Pa Stillwater’s

If i remember they said around 90ft at the deepest.

It is much shallower than that. I measured it back around 1983. It is around 30-40 ft or so, with the deepest part being near the highwall on the west end. The depth was a disappointment.

timmyt2 wrote:
Scotts run, thats the one near hopewell right? I was trying to think of it yesterday. Used to spin fish there in my pre fly fishing days

Scotts Run lake was drained and not stocked this spring >

https://www.berksmontnews.com/news/boyertown_times/pa-fish-and-boat-commission-trout-stocking-change-at-scotts/article_6bd74b90-3480-11e9-b3f0-4701bc07e61f.html

It has since been refilled but is not on the fall stocking list for Chester County >

https://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

Also in French Creek SP Hopewell Lake was drained. It still has not been refilled as of the middle of September, anyway.

Apropos of nothing, a fly rod/reel/set-up is inappropriate equipment for fishing for anything deeper than 8 feet. But I am being very liberal with the 8 feet allowance. For me, it's more like 4 feet, even with streamers.

Mike your comment caused me to do some digging. I think you might be mistaken.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/22884643/1977_myerstown_lakeside_quarry_drowning/

All i could find on depth online.

I was pretty sure those divers said 90ft at the deepest.

That’s interesting. Perhaps we somehow missed a small deep spot. The article is correct about the weeds. It is full of Chara.

As an aside, there are quarries and mine pools in eastern Pa that are deep enough to reach sea level.

JackM wrote:
Apropos of nothing, a fly rod/reel/set-up is inappropriate equipment for fishing for anything deeper than 8 feet. But I am being very liberal with the 8 feet allowance. For me, it's more like 4 feet, even with streamers.

False

JackM wrote:

Hmmm, I thought you only used dry flies. ;-)

It has since been refilled but is not on the fall stocking list for Chester County

Its listed under Berks county for 10/15

Yes, and was noted in the Reading Eagle as well to be stocked 10/15.

Since they close my quarry spot for the winter I figured I share some of the fish I caught this fall. The fish moved from deep water into the shallows. I fished mostly scuds and balanced leaches under a indicator. You could watch fish digging out scuds in the weeds. Also witness a bait fishermen catch a brown which was definitely bigger then 25 inches. I wanna say it was pushing 30 inches. The biggest fish I got was a rainbow around 20.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nKpNADuUFksPpVug6

Marc.

tomgamber,
I went past that old quarry behind Muhlenberg HS on Black Friday. If I was looking at the right property, it looked to me that the quarry, which had been a lake, has now been filled in.

As for the cessation of quarry operations, it was reported by an angler that Laurel Run had gotten cold near the river as if the quarry filling with water had resulted in some springs possibly flowing near Laurel Rn again. A decade or so later that short section of limestoner near the river in Laurel Run Park was found to have developed a nice Class A population of wild browns., possibly initiated by reproduction of fishing rodeo stockings of brown trout. One prior survey yrs ago did not find any trout in that stretch, although a small population existed from about a half mile above Kutztown Rd to the headwaters.

Usually Google Earth will have a date in the image. Currently the image shows it to be rather liquid. :)

Found the date. 2019.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-14-19-26-42_kindlephoto-202656010-200x195.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-14-19-26-42_kindlephoto-202656010-200x195.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. I was concentrating on traffic and must have glanced at the roadside edge of an adjoining property. I'm glad that it has not been filled in.

you should have felt the school shake when they blasted over there.

This thread died off a few months back but I wanted to bring it back to life a bit by asking if any of you on here have had success fishing with chironomid techniques that anglers like Phil Rowley and Brian Chan use and teach in some of their resources. Some of the lakes previously mentioned in this thread were Harvey's Lake, Wallenpaupack, and Lake Winola. Digging into Harvey's lake more specifically, it seems like the trout thrive off of the alewife population in the lake. This makes me wonder how effective some of the chironomid techniques would be. Does anyone know if these are productive tactics in lakes like these? Anyone have any experiences they could share or want to explore the same thing along with me? I would usually attempt to answer this myself but I don't yet have a boat/raft/float tube to really dig into this with and for some reason these techniques using indicators, naked lines and dangling with sinking lines interest me greatly.

I'm hoping to be hearing more about this as well. I fish Upper Woods pond which is turns over annually and as I understand its somewhat oxygen deprived below 10' in summer. It can be as deep as 80' and has allot of hold-over trout in it. Most people I see there are after the newly stocked trout and also Bass. My interest is to get those wild left-overs that have been there for several years. So I'll be watching.

Baron, I also have interest in fishing upper woods pond in the future. I actually think that would be a better place to start trying some of these techniques as Harvey's lake and Wallenpaupack are pretty large. I believe this lake has special regulations on it for trout as well. Have you ever seen any of Phil Rowley's youtube/website information? I think right about this time of year, with some simple chironomid larva and pupa under an indicator, you could get into 10-20 ft of water in upper woods and have a pretty decent chance at some fish.

Back