PA Dams Removed in 2014

Unfortunately, given the utilities/infrastructure involved within the pool created by Easton Dam, I don't see dam removal in the future of that facility.

Mike wrote:
Unfortunately, given the utilities/infrastructure involved within the pool created by Easton Dam, I don't see dam removal in the future of that facility.

Does the dam serve any useful function? If not, why do they want to keep it?

Serves no function. The "official" word from the mayor of Easton is that is a a landmark of sorts and people come there to see it and enjoy its beauty. I'm paraphrasing of course. A large study was done that showed the benefits of removal, but not listed to. One semi- legitimate argument was that removing the dam would cause the Lehigh canal to de-water, but a solution was provided to address that too.

There is only a very short section, as far as I know, of the Lehigh Canal that has water in it. Last time I looked 90% or more was dry, same with the Delaware Canal.

geebee wrote:
that has to be good for the Lehigh - to have cooler water coming in to it.

i too found several mentions of three more to come down in emmaus township by NOAA and Fishamerica, but no names..

The Morning Call had a list a few months ago. One I remember is at Robin Hood Dell where some guy is fighting it with legal action. I think one other is the one above the fish hatchery.

they are fighting the one at Wher's Bridge on the Jordan too. It's all historical and stuff.

ebroesicke wrote:

It's all historical and stuff.

so was slavery but we've moved on.

Back