Orvis to Acquire Ross/Scientific Anglers

Scientific Anglers was never a company. They were a brand owned by 3M, just like Scotch Brand scotch tape. That's why the patents are owned by 3M. I would be shocked if the sale of the Scientific Anglers didn't include the patents for the technologies used on Scientific Anglers fly lines.

Pontus - Good to see you stuck with it.

Our newbies are destined to become good fishermen because they're smart enough to seek out information and knowledge.

Looks like you've still got that drive to learn. It'd be great to have you come to a newbie event and pass on your experience. We've had several Newbie "Alumni" become instructors at newbie events, and they've done a great job.

Gimme a shout if you can ever make it up this way and I'll set something up. "Newbie Class Reunion".......hmmmmm. :)

Scientific Anglers and Ross may not be subsidiaries of 3M but if they are manufacturing, then they are independent business units with a workforce and tangible assets. It's strange that they are not subsidiaries.

I'm sure trademarks will be transferred. If relevant active patents are not being transferred or assigned to Orvis, then surely there will be a license agreement for Orvis to use them.

I'd be surprised if Orvis does not incorporate the two businesses as wholly owned subs.

Back