Pa Trout Maps App?

Thank you Bamboozle as I was just wondering as I did mention to the wife about getting a handheld GPS. She stated that I’m on the wrong side of 70 years old to be prancing around in the back country and that I should get a new Garmin for the car. She said that would get me close enough to any place that I would want to fish with my age and bad back. Besides my current Garmin is so old that the battery will not stay charged and I must use it always plugged in and don’t know if I can get map updates.

I think I will be getting a new Garmin for the car.

Bamboozle wrote:
Can you leave a breadcrumb track of where where you walked or hiked so you can follow your way out if you get disoriented in the woods or the map is wrong?

And does the phone in airplane mode do turn by turn navigation on the road without cell service and how good is the satellite fix with a phone in deep cover.

I'm asking because I'm not glued to a phone and don't use one for mapping and I've been in remote places where getting a satellite fix on a really good GPS can be tough because of cover or terrain.

Yes, I track every fishing trip or hike that I make; I like looking at stats and am curious about the pace I fish, etc. I have complete breadcrumb trails for just about everywhere I've walked, fished or biked in the past ten years and a pin for just about every trout landed since February 2012. Satellite fix is fine (and probably more accurate than your 20 year old device - technology does advance with time, you know). You can cache maps in Google maps for offline routing or plan your route ahead of time and load that to the phone. Been doing that for 10 years at least and obviously, I've made it back out to talk about it..

There's no wrong way to do this - if your personal preference is a 20-year old device and it works for you, go for it. Everything you have listed I can do with my smartphone and a few apps (compass, custom waypoints, routes, colorized waypoints and categories). I'm already carrying my phone, so it would be redundant for me to carry a handheld GPS, just like it would be redundant for me to carry a camera. Hopefully, no one blindly relies on technology to plan their routes or for anything for that matter. If I use Google Maps for a route, I always do a gut check to make sure it makes sense. Before GPS routing (handheld, car or phone), I'd always pull out a paper map and review the route before I traveled, just so I'd be familiar with it. I still do that for digital maps. And I rely on my ability to read a digital map to get out of a location, not rely on the device's route finding algorithm. In the event my device goes dead, I also do my best to know about the surrounding terrain enough that I could find my way out if I needed to. Digital maps being wrong is no different than paper maps being wrong - until paper maps were updated with your Exit 87 - Route 903 change, anyone relying on that would have been going out of their way too.

Responding to some of the comments on your latest post, the same battery pack that can recharge my cellphone can also recharge my headlamp, my Bluetooth speaker and my handheld torch. That's the beauty of USB (micro or USB-C). High-end smartphones are waterproof. Lower-end ones can be made waterproof with a case. And yes, some people do that. Dense canopy and cloud cover will have no more impact on a cell phone for seeing satellites than a handheld GPS.

FWIW, my smartphones have been Samsung Galaxy Notes 2 and 4, and I recently upgraded to a much lower end Moto G Stylus. It's battery life is excellent (hiked the whole OLP, with GPS on, no recharge), it takes good enough pictures and I paid about $200 for it (minus the monthly cell service fee). My only complaint is I discovered that unlike Samsung devices, it does not have an ANT+ interface, so my newly purchased Garmin Tempe, for adding temperature logging to my breadcrumbs, won't work until my ANT+ dongle arrives.

Do you ride a horse to your destination or have you upgraded to a car? :)

Years ago I got myself a Garmin GPS thinking I would use it a lot while fishing out-of-the-way wild trout streams. I ended up using it maybe a half dozen times for that purpose and even then it wasn't like I needed it or gained any useful insight from using it. I use it far more for hunting when I need to mark very specific locations, paths, or track my movement. I don't find much need to do this when fishing. There are some situations where it can be useful for bushwhacking, but I usually find myself just fishing up or down a stream rather than cutting cross-country before I begin fishing. However, I do not think you need a very sophisticated GPS for this purpose. You just need one that you can add waypoints, track your path, and upload/download this data from other sources.

Google Maps/Earth takes care of 99%+ of my electronic mapping needs for fishing. The reality is that for most of my fishing I can pre-scout a location primarily with Google's satellite imagery. Streetview can also be very useful for scouting. If I need to mark something on the map, I can do so. I can also build custom maps for different areas and include things like links to USGS gauge data in the pins I place on the map. I can also save google maps to my phone or tablet to use them while outside of cell service. The only downside is that the satellite images are not as high resolution as what you get when connected to the web.

Along with the wealth of info in the PAFBC's mapping, a variety of state and federal sites also have useful mapping resources. If I have any concerns about property access, GIS mapping that shows ownership and boundaries is widely available and free for most locations. In PA, most, if not all, counties have a GIS site. Yes, I know that these sources come with disclaimers about use in legal matters, but for fishing (and hunting) they are accurate enough to keep you out of trouble. If I find something useful on these sources I can then go mark it on my Google maps.

OnX is convenient and provides a combined resource, but for fishing I have not needed it. I generally know where I'm going before I get there thanks to the other free mapping/GIS/GPS resources I've already mentioned. OnX is definitely useful for some people in certain situations, particularly if you are into unstructured exploring.

