Opinions Wanted

F

flybum

Hey All,

I am new to the PA forums, but live just 30 minutes over the Ohio line (NE Ohio). I am very interested in learning more about the vast resource you have in streams for trout and smallmouth.

Does anyone have any advice on some streams in the NW corner of the state that would be good for a fly angler? I will probably get an annual license as you have way more fly fishing opps for trout than we do over here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and the favor will be returned if asked.

Thanks in advance,

Flybum
www.flyfishblogger.com/flybum
www.madriveroutfitters.com

If your willing to pay the annual license few and willing to travel the ANF supports an abundant amount of wild trout streams and you can always stay in places in PA such as Potter country which have tons of wild trout and is probably about a 3 hour drive but well worth it.

You may not have to go as far as the ANF. Actually there is probably wild trout fishing of commensurate or better quality than most of the ANF at least 20 miles closer to you in NE Ohio. Look at the SE corner of Crawford County, the NE third of Venango County and Warren County still west of the river and the ANF boundary. There are streams in the Caldwell, Pine and Sugar Creek drainages and some of the direct tribs to the River in Venango and western warren Countyies that are probably equally as good as any stream in the ANF on average.

But of course, the ANF is also OK. I just don't think on average it is really any better than these areas that are probably somewhat closer to you.

No quibble about Potter County though.. It's worth the drive.

So far as smallmouth go, if you're anywhere close to Conneaut Creek in Ohio, you have a stream that is probably as good for bass as most in the area you're querying.

French Creek in Erie, Crawford, Venango and Mercer Counties is the superior bass creek of the region. The portion of Oil Creek in Oil Creek State Park is very good bass water, far better bass than trout water, IMO. If you care to travel far enough, the Clarion River from below Ridgeway to below Cooksburg is very good bass water in a very scenic setting. And almost all the larger trout streams of the region have fair to good bass fisheries in their lower stocked reaches and below. This would include streams like Brokenstraw, Tionesta, Neshannock and several more..

I love fishing the ANF, there are plenty of streams there to fish, but as RLeep mentioned there are probably streams closer to you that are also worth fishing. Neshannock is probably my favorite stream, but that's because it's within an hour's drive. Slippery Rock is also good for both bass and trout, probably better for bass. Neshannock is better for trout, but there are also some smallies there too.

Tionesta is a large stream and holds lots of trout as does Oil Creek.

Where abouts in NE Ohio are you? That might make it easier to offer better suggestions and help pinpoint some distances to streams.

I live in Middlefield which is at the intersection of 87 & 528 if you are familiar with the highways. It is due west of Kinsman which sits on the PA line.

I really appreciate the feedback I am getting and hope you guys keep it coming. This will really help me narrow down the best spots to start exploring. Thanks and keep it coming.

On another note, if anyone is interested in California Golden's, check out my blog that I posted above. I am about 8 entries or so into documenting my recent 10 day trip to the high Sierra's.

Flybum

You're about 1:15 away from Neshannock so says MSN Maps.

Here's a link to the fly shop in Volant. They are great people and update the conditions daily. I'm not affiliated with them but do patronize the store.

http://ncflyshop.com/ncConditions.stm

http://ncflyshop.com/dhp.stm

There's a map of the Delayed Harvest section. There is also good fishing above and below this area, but I prefer below or in the DHALO.

Hope that helps.

BTW, those are some beautiful pictures. Looks like you've had some fantastic trips!

:cool:

Jaybo,

Thanks for all of your input. 1:15 is a heck of a lot closer than any Ohio stream for trout. I have said for 2 years now that I need to get over to PA....it's just too close not to.

Again, many thanks for tips and links.

Keep checking back to the blog as I try to post every few days. I still have a number of photos to post from California.....and yes it was an awesome time.

Tight Lines.....

Flybum

Pretty much anything north of I-80 and east of I-79 has a good chance of having at least some wild trout, especially near the headwaters of those flowing into the Allegheny.

Check out Sugar Creek and Little Sandy....these are two of the better known ones close to you. Neshannock is bigger water and few wild trout, but is a nice stream a definitely one of the closest to you.

If you cross-refernce the Approved trout water list with the natural reproduction list on the PFBC web site, you'll get most of the good streams.....most, not all.

OhioOutdoorsman,

I'm assuming the you fish PA a lot? If that's the case, how long have you been at it?

Like I have said before, I haven't fished it at all.....I hear that some really big Bows can be caught in the Allegheny. Is that true? I was told they spawn in March and nobody really pursues them.....curious as to whether that is true.

What is your favorite stream or river...if you don't mind sharing....if so, I understand.

