Orvis wader repair service

No, actually both pairs of Orvis waders that I own were made in China, maybe NW China though. 😉

The Orvis store told me my waders will be repaired out in Seattle as well.
If you don't mind could you post a follow up to this. I'm curious about the results.

If you don't mind could you post a follow up to this. I'm curious about the results.
Okay, so here's the dirt (pun intended) on my Orvis wader repair. Today, after three weeks, they said two weeks, or a bit longer, I hadn't heard from anybody regarding my waders, so I went to the Orvis store in Haverford to inquire about them.

They said they had just today gotten my waders back from the repair people out in Seattle. They told me no effort was made to find/repair any leaks because the waders were too dirty!!! The original sales person who took the waders from me and sent them out wasn't in, but the sales lady told me to take them home, scrub them clean, then bring them back and they'll send them back (overnight delivery) to the repair people out in Seattle, again.

I asked the lady why the original sales person didn't mention to me, the fact that since the waders were dirty, they wouldn't attempt to find any leaks in them? I said, basically they charged me $60 to tell me my waders are dirty!! I was pissed, to be very honest. She agreed, and said the original sales person should have mentiond to me the issue with them being dirty.

Sooo, I took them home, scrubbed them good, let them dry, then returned them to the Orvis store, to their satisfaction. I guess it'll be another two+ weeks before I hear anything again. At this point, I'm thinking if they can't find/fix the leak/leaks, they should just give me a new pair for all the aggravation.

I'll update this thread after I hear from them again in a couple weeks. This is starting to add fuel to my "Done With Haverford Orvis" thread.

Just cough up the 300$ and save yourself the frustration. Once they leak badly enough that aquaseal doesn’t do the job they’re toast.

Expect to hear “oh these are beyond their lifespan and unrepairable” after waiting another 3-4 weeks with no updates on the status of your claim. If they *are* fixable, you might have them back in time for ice fishing season.

Wader warranties are BS. And personally I think it’s criminal that a “lifetime” warranty is allowed to be called that since the item, if designed poorly, can have as short of a lifetime as they decide. I’ve never gotten more than 2 years out of a pair so consider yourself lucky you got 4.

Also, sounds like another strike against the Haverford Orvis store 😂

Just cough up the 300$ and save yourself the frustration.

Expect to hear “oh these are beyond their lifespan and unrepairable” after waiting another 3-4 weeks with no updates on the status of your claim. If they *are* fixable, you might have them back in time for ice fishing season.

Also, sounds like another strike against the Haverford Orvis store 😂
That right there is funny. lmao

I do have another set of Orvis waders, but they're not the Ultralights, which I love for summer fishing.

Expect to hear “oh these are beyond their lifespan and unrepairable” after waiting another 3-4 weeks with no updates on the status of your claim.
Just got an email from the repair people today, and that's EXACTLY what they told me.

What I don't get is why didn't they elaborate on why they weren't repairable? What were the sources/areas of the leaks? Since these waders were so expensive, I took extra steps to keep them in good shape, other than washing them. lol

I know for a fact the booties weren't leaking, because they NEVER made contact with anything other than a thick towel I would stand on while putting them on, or taking them off. They went from the towel directly into the boots, or from the boots onto the towel. They never touched the ground, ever. I never got debris in the boots either. The booties were in pristine shape.

Also, when I wore them I ALWAYS put swim trunks on, instead of regular pants or shorts, so as not to compromise the seams by rubbing them in any way. I also stored them in a closet, hanging them, also not to compromise the seams. In their defense, they did offer me $100 off the purchase of a new set of waders.
I may, or may not take that offer. Oh well, life goes on. lol

Last edited:
Just got an email from the repair people today, and that's EXACTLY what they told me.

What I don't get is why didn't they elaborate on why they weren't repairable? What were the sources/areas of the leaks? Since these waders were so expensive, I took extra steps to keep them in good shape, other than washing them. lol

I know for a fact the booties weren't leaking, because they NEVER made contact with anything other than a thick towel I would stand on while putting them on, or taking them off. They went from the towel directly into the boots, or from the boots onto the towel. They never touched the ground, ever. I never got debris in the boots either. The booties were in pristine shape.

Also, when I wore them I ALWAYS put swim trunks on, instead of regular pants or shorts, so as not to compromise the seams by rubbing them in any way. I also stored them in a closet, hanging them, also not to compromise the seams. In their defense, they did offer me $100 off the purchase of a new set of waders.
I bought a set of ultralight Orvis waders for summer and drift boat fishing and managed to wear them out in less than a full year. I don’t think I ever even walked through the woods with them. Definitely not impressed with Orvis waders.

