Pa Trout Maps App?

mute

mute

So im starting to slowly get back into the blue lining game and am wondering what every ones doing in terms of managing their waters. Ar eyou just using the PA Arcgis maps? Creating your own pin on google maps? Is there third party paid applications that make stuff like this easier to manage and keep track of?

Check out the "GPS guide to fishing Pennsylvania" app, it's not free, but I forget how much it costs, $10 I think.
You can mark waypoints on it, major streams are on the map, with spots for fishing, there are also blue lines everywhere to explore.
good luck,
>kevin

Kevin82, So I have that GPS guide to fishing Pennsylvania, but anytime I get anywhere remote, I'm at the mercy of cell service and it just fails on me.

Am I just doing it wrong? Have you had better luck?

I use the PA GPS Fishing App along with the PA Fish Commission Maps and Google Maps and also have a Garmin Oregon. Honestly don't really need any of them. The Fish Commission map is okay, but they haven't tested a lot of the mountain streams. My recommendation is use a paper map and go enjoy the wilderness, but wait until spring now because stream levels are still extremely low on freestones in central and norther PA.

pa arc map works fine

I use personalized Google Maps for much of my traveling and fishing interests. This can be found and created in your Google Drive if you have an account. I create hot spots, parking locations, food stops, gas stations, and favorite fly shops all over the region.

I also use this for my family vacations and trip planning.

Color me confused, but in remote areas with no cell service is GPS mapping and/or routing & navigating to a location on a phone working...?

Up in most of Tioga, Potter & Clinton there is no cell service except in bigger towns...

So when I started exploring remote waters, I bought a handheld GPS and created my own database of waypoints on the maps I could load in the GPS and never looked back.

I can also navigate to and from locations with the GPS with no issues no matter where I am which can be a BIG plus in the hinterlands.

I use the PA Fish Commission Maps, Google Maps/Earth and Alltrails when I'm planning many of my blue line trips.

Google Maps and Alltrails allow you to download chunks of maps that are accessible offline so if you have a clear line-of-sight for GPS, you don't really need cell service to navigate your way back off a remote stream.

Bamboozle wrote:
Color me confused, but in remote areas with no cell service is GPS mapping and/or routing & navigating to a location on a phone working...?

Up in most of Tioga, Potter & Clinton there is no cell service except in bigger towns...

So when I started exploring remote waters, I bought a handheld GPS and created my own database of waypoints on the maps I could load in the GPS and never looked back.

I can also navigate to and from locations with the GPS with no issues no matter where I am which can be a BIG plus in the hinterlands.

A phone with a mapping app works just fine without cell service, provided you cache the area you want to explore ahead of time, or cut map tiles of a region. GPS usage and availability has nothing to do with cell service (although some GPS related apps will use cellular data to download maps, if cell service is available). I have all the areas of the state that I fish loaded from USGS topos, zoom levels 11-15. I use an app called Oruxmaps and free PC software to download the map tiles ahead of time. With this data loaded and my phone in airplane mode, it functions exactly the same as your handheld GPS unit.

Can you leave a breadcrumb track of where where you walked or hiked so you can follow your way out if you get disoriented in the woods or the map is wrong?

And does the phone in airplane mode do turn by turn navigation on the road without cell service and how good is the satellite fix with a phone in deep cover.

I'm asking because I'm not glued to a phone and don't use one for mapping and I've been in remote places where getting a satellite fix on a really good GPS can be tough because of cover or terrain.

I have most of central and north-central Pa cached on Google maps for that very reason. It won't give me directions, but I have GPS and it will give me enough formation.

I have been experimenting with an app called GAIA GPS. It's a paid service of about $19/year. This lets you record, save, routes, offroad, waypoints and trails. It's designed for out of cell coverage and off roading. Commonly used by offroaders out west. No turn by turn even in cell coverage.

I'm trying to see if I can import all my KMZ waypoints and hot spots into it from Google Maps.

Here is an example of the custom Google Maps

Interesting subject. Hope this continues a bit.

This is all good info. I have been looking for a way to get more organized. I'm going to check out the custom google map idea. Thanks!

dkile wrote:
I have most of central and north-central Pa cached on Google maps for that very reason. It won't give me directions, but I have GPS and it will give me enough formation.

I have been experimenting with an app called GAIA GPS. It's a paid service of about $19/year. This lets you record, save, routes, offroad, waypoints and trails. It's designed for out of cell coverage and off roading. Commonly used by offroaders out west. No turn by turn even in cell coverage.

I'm trying to see if I can import all my KMZ waypoints and hot spots into it from Google Maps...
My handheld GPS will do turn by turn, even on a topo map. That gets me to the creek, or an access point for the creek with a single device.

I also can create my own tracks & trails on the maps based on the way I walked in which pays huge dividends if there are limited ways in or out due to steep terrain or trails on the maps are wrong or nonexistent. That feature alone has saved me a lot a time, not to mention got me out of the woods quickly, especially in dense rhododendron where it is easy to get turned around or find the same way out that you went in.

