is certainly an illogical, idiotic comparison.

It is difficult for me to understand his ill will here. There are so very few restricted FFO areas, and if Frank and others wanted to fish them, they could pick up fly rods (as someone else suggested) and begin to learn the many intricacies of fly-fishing rather than just continue the mind-numbing tossing of spinners upstream and cranking them back downstream hour after hour.

I have met Frank in the past and generally think of him as a decent guy. But, the only reason I can think of his posting of his inflammatory ideas on this fly-fishing site is so that he can anger a group of enthusiastic fly-fishermen. Perhaps this makes him feel good.

At any rate, it appears that he has succeeded at getting under some guys' skins; and when other posters who are probably out fishing and enjoying Labor Day read this, he will probably get under their skins as well.

Perhaps the moderators ought to delete his post to avoid the nastiness that is surely to come.

(And, as I recall, Frank once vowed that he was not going to post on this site again, so he certainly must have put this post up in a spirit of meanness.)

The topic of the summit was "PA wild trout."

People are so easily diverted off topic by "shiny," look-over-here things, in this case spin fishing vs fly fishing.

Going back to the topic, I thought the summit should have covered the issue of the widespread stocking of hatchery trout over native brook trout, and the effect of that on the quantity of brook trout populations.

And what can be done to improve the situation. I think this is an area where the PFBC, other agencies, and conservation-minded anglers could work together and get good results.

Jack is being facetious.

Frank can buy a fly rod and fish Slate Run just like any other PA angler. it's nothing like a private club. Ridiculous comparison.

FFO areas are great places to inspire people to get into fly fishing. I hate to see them go. It's how I got started and what a difference it has made in my life. The quality (for me) of catching trout on bait or spinners vs flies doesn't even compare.

The conservation ethic and aesthetic values that are found in the catch and release ideology began as a part of the tradition of fly fishing. Fly fishing is still the best way to introduce those ideas.

Frank might very well be a closet fly fisherman. Many of the guys on this site fish spinning rods so no big deal as far as stirring the pot.

Because there are NEVER restrictions on what can be done on public land... Hey, I can't drink in state parks! Why, that's right on par with a private, upscale restaurant that doesn't allow you to bring your own hooch into their dining room!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Because there are NEVER restrictions on what can be done on public land... Hey, I can't drink in state parks! Why, that's right on par with a private, upscale restaurant that doesn't allow you to bring your own hooch into their dining room!

Seems to me you can't drink alcohol in ALL state parks. Therefore, your little comparison doesn't apply here.

JackM wrote:
Frank is correct, there is no justification for FFO on public land unless it is a small set-aside of the total miles of public water. Slate Run and other similar streams should be open to full harvest, the fishery be damned!

No doubt you're trying to be facetious, but if you had gone to the Wild Trout Summit you would have learned that further tackle restrictions on wild trout streams are not needed because surveys/studies have shown that anglers who fish wild trout streams embrace the C&R philosophy and keep few trout.

I'm going from memory here, but I believe it was Mike Kaufmann who said surveys/studies have shown that anglers creel only about seven trout per mile per year on wild trout streams. I don't have time to go back and listen to his talk, so if he reads this he can correct me or confirm what I've said if he wishes. (Actually, I would appreciate it if he would do that.)

Therefore, if Slate Run and the lower end of Francis Branch were opened to Catch-and-Release All-Tackle regulations (with no creeling allowed) there would likely be no noticeable impact to the fishery or the quality of the fishing. Even under general harvest regulations there would likely be no noticeable impact.

By the way, I never said Slate Run/Francis Branch should be open to full harvest.

rrt wrote:
Geez, Frank, why would you post this on a fly-fishing site? You know you are going to incur the ire of people on here for this.

This post would be like me posting on a spinfishing site that I fished a section of creek only two days after you did and that I found six dead trout, probably from multiple-hook stress. If I then suggested that spinfishers limit themselves to single-hook spinners, I imagine that would stir up the spinfishermen. (By the way, this example is true.)

