Orvis to Acquire Ross/Scientific Anglers

jrmyln

jrmyln

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/05/01/4822805/orvis-to-acquire-the-scientific.html

The CEO of 3M is a Fly Fishing enthusiast.

Very interesting. I will say that 3M has allowed Ross to operate independently since the purchase. I venture a guess that we are going to start seeing a lot of Ross/SA products rebranded as Orvis in the future.

Maybe this has something to do with Orvis discontinuing the BBS reels.

It will be nice to see if their reels will eventually be made in the USA by Ross.
Thier lines are already made by SA.

Flashback of the Orvis /Redington grab.Thank god Sage bought Redington from Orvis. When Sci Angler bought a bunch of great companies in the early 2000'2 they sent DB Dun to the grave, JW outfitters to the Grave,and a few others, When they Aquired Ross they introduced some really bad foreign made reels into their lineup.
I hope it is for the better.

The CEO of 3M is a Fly Fishing enthusiast.

That's nice to know. 3M is the only packing tape I'll buy. It doesn't break down and split on the spool. I use a ton of it.

I think all CEOs are fly fishing enthusiasts and have vacation homes in Montana

and Wyoming

and the Keys

That potential to use one's wealth to easily compartmentalize spooks me. Because it often appears that that's what the wealthy are doing with it.

Healthy and productive natural habitat can shrink by 99%- as long as they have easy and uncrowded access to what's left, why should they care?

That is NOT a rhetorical question. It's a question that needs to get a lot more serious thought than it's been given.

Sad. Not an Orvis fan. Was a Ross fan. Oh we'll, the Ross reels I have should outlast me.

wsender wrote:
Maybe this has something to do with Orvis discontinuing the BBS reels.

Doubtful. They just introduced a new traditional-looking reel this year.
However, I could see them leveraging the purchase to re-introduce a line of higher-end American made reels though. Or just rebrand some Ross models.

(Oh, crap. I just used the term leveraging. I need to get out of this office job.)

+1 to nimrod's post.

When a company buys another company its general intent is to diversify their product line and gain more of the market share from the competition in order to expand their business.

From what I understand they will continue to operate the SA and Ross brands under their own umbrella as before. I do not see much merging of product lines here. At least not right away . . .

I agree that the statements in the article make it sound that way, but one of the big focuses of what he was saying was Sci Angler's innovation in lines, leaders, and tippets. Orvis is acquiring a lot of patents with this deal. I don't know if we'll see rebranding, but I would think they'll definitely take advantage of those. SA might continue to be the innovator, but I would expect at least a textured line series from Orvis in the near future.

Pontus wrote:
SA might continue to be the innovator, but I would expect at least a textured line series from Orvis in the near future.

Or the not so distant past. ;-)

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4X5R

Do you know when that came out? Most of the fly shops around me are either orvis shops or orvis sponsored fly shops, and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

The earliest review on that page is from January 2012.

It's also in the January 2012 Orvis catalog. No idea if it was available earlier than that.

Pontus wrote:
Do you know when that came out? Most of the fly shops around me are either orvis shops or orvis sponsored fly shops, and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Orvis introduced their 3D lines about a year ago, I believe. I recall test casting the lines at an April meeting last in Vermont and the lines were introduced shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the info on those 3D lines. Still, looking at this

http://www.scientificanglers.com/about/technologies

Scientific Anglers Patents

It'll be interesting to see if we see any changes in the orvis line up. Although, I've kinda gotten sucked into this to avoid studying for my engineering finals, and I just found out that 3M, not SA, owns the main patent for making Sharkskin. I'm not gonna pretend to know a lot about this, but it's still fun to read and speculate about.

By the way, HA, you might not remember but you gave me a ride from the Little Lehigh to wherever we ate lunch a couple years back during a newbie jam. I was only 16 or 17 at the time. I'll have to make another trip up there sometime soon to show you guys how far I've come. I might have given up before I "got it" if it wasn't for that newbie jam.

Back