I've always had trouble with Orvis waders - but its been years ago now.
Haven't tried them lately.
Personally, I would get Simms or Patagonia
Or try one of the newer brands that have come on the scene lately

I may lose a leg from some rare waterborne bacterial infection, acquire a urechis unicinctus or find an unwanted Vietnamese eel where the sun don't shine but BOY am I glad I almost exclusively wet wade...

Regardless, the A-holes at the store SHOULD be aware of the return/repair policy requirements for outsourced service instead of just blindly packing them up and shipping them to the "repair facility."

If I was you I'd email AND call Orvis Corporate Customer Service with the story...

I'm not saying they owe you a new pair of waders, but they should refund you the $60 and possibly give you a discount on a new pair of Orvis waders (if they are smart).

In the meantime, I'd throw a heaping handful of #2 split shot at the front window of Haverford Orvis... 😉

Last edited:
I bought a set of ultralight Orvis waders for summer and drift boat fishing and managed to wear them out in less than a full year. I don’t think I ever even walked through the woods with them. Definitely not impressed with Orvis waders.

I've been very happy with my Redington Escape Zip waders and the customer service was epic when i screwed them up. I made a thread about it on this forum recently. If u find them on sale i bet you could get them for 250 ish. I'd highly recommend. And if you dont want the zipper model they can be had for less than 200

We need a thread or a poll about cheap waders and buying them every season vs expensive waders and repairing them every season 😉

Honestly, though, the only reason that I can justify expensive waders for myself are the warranties (and maybe in the case of Gore-Tex, the materials used. Gore-Tex makes it easier to detect and fix your own leaks imho).

If these companies can't meet the price point with equally fancy warranty and customer service, then it seems like 100 dollars on Amazon is the way to go these days.

Glad to hear Redington was as good as Simms. I wonder if the new guys like Grundens and Skwala in the premium price range will be as good 5 years out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRB
We need a thread or a poll out cheap waders and buying them every season vs expensive waders and repairing them every season 😉

Honestly, though, the only reason that I can justify expensive waders for myself are the warranties (and maybe in the case of Gore-Tex, the materials used. Gore-Tex makes it easier to detect and fix your own leaks imho).

If these companies can't meet the price point with equally fancy warranty and customer service, then it seems like 100 dollars on Amazon is the way to go these days.

Glad to hear Redington was as good as Simms. I wonder if the new guys like Grundens and Skwala in the premium price range will be as good 5 years out.

I'm far from an expert, but I honestly believe a garment subjected to the stresses and pointy things folks run into while fishing and expecting it to be 100% waterproof for a considerable length of time is a pipe dream...

Especially when it comes to "breathable fabrics" and the way they are made into waders. I imagine even breathable rain jackets leak at seams but most folks tolerate that as not a big deal.

All I know is the last pair of waders I owned that NEVER leaked unless I poked a hole in them were Ranger Seamless Seal-Dri once piece latex stocking foot waders or "brown condoms" as we called them back in the day.

They were flexible, comfortable, easy to get on and off, they never leaked and they were hotter than hell... 😉

I'm far from an expert, but I honestly believe a garment subjected to the stresses and pointy things folks run into while fishing and expecting it to be 100% waterproof for a considerable length of time is a pipe dream...

Especially when it comes to "breathable fabrics" and the way they are made into waders. I imagine even breathable rain jackets leak at seams but most folks tolerate that as not a big deal.

All I know is the last pair of waders I owned that NEVER leaked unless I poked a hole in them were Ranger Seamless Seal-Dri once piece latex stocking foot waders or "brown condoms" as we called them back in the day.

They were flexible, comfortable, easy to get on and off, they never leaked and they were hotter than hell... 😉
Sexy too, I bet. Though not on some...

I agree. They are gonna leak. If I get 100 trips without a major leak, I am okay with the price point, provided there is a reliable process to fix them under warranty (or the Simms clear policy and prices for repairs out of warranty).

I always have backup that have outlived the official repair route. A little Flex Seal, and my 12 year old Simms work while I wait 6-8 weeks for the repairs. I actually prefer my old ones in the surf for whatever reason, maybe the fit is better in long johns or something.

Reactions: CRB
I've had nothing but good luck after switching from orvis to simms waders 20 years ago. 23-25 years ago orvis had a warranty that lasted 4 years 100% after 1 year, 75% 2end, 3erd 50% and 4th year 25%. I think that only lasted a few years and it was gone. My pair lasted a year and off they went and replaced with Simms. At the time more comfortable, fit better, and were "bomb" proof. I think I got 4 years out of them before I upgraded to guides when they wet on closeout.

Back