Orvis H3

mattwolf

mattwolf

I would like to purchase one of the Orvis H3 rods in a 6wt for streamer fishing. I would also use this rod for a few trips out to Montana and also on the Delaware River for streamers and possibly throw some dries. Does anyone have a recomendation on what H3 6wt rod would be better for streamer fishing, the D series or the F series? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

mattwolf wrote:
I would like to purchase one of the Orvis H3 rods in a 6wt for streamer fishing. I would also use this rod for a few trips out to Montana and also on the Delaware River for streamers and possibly throw some dries. Does anyone have a recomendation on what H3 6wt rod would be better for streamer fishing, the D series or the F series? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

For me the D would be my choice for streamers, but I suggest you take a trip out to an Orvis store or dealer and cast both for yourself to choose.

For me the D would be my choice for streamers, but I suggest you take a trip out to an Orvis store or dealer and cast both for yourself to choose.

And preferably bring along a streamer with the hook removed to see how each handles the weight and wind resistance.

I have already cast both of them, but not really with streamers. Just wanted to see what everyones preference was. For dry flies I prefer the F, but thinking heavier flies the D may perfrom better.

You may not want to hear this but.... you are probably better served getting a streamer specific set up in a really strong 6 but most likely a 7 weight. If you start tossing half chickens or sinking tips, you'll wish you had a heavier set up. Don't get me wrong, it can be done with a 6 or even a 5 weight but it's a lot more work and the power butt section of the blank typically isn't as strong. I've fished with guys that really like throwing big junk with a pretty slow / soft rod and others that have a rod that's like rebar. Do you have any preference for streamers? I prefer a tip flex (pretty soft tips actually) for the streamer and nymph rods....but a majority of my fishing is from a boat / backcast and shoot.

What dry and / or streamer setups do you currently own? I basically have 2 streamer only setups for that river, 2 nymphing only setups and a half dozen dry options depending on wind, water levels and size of bug.

I Have the Helios 3 9 ft. 5 wt. D combined with the Mirage reel. I really like it. I just wish that it had the hook holder at the front of the grip. I do not know why Orvis left this off of an outfit at this price.

If you want a streamer rod go with a 7 or an 8. A 6 can throw streamers, but would never be my first choice to throw them. Unless you are talking about tossing size 8 and 6 wooly buggers or similar flies, then a 6 is fine.

Canoetripper wrote:
I Have the Helios 3 9 ft. 5 wt. D combined with the Mirage reel. I really like it. I just wish that it had the hook holder at the front of the grip. I do not know why Orvis left this off of an outfit at this price.

Alomos never use mine, hook a guide and wrap around the butt section to the reel seat. This way your fly line doesn't go through up your first guide.

What Ryan said. I haven't used a hook keeper in a long time

Definitely.
Don't shoot elk & bear with light bullets
Don't throw big flies with light lines, rod be dammed.
All it's doing is throwing the line. The LINE carries the fly.
A 7 Wt is for big streamers, but if that's what you pitch, then yeah.
A 6 wt with a good ability to load and a clean, quick recovery would be my choice.
And a 8 1/2 footer would feel better than a 9 foot rod, but 9 foot is all the fashion. anything else is hard to find.

Back