PA DEP Drought Watch

Salmo makes a fair observation, but it also happens quite frequently in SE Pa that we don’t have much rain until the 20’s of October unless we get the remnants of a tropical storm, but that usually seems to be in Sept. These observations come from my decades of SMB night electrofishing at that time of the year on the lower Susquehanna and Delaware in late Sept and all anytime in October. Sampling some sites was very flow dependent, such as Accomac on the Susky and Yardley on the Delaware. We just had to wait for a storm of some consequence to get the flows that we needed for good catches. That was particularly true at Accomac as it could be the difference between catching 5 SMB or 125 SMB in 2.5 hrs of electrofishing. Accomac often did not have the appropriate water levels until the last week of October or more commonly, the first week of November.

More water definitely makes it into the water table once the greenery is done for the year.

Good news, it looks like a good part of the state is gonna get a good soaker…2” type deal mid-week. Not enough, but that’s a start.

More water definitely makes it into the water table once the greenery is done for the year.

Good news, it looks like a good part of the state is gonna get a good soaker…2” type deal mid-week. Not enough, but that’s a start.
Two inches on the right stream could be enough for a good day's fishing if you can get there right after it stops. They drop fast though.

Last edited:
They got water now! Lots of it. None of the rocks you could see Sunday in the pic below are visible today and it's still rising. Didn't get a pic today cuz packing a car in the rain is bad enough. Just chocolate milk, every creek the whole ride home.

Attachments

• 20220903_182936.jpg
    20220903_182936.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 28
Yes indeed. Kettle is over 300cfs, so all the tribs should be good to go. Good fishing coming up this week!

Update: Kettle @ 426cfs. With the rain to continue into tomorrow, it'll now be a matter of waiting for some of the streams to subside. When it rains, it pours. :p

Last edited:
This is exactly what we needed. I fished today, got drenched, and loved every second of it. I deliberately went to a watershed that was among the lowest, if not the lowest, comparatively speaking, prior to this rain. Gauge on the mother stream was in the red, as in the bright red, lowest all time for the gauge.

Fished about 3/4 mile each of two different streams. They both fished well, and had plenty of happy, healthy fish, that were surprising spread out. Caught over 2 dozen on both streams. If the fish in this watershed are ok, I’m pretty confident they are pretty much everywhere else in NCPA. Good stuff.
F9FDEACA 2C7F 4BC8 BF04 515BDA33B43C
8481F608 8836 492F 9E4C 9959C6FB7BE4
3335C0CD 2642 4570 A8D6 2A117A4DBEE6
EE1EFDB5 F26A 467A 851D 374FD8A679F3
C684C87C 714C 45C1 B700 9E593B4D7FAB

Last edited:
looks like the water issue has been ameliorated for the time being.
Syl

Rain. Blessed rain.

There’s not a lot of undeveloped land left around Valley Creek. However all of those parking lots in the office parks near King of Prussia get very hot and unfortunately there’s not much buffering or detention/retention from those office parks.

Looking forward to some great fishing towards the end of the week! Runoff isn't much of an issue on mountain freestone streams.

What a difference a couple of days can make.

Last edited:
There’s not a lot of undeveloped land left around Valley Creek. However all of those parking lots in the office parks near King of Prussia get very hot and unfortunately there’s not much buffering or detention/retention from those office parks.
Yeah I was more so referring to the impermeable surfaces that cause excessive thermal pollution in runoff. Ideally, every parking lot would be surrounded by buffers or detention basins for the runoff! Wildtrout2 I agree fishing will be hot for the rest of this week, it just sucks how fast flows drop without consistent input for a period of time - damn freestones!

Splurged on a short notice day off to fish today too. Gotta take advantage of these conditions after three months of searching for water. Chose a stream in NE PA. Ended up being darn near blown out! I caught fish, but it was honestly too high to fish effectively. Enough with the rain already! (Kidding 😛, keep it coming.)
C6182E12 9373 43A9 B4DC 483BB9F86E2E
B05A17A7 10AA 40EC 9462 8CD910D1C170
0308B1C2 EF0C 472C A315 DC4C15220DF9

Back