PA fly angler quiz- how many will you know?

Butter Rock is on Penns Creek.

It was named that because in the early settlement days the roads were very poor, so farmers in Penns Valley would transport goods in wooden "arks", loading them up at Coburn, and running them down to the Susquehanna River for transport down to southern markets.

One of the arks smashed against this rock and broke open a barrel of butter, and it got smeared on the rock, and it's been called Butter Rock ever since.

Penns Creek probably has more named pools and other spots than any other stream in PA. I only know a fraction of them. If you listen to some old time Penns Creek regulars talking about various spots on Penns Creek it will make your head spin. And sometimes they argue about what the "right" name is for a particular spot.

One more I'm going to throw out there - although it's probably referenced as this only by people who have lived in that area of the stream for quite awhile:

The Jesus Hole

The Dog Hole
Trestle Hole
Productive Riffle :)

falcon wrote:
Chapel Pool - Big Bushkill

Falcon, you are correct. It was also known as the second hole below Ressica Falls.

JackM wrote:
The Dog Hole - Elk Creek sterritania
Trestle Hole - Elk Creek Erie
Productive Riffle = any crik with a “heavy streambred brown” - Meck

How bout This one Jack

the Ladder Hole

gfoledc wrote:
Lazy Daisy Spring Creek

Yeah, one of the camps that sit along that stretch of spring creek, had a sign on it that said Lazy Daisy.
But it disappeared several years ago.

Hope to see you up there soon Roger!

I fished the Lazy Daisy today

Maurice wrote:

How bout This one Jack

the Ladder Hole

Elk Creek (Erie), middle of nowhere.

dryflyguy wrote:
gfoledc wrote:
Lazy Daisy Spring Creek

Yeah, one of the camps that sit along that stretch of spring creek, had a sign on it that said Lazy Daisy.

So it's in the "Cottage Stretch."

Just above "Deer Lane."

Which is just above "Hartles Bridge."

troutbert wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
gfoledc wrote:
Lazy Daisy Spring Creek

So it's in the "Cottage Stretch."

Just above "Deer Lane."

Which is just above "Hartles Bridge."

yes
but pinpoints a specific "hole" in that stretch

Might see you guys up there soon I hope. Watching the weather as I'm sure we all are.

Cool thread Paul.

Yes Elephant Rock is the Yough, closer to the takeout on the middle section. Although my memory could be compromised because DaveS usually has me breaking my back on the oars.

This is a fun thread, nice job Paul.
Happy is say I knew a good number of these, but I guess that comes with experience. ; )

Some of the famous pools on equally famous water have always seemed to be a big deal to me. Like Cairns, or Horsebrook Run on the B- kill. Rite of Passage sort of thing.

But over the years, I accumulated a few name places from others, some fishing partners that have passed on. Like the “ Guarnteed hole”, and this are special in there own right.

JackM wrote:
Maurice wrote:

How bout This one Jack

the Ladder Hole

Elk Creek (Erie), middle of nowhere.

Correct, downstream of the dog hole. While wandering downstream hungover from a night of bourbon and yelling in the hotel room we come across this typical bend to high cliff run and across the stream leaning against the ledge is a 16' extension ladder. With no purpose, or explanation of how it got set up there we dubbed this the ladder hole. I am sure its gone now, and we did catch fish from the "ladder Hole" but it could probably not be used as a landmark for even those three of us whom named and enjoyed it.

Oh, and lets not forget the Slut hole.

May also be a confined group of PAFF fly anglers who know this. Dubbed in the early 2000's by Paul G but perhaps he called it that earlier. or others did too.

troutbert wrote:
The Oxbow

Kettle creek makes a big meandering bend above Leidy bridge, that I've heard a few people refer to as an oxbow.
Be my first guess

Oxbow is a bend on the Lehigh in the gorge.

Manada’s DHALO used to have a locally known “dog hole”. Haven’t fished it in about 10 years. Maybe there’s no need for that moniker any longer.

Been fly fishing in PA for 30 plus years.
mostly in SE and NC PA.
couldn't name ONE

steve 98

dryflyguy wrote:
troutbert wrote:
The Oxbow

Kettle creek makes a big meandering bend above Leidy bridge, that I've heard a few people refer to as an oxbow.
Be my first guess

The Bunk and Oxbow Bend on Kettle Creek:

https://www.topozone.com/pennsylvania/clinton-pa/area/beech-bottom-natural-area/

The Bunk is registered somewhere by the state of PA as a scenic site. Oxbow Bend goes around The Bunk. Look at a USGS map.

Back