Anyhow, I think is poor taste on your part to put up this post on this fly-fishing site where you have been involved in such nasty arguments in the past.

I posted it because it's a tough question for fly fishers and it's time to give serious thought to this inequity. I'm not concerned about the ire I'll receive from my tough question. I believe if some fly fishers think deeply about my question rather that submit an emotional, knee-jerk response (not yours) that they'll actually agree with me, though I wouldn't expect them to admit it on a fly fishing website.

If you posted that spinner fishermen should limit themselves to one-point hooks, I'd remind you of the following written on this site by "Mike" on 6/12/2014 under the thread "Re. Do bait and spinners kill more fish?"

("Mike" is Mike Kaufmann, Area 6 (SE PA) Fisheries Manager with the PFBC.)

He wrote:

"Treble vs single hooks have been tested scientifically and the results published in the scientific literature. Angler lore and emotions aside, here are the results.

Single hooks on spinners cause significantly greater delayed mortality due to the deep hooking in vital areas of the mouth and esophagus. The vital areas, such as the tongue, bleed excessively, resulting in delayed mortality.

One study countered this with small, wild brook trout. I observed that the problem in that case was that the treble hooks were TOO SMALL, most likely resulting in all three hooks being engulfed by the brook trout. This occurs in the field and is easily corrected by anglers by using slightly larger hooks, which usually prevents all three hooks from being taken by the fish. Another way to correct the problem in the field if anglers do not have lures with larger treble hooks or spare hooks is to break one of the hooks off the treble combination. There is a too small treble hook that is placed on some lures which allows all three points to barely fit into the mouth of the wild brookies of a common sublegal size. The three points hold the mouth shut when an angler tries to extract the hook and provide a real challenge to the angler, increasing the holding time and jaw damage.

As for the scientific studies evaluating barbed vs barbless hooks and delayed trout mortality, the barbless hooks cause one percent less delayed mortality. This insignificant difference is so small that anglers would not be able to detect it in fish populations. Additionally, any angler worrying about this amount of additional delayed mortality should not be lifting fish from the water to unhook the fish, be using very light tippets during trico time, or be taking photos of fish held out of the water in my opinion."

I'll add that I use #10 VMC treble hooks on my spinners and I do not crimp down the barbs. For several years now I've been keeping track of how many points of my treble hook are embedded in trout flesh when I unhook them. I've logged probably 40,000 trout during my "study." I've found that most trout are hooked with one point (around 50% - 60%), another 30% - 40% are hooked with two points, and well less than 10% of the trout I catch have all three points of my treble hook in their flesh.

I'll also add that since trout quickly become wary about striking a spinner a second time, in the course of a year it would not surprise me if an individual trout gets many more hook injuries from flies than from spinners since it is getting caught many more times on flies.

Frank, I must admit that I do my best to hold onto my "cool" when I read material the likes of which you posted here. I know your brother, Mark, and I admire and respect him, I hold him in high regard. You, however, seem to enjoy eliciting emotional responses from those you hold in obvious disdain: fly fishers.

I resent being called privileged, first of all. And then to have a fly fishing restriction compared to the Spring Ridge Club takes the cake. Anyone, including you, can fish these specially regulated waters as long as you employ the approved tackle. No one is required to pay many thousands of dollars to join a club as well as pay to fish each time you visit said water. This feeble attempt at comparing the two is like comparing a peanut to a medicine ball.

As mentioned by someone earlier the core argument you present is so similar to the argument that some bait fishers present. I was in a meeting in the past when a bait fisher attempted to make a plea for charging anyone to fish in a specially regulated section of stream where the regulations didn't allow bait as well as not allowing harvest of trout. His position was that many folks can't fish there; however, their license money is used to pay for raising the fish stocked there. As crazy as this may sound there's a tad more validity to that argument than there is to yours. The only thing keeping someone from fishing these waters is their CHOICE to use other tackle. Keep in mind that there are a fair number of anglers who choose to use spinning tackle at times and at other times they choose to use fly tackle. The only one keeping you from fishing the Slate Run area is YOU...by choice!