Many years back, I created unique waypoints for every stream or stream section in the counties I fish. I have those all organized by county. When I go to fish where I need a map, I load in just the waypoints for that county so I don't have as much map clutter when zoomed out.

This system has been working great for me for close to 20 years and I don't have to carry around a phone at those places where I couldn't make calls if I wanted to.

I think I'll stick with a handheld GPS... ;-)

Bamboozle, which handheld GPS unit do you have?

OnX maps is the way to go for on the ground navigation, but I carry multiple redundancies. Cache google maps for turn by turn driving directions. OnX can track your route, mark waypoints, download both Topo and satelllite maps, AND it shows land ownership. If the maps are downloaded then throw in airplane mode when in the field to use as GPS. If it can get me out of the grouse woods it will get you off the trout stream.

Gene:

Right now, I am still using my Garmin GPSMap 60CSX that is close to 20 years old. Today’s equivalent would be one of units in the 65 or 64x series. I haven’t upgraded because other than a few minor benefits and a bigger screen, my old unit still does the job. I also have been hopelessly waiting & hoping for Garmin to add “categories” to the software in the handhelds like they have in their Nuvi series of automotive GPS units.

The last time I checked, handhelds don’t have “category” sorting so I’ll stick with my 60CSX. FWIW – With categories, I could organize my waypoints by a myriad of criteria like for example, wild trout streams, species of trout, special regulation type, when it is open or closed to fishing at a certain time of year, proximity to camping, you name it. Then when I am looking through a list of potential spots, I don’t have to scroll through as much stuff to find things of interest. I have a Nuvi in my car and in that, I can have my waypoints categorized. That is a huge time saver if I am looking for something specific, but I can’t use the Nuvi in the woods…

I have the Garmin City Navigator & Topo 24K maps loaded in my GPS that allow me to use the GPS for navigation and it gives me turn-by-turn directions. I use the Gamin Base Camp software and the same maps in my PC to create, manage and organize my waypoints AND CREATE MY OWN routes to places, versus letting the GPS do it for me. When I go fishing, I load my routes, tracks & waypoints into the unit and off I go.

Regarding routes, I can’t tell you how many thousands of times, letting the GPS create a route would have proved a disaster, especially if you want to go a specific way to avoid certain roads, problems or if the GPS map is wrong, WHICH HAPPENS. I use my GPS to get me vacation destinations and I can tell without a doubt, there is NO WAY the GPS would route me the way I go. By creating my own route and loading it in, I avoid that hassle. It’s like the old days of going to AAA and getting them to plan a route.

Trust me, even Google Maps are wrong until somebody reports the error and they get around to fixing it. All routing devices rely on satellite coordinates to get you from point A to point B, which are displayed on a map used to create the route. If the map is wrong, the routing device will send you the wrong way. A few years back I reported to both Google & Garmin that neither had the recently opened Exit 87 – Route 903 on the I-Northeast Extension I-476 on their maps. That would have meant anyone using a phone or a GPS to get to Jim Thorpe or Hickory Run would have been sent the old long way…

I also have the ability to create custom waypoint symbol shapes that I color code depending on the type of stream it is. That really helps a LOT when you are looking at 100 dots on a screen and you can tell at least SOMETHING about them by the color or shape.

I get folks desire to use their phones for everything and when they come out with a toilet paper app, I guess they will have reached nirvana. However for me, the flexibility of a GPS, the ability to use regular alkaline batteries that are long lasting and easily replaced, a built in electronic compass, it’s waterproof and the superior antennas in a handheld GPS including GLONAS satellite tracking, means I will get a signal in the deepest forested canyon I fish…

…and I get back out to talk about it.

Bamboozle:

Great points with pros and cons, but i would debate a few..

Everything has its purpose. Everything does something very well while something else does its own thing very well. Its rare to find something that does EVERYTHING well without its own cons. With that being said, I'm sure a dedicated GPS unit does GPS tracking very very well.

However i don't see how some of the points mentioned are accurate when comparing a dedicated handheld GPS unit to a modernized smart phone. The amount of technology packed into your average $600-$1400 flagship smart phone is very rich, not only tied directory to GPS functionalities, but others that would help in these environments.

We mentioned batteries and how a very low idle wattage consumption on a small screened dedicated GPS unit is a PRO to a flagship smart phone. While i will partially agree, and without knowing or bothering to lookup the specifications to continue to further debate. I always and would reccomend carrying a powerbank with you. They are super cheap, virtually non existant size wise and provide much more value then just making sure you have plenty of hours and even days of a continually charged battery on your said smart device. I also use it to power my GoPro 24\7 when im out. Fits in my pocket and provides endless amounts of constant power for days before its capacity is exhausted. Same would be said for a phone. So with that being said, I personally wouldnt promote the easy use of AA batteries as a pro.

