Orvis: Green Mountain : Rocky Mountain : Superfine

I honestly have to say that the green mountain feels different than the other orvis rod that I had first.

The green mountain feels more like a mid flex "fast" action rod.

The other one that I had first and love is more full flex "slow" action.

Take that for what it is, just my impression. I still like the GReen Mtn but I am still searching to to find out what the other one is and get more of them!

TimRobinsin wrote:
I honestly have to say that the green mountain feels different than the other orvis rod that I had first.

The green mountain feels more like a mid flex "fast" action rod.

The other one that I had first and love is more full flex "slow" action.

Take that for what it is, just my impression. I still like the GReen Mtn but I am still searching to to find out what the other one is and get more of them!

Yes, there are at least 40 different rods in the original superfine series, each had its own taper.

Yes, the 7' "9 5wt had a flex index of 5.5, still full flex but closer to mid flex than some.

As I said before your rod is a 7' 6" 6wt, a rare rod. I have seen two of them for sale ever. I don't know how long they made the 7' 6" 6wts. I do know they started making the graphite rods in 1974. I have an 1981 8' 0" 6wt "Trout" and I know that at least one of 7' 6" 6wt rods I have seen was marked "Trout". It does not seem likely that they would have had a 7' 6" "Trout" and a 8' "Trout" in the same lineup. So my guess is that the 7' 6" 6wt was made for at most 6 years, but 3 or less is more likely.

The 7' 6" 6wt would have been an attempt to reproduce Orvis's 7' 6" 6wt bamboo rod in graphite. You may have better luck finding the bamboo version.

It's funny because if you compare the wrapping on the green mountain it looks closer together than on the other rod.

funny you should mention boo, if you look inside the first rod (the one the picture are of) you can see what looks like bamboo in the core inside the graphite!

shortrod wrote:
When those of us not still wet behind the ears talk of the Superfine rods we mean the original rods that were made for around 30 years not the subsequent pretenders produced since.

FWIW, the newest Superfine line, the "Touch," has reverted back to unsanded.

But what would I know, evidently I didn't dry behind my ears.

funny you should mention boo, if you look inside the first rod (the one the picture are of) you can see what looks like bamboo in the core inside the graphite!

Its foam.

NOOOOOO! (sound of tire deflating)

gfen wrote:
FWIW, the newest Superfine line, the "Touch," has reverted back to unsanded.

But what would I know, evidently I didn't dry behind my ears.

Thanks gfen, now that you mention it, I think I do remember reading about that. I doubt anyone would confuse a "Superfine Touch" with an original. Sorry, for any confusion.

TimRobinsin wrote:
It's funny because if you compare the wrapping on the green mountain it looks closer together than on the other rod.

Sorry, I don't understand "closer together".

it seems like the wraps of the graphite are more overlapped than the green mountains

Back