If you truly care about wild trout why, in anyone's name, would you do your best to drive a wedge between fly fishers and those who don't. This is truly way beyond my ability to comprehend (I know by writing this I have opened myself to the possibility of much critique of my mental faculties). Your motive(s) now is/are suspect. To work for protection of our wild trout fisheries we need to unite with all anglers who value wild trout no matter what tackle they employ in their pursuit to capture them, admire them and then release the vast majority of them.

By the way, if it were up to me I'd do away with the fly fishing only regs. Your inflammatory post sure doesn't do anything to try to bring me aboard as an ally; rather, it makes me feel as though you view me as an adversary. Actually, you've convinced me that this is your view of fly fishers. Us? The enemy? Why??

rrt wrote:
Aw, c'mon, Jack. It's bad enough that Frank compares publicly accessible Slate Run to the posted, private homewaters (src) club, which is certainly an illogical, idiotic comparison.

It is difficult for me to understand his ill will here. There are so very few restricted FFO areas, and if Frank and others wanted to fish them, they could pick up fly rods (as someone else suggested) and begin to learn the many intricacies of fly-fishing rather than just continue the mind-numbing tossing of spinners upstream and cranking them back downstream hour after hour.

I have met Frank in the past and generally think of him as a decent guy. But, the only reason I can think of his posting of his inflammatory ideas on this fly-fishing site is so that he can anger a group of enthusiastic fly-fishermen. Perhaps this makes him feel good.

At any rate, it appears that he has succeeded at getting under some guys' skins; and when other posters who are probably out fishing and enjoying Labor Day read this, he will probably get under their skins as well.

Perhaps the moderators ought to delete his post to avoid the nastiness that is surely to come.

(And, as I recall, Frank once vowed that he was not going to post on this site again, so he certainly must have put this post up in a spirit of meanness.)

I believe my comparison is perfectly valid and makes my whole point very strong.

In the case of the Spring Ridge Club, they tried to take away my right to fish spinners on public property. Thankfully, they failed. In the case of the PFBC, they have succeeded in taking away my right to fish spinners on public property. In both cases an "entity" tried or succeeded to exclude me from public property. This is a perfectly valid comparison.

What's idiotic and illogical is that fly fishers have their own private fishing waters (almost 9 miles of water) on public property for no good fisheries-based reason.

As to your mention of there being so few FFO areas, can I assume you would be okay with it if the PFBC decided in fairness to make a few miles of Centre County's Spring Creek NFF (Non-Fly Fishing)? After all, it would just be a few miles of water, so it's no big deal, right? I bet that would go over big with fly fishers.

As to you mentioning I could just pick up a fly rod and fish Slate Run/Francis Branch, put the shoe on the other foot for a moment. How many fly fishers would switch to lures or bait if Slate Run/Francis Branch were currently NFF water? The answer is somewhere near zero, so for all practical purposes they would be excluded just like I am now.

I guess you're trying to get under my skin with your comment about spinner fishing being the "mind-numbing tossing of spinners upstream and cranking them back downstream hour after hour" while fly fishing has many intricacies. The comment doesn't bother me a bit. I'm quite at peace with spinner fishing. I would be bored silly standing at one pool casting repeatedly over a trout. Many years ago I fished dry flies, so I know the excitement of having a trout rise to my dry fly. To me that feeling doesn't even come close to the excitement of watching a trout charge up behind and attack my spinner. To each his own I guess.

I had no ill will in posting my thought-provoking question on this site. If I angered some enthusiastic fly fishermen, perhaps it's time they ask themselves why they are angry? I'm hoping it wakes up some fly fishers. Maybe some of them will think, "You know, Frank does make a good point. It's kind of selfish of us to expect to have private water on public property for no good fisheries-based reason.
And besides, if non-fly fishers could fish there I could still fish there anyway. Why am I being so selfish?" I'm also hoping that some people from the PFBC read this, particularly Mr. Arway. Maybe it will get them thinking too.