Going back to the price, smart phones these days can be very pricey. If youre carrying around your all in one technical utility solution that does virtually anything a laptop can do as far as internet connectivity you probably dont want to spend another few hundred bucks on dedicated GPS device.

Lastly I would debate the topic around map accuracy and routing the most. Relying on outdated maps or trying to update a GPS handheld to have the most up to date routing and road closures is no where near as automated or reliable as utilizing the billions of devices out there that Google already manages data for. And what I mean by that is up to date maps, routing, road closures or exits isnt just some once a year done activity by the Alphabet company. They have realtime continuous algorithms that continually correct and self remediate or adjust on its own. For example, the real-time traffic, all based on smart phone devices and their moving speed on X highway thats rated for X speed limit. If the maps say a route doesnt exist, and the algorithm shows devices moving through a non-existant route or path on the map, the algorithm picks up on that right away. Thats the brilliance of technology and automation. Which is why i would heavily argue the statement of saying handheld GPS units are more reliable or have better up to date map and route information then a Maps service provided by someone like Google.

Fun fact, a man once created a massive traffic jam on google maps by taking a wagon full of smart phones and standing with them at a bridge. After a short duration of time the Google Maps traffic shows a slow down and ultimately a fake jam at that location because of those devices being present and not moving.

Lastly, I personally would definitely NOT rely on only a AA powered device as my saving grace as im X miles in the middle of no where while leaving my phone at home or what have you. If an emergency or disaster happened like say you slipped and got knocked on conscious. Even if your smart phone had no signal. It ultimately would be able to be tracked by the history of your location from leaving the house, arriving at the destination, disappearing into the woods at X point. Youd have a hell of a better chance of getting found through telemetry and location history then you would if you only had a handheld GPS.

With that being said, I am possibly interested in a dedicated GPS device if it has features like you mentioned involving categories and such as that could only make it help and less frustrating depending on the amount of years and dedicated you plan on putting into keeping track of 100's of stream explorations.

First off, I know "diddly" about navigating and GPS on a smartphone so I am not necessarily arguing that a GPS is better.

But...

Battery power is not worth arguing about, but it is nice to know that the same batteries that power my headlamp work in my GPS.

I also still wonder about how good the satellite fix WITH NO CELL SERVICE is on a phone compared to a GPS. Today you get the GPS satellites and the GLONAS satellites on a singe device which can give you accuracy within 10 feet or less at times.

And what about dense cover or heavy cloud cover. I realize it isn't the same thing, but you can lose satellite radio or TV under heavy cloud cover or rain. Can you get turn-by-turn directions with a smartphone under those conditions with no cell service?

Getting to a creek on a paved road or fishing some small stream in the Poconos is a whole lot different than finding your way on some old logging road in the middle of nowhere in a densely forested area or finding you way back from fishing in a deep forested canyon.

Also, what about the ruggedness of a smartphone versus a GPS. I would hate to drop a $1400 smart phone on a rock or in the water. Yea I know you can get a waterproof ruggedized case, but does anybody REALLY do that?

The following is is an argument...;-)

Maps, I don't have the time but I can guarantee you despite what you say, I can easily find more than a few inaccuracies on online maps of some of the regions I fish. Major road innacuracies are corrected rather quickly but not so the inaccuracies on old logging roads.

And if you think outfits like Google update things automatically without being told, that is far from accurate. That's the biggest reason I never use ANY mapping software to find points of interest when I travel. That is always researched ahead of time and only then is a waypoint created and loaded for the POI.

End of argument...

My only reason for buying a GPS was to have a reliable method of getting to and fro and being able to know where I am no matter where I am. That was WELL before $1000 phones.

About the only time I use the handheld GPS is if I think I may get lost in the woods or don't know how to get to where I may get lost. At places like that, I really never even bother carrying a phone because I can't make calls and it is just something that may get broken or lost. I also don't take pictures of the fish I catch (I used to, but I got over it) so I don't need a phone for that either.

It would be nice if they made a combination smartphone/flask with a built in lighter, cigar cutter and hook disgorger...Then I might be inclined to carry it even if I had no cell service...

In the meantime, it doesn't matter, we both get the results we are after with our chosen devices.

Mine was just cheaper... ;-)

Fair points again. Id definitely debate you on how accurate or reliable google map service is in terms of changes, automation or timing of said updates compared to a GPS unit.

Also, with the ability of pre-caching and technology, all turn by turn and rerouting of directions is all totally existant on smart devices with out any service of any kind, the only thing you lack is up to date traffic information which is invalid for any of this discussion.

As far as these middle of no where logging roads in east ja bip where youre fishing remote streams that have 20lb wild browns under roofs of concrete. Let me know of said locations and ill give you the answer of the accuracy of my device. Those are definitely places im not fishing.

FYIW any modern flag ship phone with the latest broadcom GPS L5 chipsets as of 2 years ago have accuracy up to a few decimeters.

Regardless of choice like you said, i am browsing some handhelds now, any newer reccomendations based on the older model you use?

Back