Organizing Your Gear

You mean organized like THIS?

Attachments

• Organized.JPG
    Organized.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 3
Dave that's just itchin' for a Sasquatch clusterf*&k!

I can't recall if I had pickles and mayo in the cooler. I may have had some type of momentary psychological hiccup that made me forget those items, due to post-traumatic stress dissorder. lol!!

All of my fishing stuff is kept in the trunk of my car. I have a plastic bin most of it sits in, in case someone else drives. I can't think of a reason to take it all out just to put it back. And I can't think of a reason to take up space anywhere in my house if it can be hidden away in my trunk. And I can never forget anything this way. I suppose this would not work if I had excess gear, but again I can't see the point in that so I only own my normal rod, my small stream rod, and my cheap back up. This is exactly what I need and anything more would be excess.

I have been doing this for over ten years with my breathable waders, so for anyone that worries about mold, I haven't had problems. I did see some little tiny dots of staining inside my waders, but it's not a problem. It's just fishing gear. The wet waders and boots do make my car smell a little, but that's just awesome.

Dude- my wife is always complaining about the smell of my car from wet waders.

I keep a rod, wader bag, hat, license, and gear bag in the jeep most of the time. The rest is in a corner in the basement or on top of the tying desk.

I use one of these from cabelas to store my rods and reels I got it half off
Rod rack

And I use this for my waders and vest I stick the my boots right underneath on the floor

clothes rack

Ok. My first post. So I haven't picked up a fly rod in at least 10 years (BTW it really is like riding a bike. Of course, I split my chin once riding my trike off a low retaining wall and another time I spun my bike right under an oncoming car. But I was younger then!). Anyway, organization is a passion of mine. I wouldn't say obsession, because I'm not so much anal about as I am enthused about finding the right bag, container, etc. and most times they are repurposed items. So not too many Cabelas gear bags at my house. Nothing wrong with them, but I can get a nice camera bag at a local thrift shop for $5 and have at it.

All of my fly tackle is in a Quantam camera bag. 14" long, plus expandable side pockets, 8" wide, plus a front pocket with slots and pockets for smaller items. 7 1/4" deep with plenty of velcro dividers. The "lid" of the bag velcros and snaps into place. The lid has one large mesh zipper pocket and it also has 4 smaller mesh pokcets, perfect for tippet. I can fit 6 fly boxes, two reels, A fully loaded lanyard (homemade, but another story), and still have some room to grow. The outside front bottom of the bag has two loops for securing my tripod, uh my fly rod tube. Since it's a camera bag, it's heavily padded. Granted I don't have a lot of gear, but my itention is use a minimalist approach and having a brother who has tried it all I can avoid many of the buy/try items.

I intend to keep everything in a first floor room, except perhaps the boots and waders. I'm thinking garage, but I have a dehumidifer in the basement, so that might work well. I have neoprene waders on a boot hook and the stocking waders I'll just figure to hang.

Now, in-season, well this is actually what got me back to fly fishing. I bought a new vehicle, well new to me, and actually two vehicles. I bought a 2010 RAV, as a compromise, but 5 days later, while sitting at a light, I was rear-ended. $1,000 in damage, but my back/knees/neck still aren't right. Wife said, "we're not 25 anymore." In response, I paraphrased Chief Brody's line, "I'm gonna need a bigger truck." Enter, the Honda Ridgeline. For the sportsman, I can not imagine a better vehicle. If you're still reading, I won't make it worse by boring you with details. If you want to store gear, use every compartment known to man, and utilize your truck as part of your fishing/hunting system, this is the one.

One quick for instance. The trunk, yes it has a locking trunk, has a drain hole, so you can use it as a large cooler, or if you store your waders, at least they are getting "some" fresh air. I'd probably put a battery operated air freshener fan (not the freshener, just the fan), to move some air in there. I use those in my humidor. Or, get a 12V fan and just run the wire to the hole and bring air into the trunk. My brother added a Leer cap to his and loves it for 7 yeares now. I'm on the fence on the cap, since I like the look without it...we'll see.

Anyway, I mentioned the Ridgeline because just owning it wanted me to get back to sporting again. Weird perhaps, but that's just how it went, My brother is an avid fly fisherman and has been waiting many years for me to seriously take it up and that time has come. I really look forward to it and this forum...one of the many sport and hobby forums to which I subscribe...

Josey if you live in the Oaks by the Skuke shoot me a pm sometime so we can meet up .

Back