By the way, I never vowed to not post on this or any other site again.

"
If you truly care about wild trout why, in anyone's name, would you do your best to drive a wedge between fly fishers and those who don't. This is truly way beyond my ability to comprehend (I know by writing this I have opened myself to the possibility of much critique of my mental faculties). Your motive(s) now is/are suspect. To work for protection of our wild trout fisheries we need to unite with all anglers who value wild trout no matter what tackle they employ in their pursuit to capture them, admire them and then release the vast majority of them"

This whole paragraph is a contradiction. We need to unite and we don't want to drive a wedge between fly fisherman and others yet we need to have our own separate fly fishing areas? I don't care a whole lot about the FFO areas one way or the other. I like to respect fly fishings heritage even if I fly fish 2 times or 10 times a year. Frankly, the fishing is much better in non special reg streams anyhow. Fishing both with flies and with spin tackle makes appreciate both sides a bit. I'll lose no sleep over it however. Flyfisherman may be the minority of fisherman but they are the LOUD minority (not a negative comment). FFO areas will be around for a while.

I just find it funny you picked a thread about protecting wild trout in Pennsylvania to complain about 7 miles of water that you are legally allowed to fish.

Slate Run is a nationally recognized treasure. And how many miles of trout streams (stocked or otherwise) exist in PA? This may sound like I consider myself to be "elite", but I am not: Over the past 50 years I have fished AT waters, FFO waters, DH waters, and I will say that the FFO waters are largely without litter. Which leads to landowner issues, and lost waters. Any of you can say what you want, but it is true. So if that makes me "elite", so be it. Tired of picking up litter and bait containers along the Tulpehocken Creek DH, my home stream.

Frank, your believe that you have a valid comparison regarding the SRC and PFBC's ffo areas is absurd. With the SRC it's not that they're prohibiting you and your spinning tackle: it's that, unless you pay multiple thousands of dollars to join (I had been told initiation fee is around $90,000. and multiple thousands in yearly dues, along with paying to fish each visit), you also must use fly tackle. This was not public property as you assert: it was owned by the Esby's. They had allowed fishing to all until they decided to start a fishing club which was basically pay to fish. Later, Beaver gained the fishing rights to the water and things got crazy. SRC did not take away your right to fish public water. Both the Esby family and SRC believed they had the right to exclude anglers from fishing this water. Remember, it took a legal challenge in court to finally determine this is navigable water with anglers having the right to fish as long as they remain below the high water mark.

There is no cost above a fishing license to fish ffo waters managed by PFBC. One could argue that it's my choice that keeps me from fishing SRC waters: not true. I don't have the financial means to be able to afford the fees required; therefore, I am not in a position to be afforded the choice to fish there. Perhaps the same might hold true for you, as well; however, you and I both have the ability to take up a fly rod to fish in ffo managed waters. Since it is a choice thing you have chosen to exclude yourself from fishing these waters.

And, I ask that you PLEASE read the last paragraph of my previous post. You know, the part where I wrote, "If it were up to me..." If you thought you were posting with no ill will to provoke thought you would have used some real tact and you would have been a bit respectful: you did neither. You did just the opposite. You provoked something, all right: ire!

Interesting discussion. I dont think there is really a spin vs fly thing here, maybe more a question of what works in internet discussion groups like paff. I am not sure that Frank's general approach of exhaustively documenting his own achievements works so well online in a discussion board. imagine if dwight, who many of us know first hand as an extremely gracious and humble guy, were prone to tossing around hyperdetailed stats on how many PA streams he'd fished when he posts online... not his m.o. at all , and even though he has the experience, it would get tired if he did it. Imagine if one fly fisherman here put out detailed reports every year about exactly how many fish they caught, how many they caught on their best day, how many in consecutive casts, ... wouldn't really work on a forum like paff imho. So maybe it is not spin v fly...

