PA DEP Drought Watch

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

Good afternoon,

Just wanted to say that the DEP has issued a drought watch for all of Eastern PA, even including counties such as Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Juniata, etc. Please be extra mindful of the temps and water you are fishing!

I had high hopes for the storms that rolled through yesterday but was only a blip on the gauges. Atlantic is starting to get busy with possible hurricane action. Don't want to see loss of property or life but I'm all for several inch storms on more than one occasion

I had high hopes for the storms that rolled through yesterday but was only a blip on the gauges. Atlantic is starting to get busy with possible hurricane action. Don't want to see loss of property or life but I'm all for several inch storms on more than one occasion
I had high hopes as well. I am hoping that rain starts to kick back up soon. A really big storm would be fantastic

A really big storm isn't much help. Unless you mean a Hurricane or its remnants. Three to four days of steady rain is all that will help. Hurricane season has been a flop. Usually get a slow moving soaker at least once by now.

Headed up to camp tomorrow. Looks like they got some yesterday but it'll all be gone by Friday.

In the 1980’s the rule of thumb was that with respect to household use, each person averaged a usage amount of 70 gal per day. At the time that I first heard that figure from an agency that should know, I was shocked. In a recent conversation with a water authority manager, however, he indicated that the household usage rule of thumb is now around 100 gal per day!

Since low volume toilets are much more common now than they were in the 1980’s, many more families have front loading washing machines, and in many communities the new construction requirements are for water conserving fixtures, I can only think that people have become even more wasteful. Perhaps they’ve decided to take even longer “Hollywood Showers,” they are doing lots of light laundry loads rather than waiting until there are enough dirty clothes to do a full load, or are likewise doing many light dishwasher loads. Another possibility is the proliferation of swimming pools and hot tubs.

After writing this I got curious and checked our household usage…29 gal per person in the past year…and we water our many veggie and flower gardens. So how the heck do people use THAT much water (the old rule OR new rule of thumb)?

In the 1980’s the rule of thumb was that with respect to household use, each person averaged a usage amount of 70 gal per day. At the time that I first heard that figure from an agency that should know, I was shocked. In a recent conversation with a water authority manager, however, he indicated that the household usage rule of thumb is now around 100 gal per day!

Since low volume toilets are much more common now than they were in the 1980’s, many more families have front loading washing machines, and in many communities the new construction requirements are for water conserving fixtures, I can only think that people have become even more wasteful. Perhaps they’ve decided to take even longer “Hollywood Showers,” they are doing lots of light laundry loads rather than waiting until there are enough dirty clothes to do a full load, or are likewise doing many light dishwasher loads. Another possibility is the proliferation of swimming pools and hot tubs.

After writing this I got curious and checked our household usage…29 gal per person in the past year…and we water our many veggie and flower gardens. So how the heck do people use THAT much water (the old rule OR new rule of thumb)?
I think that the increased usage is largely due to the American lifestyle. I know some people who will brush their teeth and leave water running the WHOLE time, people who turn their shower on and wait 5 minutes while doing other tasks for it to "heat up". Really, it just boils down to people not being considerate and realizing that clean fresh water is not a renewable resource in the grand scheme of things. We are privileged to have access to this and should not take it for granted.

Really, it just boils down to people not being considerate and realizing that clean fresh water is not a renewable resource in the grand scheme of things.
I beg to differ. The same water you brush your teeth with, drink, and shower with has been around for 4.6 billion + years. It all depends on where water is in the water cycle. What is finite at any given moment is where that water is in the cycle (as evidenced by the depletion of Lake Mead, etc). Water can be recycled (think treated sewage) and reused. Unlike natural resources that once burned are gone forever, water continues to exist, just at a different spot in the water cycle. Fresh, potable water is a function of nature as well as man.

I beg to differ. The same water you brush your teeth with, drink, and shower with has been around for 4.6 billion + years. It all depends on where water is in the water cycle. What is finite at any given moment is where that water is in the cycle (as evidenced by the depletion of Lake Mead, etc). Water can be recycled (think treated sewage) and reused. Unlike natural resources that once burned are gone forever, water continues to exist, just at a different spot in the water cycle. Fresh, potable water is a function of nature as well as man.
Let me clarify - Freshwater is a "finite, yet renewable" resource considering the rate at which we consume it vs. the rate at which it is being deposited back into the same source that we pulled it from. Groundwater resources and aquifers take FOREVER to recharge. It's also crazy to think that only 3% of the water on earth is freshwater. But to your point, I agree that overall it's renewable, but potable water scarcity and depletion is a very real thing.

Bottom line, is fresh water being replaced at the rate that it's being used/lost? Not even close. Looking at time lapse of glacial recession makes my skin crawl.

Heavy water use does impact streams. In many watersheds, the water is sourced in the headwaters, and fresh water is flowing in pipes parallel to the stream channels to the town.

From the residences, businesses, schools, etc. it flows in sewage pipes, again running parallel to the streams, often in the streams' floodplains.

The water flowing in pipes running parallel to the streams means less water in the stream channels.

Only at the sewage plant outlet does the water leave the pipes, and enter the streams. Sewage plants are typically far better than they were in the past. But a Phd researcher at Stroud said that if someone took samples going down a stream, and he looked at those samples, he could tell where a sewage plant was, because it had that significant of an impact on aquatic invertebrates.

And many sewage plants warm the water significantly. The thermal pollution problem at sewage plants hasn't been solved, and I don't think there's even been a serious attempt to do so.

In the case of warmwater streams, the effluent is probably at similar temperature to the receiving stream. Not so with trout streams, though.

Looks like Central PA is up for getting an inch of rain, unfortunately, over the Labor Day weekend. (Instead of coming on days that most people actually have to labor.)
Syl

Looks like Central PA is up for getting an inch of rain, unfortunately, over the Labor Day weekend. (Instead of coming on days that most people actually have to labor.)
Syl
That is fine. Bring it on. We actually have been getting sporadic rainfalls of a half an inch here and there lately in my part of Central PA.

Need rain badly in SE too. A good soaking storm would be wonderful.

Need rain badly in SE too. A good soaking storm would be wonderful.
You’re on the right track, but it would take more than one. Unfortunately, it seems it is usually tropical storm remnants (one or more depending on drought severity) that get us out of these messes in the SE.

You’re on the right track, but it would take more than one. Unfortunately, it seems it is usually tropical storm remnants (one or more depending on drought severity) that get us out of these messes in the SE.
Very true.

The weather is cooling down at night. Water levels wont go up until late October when the trees lose their leaves.

Don’t know about you guys but I am seeing corn and soy yellow and brown all over in dauphin/lebanon county. I wonder how much crop failure there is going to be from this.

The weather is cooling down at night. Water levels wont go up until late October when the trees lose their leaves.
I was actually thinking the same thing.

Back