Outer Banks

lostboy

lostboy

I'm heading down to OBX this weekend. Has anyone done any fly fishing down there? I've been reading their message boards and everything that I read revolves around bait fishing.

I think you will find the Outer Banks, if you've never been there, are fantastic. As for the bait fishing reports - you can, as a fly fisherman, get a lot of useful info from these - don't ignore them. These reports will tell you what is running, where, and what depth or tide etc. As a general rule, in Dixie (outside of south FL), there are not as many saltwater fly fisherman as in the northeast. The OBX are vast and varied. I am mostly familiar with the area up around Oregon Inlet. In the summer you can get specks, flounder, spanish macs, schoolie stripers, cobia, redfish, even tarpon - although few people fly fish for the silver kings in NC. An eight WT rod is good for most applications. The flats behind Oregon Inlet are generally hard sand and turtle grass and easily waded. A kayak is great although you should stay away from the inlet in small boats as the currents are dangerous. Right at the marina at OI you can wade out on the "propeller flat" or kayak out to islands and wade. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll be an hour north of Oregan Inlet in Coralla. I'm not sure if I'll make it down there. If I can find a good tide with little grass, I'll take my 8wt out on the sandbar. The Blues are in the neighborhood.

Just remember, you need an inland freshwater license to fish the sound behind corolla or duck. Once you get south of the first bridge, all you need is the new saltwater fishing license. You need that for the surf as well this year. Its 15 for the week I think. TW's will sell them i'm sure. Good luck. BTW, i'm told there are some nice bass in the ponds...

Go to Pea Island. Everyone down there tells you to use little crabs and Clouser Minnows. Dont tell anyone though, because I'm usually all alone and catching fish.

Back