Kind of a shame that we don't know of Frank's achievements more from second hand sources, and as dwight once noted, that frank doesn't so much weigh in on general interest things, like the drought impact that many of us probably care about... might work better imho...

Well, for whatever reason Frank posted his mean-spirited diatribe on this site, it did (1) hijack this thread and (2) upset many people who care about wild trout and trout fishing.

I, for one, would not be upset if 7 miles of water were declared SFO (spin fishing only). I'd fish elsewhere.

As I noted previously, I think of Frank as basically a decent guy. I do not believe, however, his motivation for the post, especially on this site and this topic, was to initiate thoughtful discussion: I do believe it was made in a spirit of nastiness to upset/irritate the group of fly-fishermen who regularly visit the site, and I am sorry to see him sink to this level.

OldLefty wrote:
Frank, your believe that you have a valid comparison regarding the SRC and PFBC's ffo areas is absurd. With the SRC it's not that they're prohibiting you and your spinning tackle: it's that, unless you pay multiple thousands of dollars to join (I had been told initiation fee is around $90,000. and multiple thousands in yearly dues, along with paying to fish each visit), you also must use fly tackle. This was not public property as you assert: it was owned by the Esby's. They had allowed fishing to all until they decided to start a fishing club which was basically pay to fish. Later, Beaver gained the fishing rights to the water and things got crazy. SRC did not take away your right to fish public water. Both the Esby family and SRC believed they had the right to exclude anglers from fishing this water. Remember, it took a legal challenge in court to finally determine this is navigable water with anglers having the right to fish as long as they remain below the high water mark.

There is no cost above a fishing license to fish ffo waters managed by PFBC. One could argue that it's my choice that keeps me from fishing SRC waters: not true. I don't have the financial means to be able to afford the fees required; therefore, I am not in a position to be afforded the choice to fish there. Perhaps the same might hold true for you, as well; however, you and I both have the ability to take up a fly rod to fish in ffo managed waters. Since it is a choice thing you have chosen to exclude yourself from fishing these waters.

And, I ask that you PLEASE read the last paragraph of my previous post. You know, the part where I wrote, "If it were up to me..." If you thought you were posting with no ill will to provoke thought you would have used some real tact and you would have been a bit respectful: you did neither. You did just the opposite. You provoked something, all right: ire!

The bottom line to the issue on the Little Juniata River was that the SRC was trying to prohibit anglers from fishing public water, including me. Anglers joining their club is totally irrelevant to the discussion, as is when it was deemed "public water" because it was public water all along; it just took a court case to prove it. The PFBC is prohibiting me from fishing spinners on public water (Slate Run/Francis Branch - State Forest Land). Had the SRC somehow won their court case despite the LJR being public property (which wouldn't even make sense), I would have been prohibited from fishing public water in both cases. My comparison is perfectly valid.

(This has nothing to do with joining the SRC or fishing their private waters; never said it did.)

If I were a fly fisher the post by FrankTroutAngler would not have invoked any ire in me. I would have thought he made a lot of good points.

rrt wrote:
Well, for whatever reason Frank posted his mean-spirited diatribe on this site, it did (1) hijack this thread and (2) upset many people who care about wild trout and trout fishing.

I, for one, would not be upset if 7 miles of water were declared SFO (spin fishing only). I'd fish elsewhere.

As I noted previously, I think of Frank as basically a decent guy. I do not believe, however, his motivation for the post, especially on this site and this topic, was to initiate thoughtful discussion: I do believe it was made in a spirit of nastiness to upset/irritate the group of fly-fishermen who regularly visit the site, and I am sorry to see him sink to this level.

So Rich, you're calling me a liar. Nice. People who actually know me would tell you that I am honest to a fault. I even round my trout down to the nearest 1/2-inch.

The people who got upset should ask themselves why. If I were a fly angler I wouldn't haven't gotten the least bit upset.

Back