P.s. I always have a PA Gazetteer in my vehicle. Still handy, and often still quicker than tech for on-the-fly reference.

salmonoid wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:
Can you leave a breadcrumb track of where where you walked or hiked so you can follow your way out if you get disoriented in the woods or the map is wrong?

And does the phone in airplane mode do turn by turn navigation on the road without cell service and how good is the satellite fix with a phone in deep cover.

I'm asking because I'm not glued to a phone and don't use one for mapping and I've been in remote places where getting a satellite fix on a really good GPS can be tough because of cover or terrain.

Yes, I track every fishing trip or hike that I make; I like looking at stats and am curious about the pace I fish, etc. I have complete breadcrumb trails for just about everywhere I've walked, fished or biked in the past ten years and a pin for just about every trout landed since February 2012. Satellite fix is fine (and probably more accurate than your 20 year old device - technology does advance with time, you know). You can cache maps in Google maps for offline routing or plan your route ahead of time and load that to the phone. Been doing that for 10 years at least and obviously, I've made it back out to talk about it..

There's no wrong way to do this - if your personal preference is a 20-year old device and it works for you, go for it. Everything you have listed I can do with my smartphone and a few apps (compass, custom waypoints, routes, colorized waypoints and categories). I'm already carrying my phone, so it would be redundant for me to carry a handheld GPS, just like it would be redundant for me to carry a camera. Hopefully, no one blindly relies on technology to plan their routes or for anything for that matter. If I use Google Maps for a route, I always do a gut check to make sure it makes sense. Before GPS routing (handheld, car or phone), I'd always pull out a paper map and review the route before I traveled, just so I'd be familiar with it. I still do that for digital maps. And I rely on my ability to read a digital map to get out of a location, not rely on the device's route finding algorithm. In the event my device goes dead, I also do my best to know about the surrounding terrain enough that I could find my way out if I needed to. Digital maps being wrong is no different than paper maps being wrong - until paper maps were updated with your Exit 87 - Route 903 change, anyone relying on that would have been going out of their way too.

Responding to some of the comments on your latest post, the same battery pack that can recharge my cellphone can also recharge my headlamp, my Bluetooth speaker and my handheld torch. That's the beauty of USB (micro or USB-C). High-end smartphones are waterproof. Lower-end ones can be made waterproof with a case. And yes, some people do that. Dense canopy and cloud cover will have no more impact on a cell phone for seeing satellites than a handheld GPS.

FWIW, my smartphones have been Samsung Galaxy Notes 2 and 4, and I recently upgraded to a much lower end Moto G Stylus. It's battery life is excellent (hiked the whole OLP, with GPS on, no recharge), it takes good enough pictures and I paid about $200 for it (minus the monthly cell service fee). My only complaint is I discovered that unlike Samsung devices, it does not have an ANT+ interface, so my newly purchased Garmin Tempe, for adding temperature logging to my breadcrumbs, won't work until my ANT+ dongle arrives.

Do you ride a horse to your destination or have you upgraded to a car? :)

Cars can run out of gas, of course not a car!

It must be brutal being a slave to latest & greatest...

BTW - The queue for the next generation $1500 phone starts right around the corner behind the hook-line & sinker queue...;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
It must be brutal being a slave to latest & greatest...

BTW - The queue for the next generation $1500 phone starts right around the corner behind the hook-line & sinker queue...;-)

Gotta love when the billion dollar companies provide the accommodations for you! Most expensive phone ive ever actually purchased was $699. Which was unnecessary and i was just bored. The whole $1000+ fad has already died and they are pricing them back to mid tiers.

Im just glad i havent spent thousands on graphite sticks, feathers and mileage just so i can trick an animal with a pea sized brain.

Like I mentioned I am a fan of redundancies where I hunt and fish. I always have a handheld GPS as well as my phone with me and in my oh crap kit I carry along I also have a compass. I have never noticed a time where I have needed to go to my Garmin vs using my phone, which is my primary point of navigation. Do I need all of this when fishing, here no, but in Yellowstone backcountry it was invaluable.

Best part about onX vs the rest is the satellite view in the field. It has saved me a couple times grouse hunting, where on GPS it would look like an easy exit I can see it is actually a massive dense alder run, and there is an old logging road just uphill the other way. Nothing worse than trying to fight alder or laurel with night closing in...

Generally if you spend enough time staring psychotically at google earth you can navigate places without anything. That is generally how I operate.

I’ll add a twist here. I don’t use any of them. Not once I leave my house.
If you are fishing in a state forest, stop by a state forest headquarters, they will give you maps for free. Can’t say I’ve ever used gps or a garmin or an app for anything once I leave my house. I can see the benefits of wanting to know your fishing pace etc. But since maps exist, I find any of these apps about as necessary as that new oxygen spray for the fish. Cool new technology, but a completely unnecessary waste of money. Read your maps, plan out your adventure, put that phone into airplane mode and then hit the road. Much more rewarding. GPS is for bait fishermen. Being lost is fun!

Back