PA Class A Streams - Identifing Limestoners

But why are the T_alk numbers over 150 in those creeks near Barnesboro in Cambria County?

Acid mine drainage reclamations. They are "human created" limestoners, not natural ones.

There are some streams in that region that have exposures to limestone rocks, and pick up some fertility.

If the streams are Class A and close to you, just go fish them and see what they are like.

Exploring obscure streams is a lot of fun.

troutbert wrote:
There are some streams in that region that have exposures to limestone rocks, and pick up some fertility.

If the streams are Class A and close to you, just go fish them and see what they are like.

Exploring obscure streams is a lot of fun.

But do not expect these streams to be like "classic" limestone streams such as Spring Creek or Falling Spring etc.

Shorty, if you want some info on some of the streams you're looking at, shoot me a PM.

95% of the time I fish free stone streams because that is what I have a around me. I fished 87 times between may and august. 7 of those trips were to SC PA or NC WV limestone streams. I had just as much success in my freestoners near home. Limestoners don't necessarily mean more trout, they mean more consistent water. If you become skilled in tracking precip data and flow rates, you can still find reasonable summer time fishing options on freestone streams.

If you are just interested in trying out limestone streams for the sake of fishing limestone streams, then don't overlook WV. In my experience, the small limestoners in WV get much less pressure than the small limestoners in PA. The WV 1 day license is $3, plus a couple more bucks for a trout stamp and conservation stamp that only need to be purchased once. For me, it is nearly the same drive time to WV limestoners as to the western fringe of PA limestoners which starts in bedford county. It took an immense amount of research to find the small WV limestoners that I fish now because there is not a lot published on anything other than the big limestoners down there. But, the satisfaction of pulling into a small stream in early august that is roaring with 54 degree limestone spring water is worth all the effort.

Back