Orvis wader repair service

What methods did you find worked best for finding leaks?
At work we use this, but it costs over $100/gallon.
1724088855812.png

I took advantage of the $100 credit on a new set of the Ultralight Convertiple waders. At $209.88, I would have been a fool not to. I got good use from my other waders, so I accept the fact that they'll leak at some point in their life.
I found it interesting that my first two sets of Orvis waders were made in China, yet this set was made in Vietnam.

While looking at some of the clothing there, the shirts I saw were made in Peru. Does Orvis make anything in the USA? 🤔Also, I watched a fellow make a $400+ purchase of a couple pairs of shorts and a shirt. It seems Orvis is the Ralph Lauren of the fishing world.

That is absolutely incorrect. I have never heard anything so crazy. I've been filling leaky waders for 50 years.
I just couldn't resist...
Assuming that each leg of the average waders is about 8" x 8" x 36", the volume of each leg is about 23 cubic inches or almost 10 gallons in each leg. If water is 8 lbs./gallon, I expect I'd be asking a lot of the leg of even the most expensive waders to hold 80 lbs. Granted, I weigh about 3x as much, but I don't wear them while I have them hanging up. However, considering that the water pressure is equally applied to the sides of, say a cylinder with a circumference of ~18" (conservative - I'm not that skinny) and a height of about 36", it's only about 1/10 of a lb. on each square inch and that would be at the bottom near the feet. So, I stand corrected that filling up one's waders would not be as disastrous as I previously thought.

At work we use this, but it costs over $100/gallon.
View attachment 1641237465
A pipe leak detector?

I have used a 4th method for finding wading leaks, that involves blowing them up with a shop vac.
And dabbing regular soap /water mixture on area where I suspect leak.
It works. But I find it rather hard to seal off the top of the waders enough for a tight seal, and dab soap at the same time.
Need 3 arms
I

A pipe leak detector?

I have used a 4th method for finding wading leaks, that involves blowing them up with a shop vac.
And dabbing regular soap /water mixture on area where I suspect leak.
It works. But I find it rather hard to seal off the top of the waders enough for a tight seal, and dab soap at the same time.
Need 3 arms
I
Just kidding... Soapy water works just as well for pennies, when a bright flashlight in a dark room doesn't.

While looking at some of the clothing there, the shirts I saw were made in Peru. Does Orvis make anything in the USA? 🤔Also, I watched a fellow make a $400+ purchase of a couple pairs of shorts and a shirt. It seems Orvis is the Ralph Lauren of the fishing world.

In terms of soft goods? I would guess almost definitely not.

I stopped at the flagship in Manchester early in the year after spending the morning fishing nearby. I just needed some odds and ends: tippet, split shot, some tying materials, etc. The clerk joked with me about how my handful of junk for thirty-some dollars was the highest SKU to lowest price ratio he'd seen all day. Everyone else within ear shot was buying thousand dollar rods or $300 sling packs for their yearly destination trips. Orvis knows what they're doing.

Back