Organizing Your Gear

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

What do you guys use to organize your flies and to store your other gear at home .. rods, waders, boots, etc .

Thanks in advance

For my rods I made a rack I screwed to the wall with pegs on them to lay the rods on. Waders ,boots and the like once they are dry I put them on a shelf. Stock piling flies I use segmented plastic containers from a craft store or the like. Nothing really special just a way to keep it all off the floor, I really don't like the idea of rods leaning against a wall. That just gives me the hebe jebies, accident waiting to happen if you ask me. Hope you get an idea or two outa this.

For my rods, I just keep them in the tubes and leaning in a corner down in my basement. Got no other solution! They're in the tubes, they won't shatter if they fall over (especially those glass rods-they have those metal tubes haha!)

Stockpiles of flies!? I can barely keep my flies up to fill my fly boxes on any given outing. Waders, once they're dry, go in my mesh sack, the sack hangs from a hook on the wall. Boots go on the floor.

See, our basement is basically ineffective for anything other than fly fishing storage.

Unfinished basement is where I store everything.

Rod tubes leaning in the corner. Boots on the floor beside them. Waders hanging from 2 nails in the studs, they hang by the shoulder straps. On the next stud over, there's a nail for my hat, one for my Richardson, and for a pair of fingerless gloves.

My flies are pretty much all held in the Richardson. I organize it maybe once every winter, but it gets to be a mess mid-season.

There's also a desk down there which houses my tying supplies. Used to be in a room that was taken over by the baby.

Tippet, shot, and indi's are in the wader pouch as it hangs. Leader tying stuff in the desk.

My rods (in tubes) hang from small bicycle hooks screwed into the floor joists above my unfinished basement, except for my LLBean which is in a “reel on” case…that one is leaned up in a corner of the basement. I have a Cabelas gear bag on a shelf in the basement that I store my fly boxes, reels, leaders, tippet, floatant, etc. For the every day trip that usually stays at home and I just pack my sling pack with what I’ll need for the day. For weekend or extended trips the whole Cabelas bag comes along though. I currently keep 4 fly boxes (Big Little Bit of Everything Box/Brookie Box/Jam Hatch Box/Spring Creek Box) and then have a larger Plano box that I keep reserves for the patterns I use the most.

My chest waders hang from a hook in the garage, and my hip waders (bootfoot) and wading boots are just on the floor in the garage.

I can hardly call my situation as organized LOL. I have waders and boots hanging from hooks in the garage - best place for drying IMO. Basement is a little too moist. Some of my lesser used rods are in tubes or socks on posts in the basement along with some older unused gear. The stuff I use more frequently sits in my daughter's red wagon in the garage. This includes ~ 8 rods in tubes, gear bag and 2 sling packs - one for warmwater and one for cold. The net hangs with the waders.

rods in tubes in a few corners.
waders are hanging up on a hook.
boots for teh waders are under them. reels are in a simms reel thingy.
wading shoes in the back of the cruiser. flies are in a plastic divided container that has 35 spots. i've gotten away from stocking large numbers of flys however.

I have a 14x14 room pack full of fly fishing, tying, and rod building crap. organized? yeah, I wish!

I picked up a cheap-ish rod rack off eBay last year, then drilled more holes in it to fit more rods. Added a couple coat hooks to the side for the nets, hang the fishing bag off the other end and keep extra flyboxes and reels in the little attached cabinet, it's just big enough. Tying gear is stored in another small wooden chest with current pattern essentials stashed under the desk in their containers. I keep my boots on a mat by the door, waders are hung in my little laundry area.

Picture of the rack. And yeah, fishing gear was one of the first things I moved into the new place, priorities.
321000_2179031409047_1104126992_n.jpg

I was down in my basement yesterday doing my run on the treadmill, just lookin' at the mess thats down there. I could be doing a lot more with it, and I plan on doing so. Its an unfinished basement, but I can at least use the space wisely. I got a few tables that aren't doing anything, I could be tying at. I have walls I could mount rod holders on, crap like that. This thread is inspiration, baby. Inspiration.

Mine's ALL in the back of my car....

ALL of it!? I keep a good bit back there, enough that if I get a chance I can be on a stream fast, but man. ALL of it?

Ok, not all of it. But I'd say about 90% of it right now. I haven't cleared anything out since the JAM.

You should. You never know what you'll find! I found a BBSIII in the back of my car after the JAM.

Of course, Sal wanted it back.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
You should. You never know what you'll find! I found a BBSIII in the back of my car after the JAM.

You should have traded him some beef jerky for it and told him to go sleep in his van!

ryguyfi wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

You should have traded him some beef jerky for it and told him to go sleep in his van!
Haha, that ain't right. Funny though...

Dude will NEVER live that one down hahaha! A first in JAM history, perhaps?

We have a small anteroom at the back door and all my gear resides there.

Rods are in cases, leaning in a corner

Boots live in a Sam's Club shopping bag that I use as a wader bag.

Waders rest over a small bench.

Assorted gear is in a large plastic tub with lid that I throw in truck when heading out

Change of clothes is in a small duffle.

Wife hasn't said anything yet, but I should move this stuff to the garage or cellar. But it's just so danged convenient!

I should’ve concentrated on fly’s specifically .. I keep all mine in ur typical inexpensive fly box, take them with me when I fish, and when I lose them fishing (often enough :) ), replace it from the original assortment/package ordered. I have noticed a few of my fly’s in my box (hooks) have rusted a lil which isn’t good.

Looking for ideas what to use to organize fly’s so I can label them, put them away after a day of fishing and load them up b4 I go.

Regarding the rust, there are really two directions to go. They're opposites, but they both help.

1. Waterproof cases, don't let moisture in to begin with.
2. enough air circulation so that things dry out.

The worst are the non-waterproof cases that are air tight enough so that once things get wet, they stay wet.

I haven't had much problem in the Richardson. I get it wet plenty and it is far from waterproof. But I think it allows pretty decent circulation. And between outings, I store it in a cool, dehumidified basement. I can literally soak it and every fly within, and everything will be dry in less than a day.

Back