Flybum

I guess I don't have a favorite, and I only have been at it about three years (well flyfishing in PA anyway). I'm a little farther away. I'm actually about an hour from the PA border.

I must say the best fishing by far is for steelehead in March and April in OH. The Rocky, Chagrin, Grand, and Conneaut. This is must do and I don't fish PA this time of year.

The streams I day trip to are:

In the spring and fall:

Cool Spring Creek
Neshanock Creek
Oil Creek
Sandy Creek

All year long (working your way up Rt 8 and then 62 along the Allegheny):

Little Sandy Creek, esp the C and R FFO section, some pigs in here (well for NW PA)
Lower Two Mile Run
Upper Two Mile Run

These are a haul for just a day but can be done:

West Hickory Creek
East Hickory and Queen Creek (you can camp along the river here.)

As I said Sugar Creek, too. This might be your closest decent water. Not for me, but for you.

I go about twice a month. The wild fish in this area is mostly browns with a few brookies. With the exception of a couple NE Venago county streams, no wild bows in this area, and definitely the only big ones are stockers. There are some big browns that are in the allegheny.

Have fun, definitely worth the out of state liscence and gas. Please vary it up and enjoy them all, these are all smaller waters and could get worn out easily.

OhioOutdoorsman,

Wow....thanks so much for the detail....I will most definately take some notes and grab my new gazeteer and map these place out. I look forward to getting over there and wetting a line.

What size rod do you typically use on the streams....I have 00, 2, 4, to utilize. With the smaller streams, I am assuming that the 00 or 2 would be fine.

Flybum

No problem, gas and time are too valuable these days to travel all that way and not get in some fish.

I personally don't fish anything below a 3 wt.

For neshannock and oil creek a 9' 4,5, or 6 wt. For the rest, I use a 7' 3wt or 7 1/2ft 4wt.

I used to have real good luck on French Creek. Smallmouth bass to 18" Specifically in the town of Venago (Crawford Co) where the ol' broken bridge crosses French Creek. Nice section to wade especially near the washed out wing dam. French Creek is a very underutilzed resource.

Flybum, let me know if you're headed up to Neshannock to check it out sometime. I'd gladly try and meet up with you there and show you around the waters. If it's trout you're after fall is probably best, but you may manage to pull a few out this time of year if the conditions are right.

OhioOutdoorsman gave you some great info on streams and rod selection. I like a 9' 5wt or a 9' 4 wt on Neshannock. I have fished it with an 8' 4wt and found it much more difficult to cover the water, it's a larger stream. Same rod selection holds true for Slippery Rock Creek and Tionesta Creek. You may even find that a 6wt is the way to go there. A 6wt would also probably be great, although I don't own one.

Kinzua Creek is another stream that I love, way up North, near the PA/NY border and definately prefer a 5 wt there. Probably not a good stream for a day trip although it could be done. It's probably around the 3-4 hour mark for me so when I go there, I spend a bit of time up there. There are feeder streams off of the Kinzua that hold wild trout if that's something you're after. I love the ANF region and spend roughly 2 weeks a year fishing the streams there. It's gorgeous country with abundant waters.

Does the guide need a guide? ;-)

Well, it looks like I might get a chance to put the yaks on the Allegheny in a couple of weeks. This will be my first experience on any piece of PA water. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of river this is? Depth, clarity, bottom, fishing techniques you might use?

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and to answer the question, "Does a guide need a guide?" Only in locating water and finding out what the pro's from the area like to throw. You'll notice I didn't ask for secret spots or good holes and things of that nature. If I have any kind of skills, I shoudl be able to find those on my own.

And no threat guys.....I don't guide in PA and don't plan on it.

Thanks again for the insight's and money you are saving me in gas traveling around looking at it all myself! :lol:

Tight Lines......

Flybum

>>Well, it looks like I might get a chance to put the yaks on the Allegheny in a couple of weeks. This will be my first experience on any piece of PA water. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of river this is? Depth, clarity, bottom, fishing techniques you might use?>>

Depends where you're considering fishing it.

It is a significantly different river at say, Tidioute than it is as Franklin or Kennerdell.

Do you guide for Mad River Outfitters?

If so, I really appreciate the Erie trib reports......

Yeah, I joined MRO's prostaff last year. They are a great group of guys. I really enjoy the opportunity to represent such a quality operation.....and I'm not saying that because I guide for them. I was saying that long before I ever started guiding.

I am glad you are able to utilize the reports......they just revamped their site not to long ago and took my advice on adding the stream flows as well......I told them, make it a one stop shop......reports, levels, and then you can tell whether to leave the house :)

We're getting geared up for the fall........

Tight lines,

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson

Back