Opinion please on some of my ties

W

Wmass

I would like some honest criticism and thoughts on these ties. Some are originals and some are recipes from the web or magazines. Let me know what you think.

Below is a streamer pattern I named the "Brookie Buster II".

The rest of my ties can be found at this flickr link. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36479670@N04/

i like that first fly. Very nice! Id tie that in olive also. Gotta be a killer :-D

Nice ties, I like the Sulpher Emerger. Never seen anyone that has enough sulpher imitations in their fly box. I also like how you tie the antennae on the Caddis. I don't, and often wonder why I don't when the flies whizzing by all have the darn things.

the rule is that what we think does not matter. If the fish love them you should love them. With that said, there is nothing wrong with any of your flies.

Your flies are very good and would meet the standard of most any first rate fly shop. As for some constructive criticism: It's frankly minor stuff but on the clipped deer hair caddis dry, you might omit the antennae. It's one of those additions that look great in the vise but the eventual force of water flow and casting will bend them backwards and they might foul around the bend of the hook. If you can get 'em to stream backwards without fouling they would enhance the realism of the fly but I doubt that would increase hookups. The caddis pupae are also very dense - I'd think a sparser fly might be better, although caddis pupae do have thicker abdomens than the lavae phase, I have always preferred somewhat sparser nymphs. Much of this is is really just opinion and subjective assessment - your flies are very good and speak for themselves.

Comment/Question: That deer hair looks like it would be better for compraduns rather than Caddis wings. I use a larger diameter hair for caddis and thinner darker hair (what you used) for emergers/posts/compraduns. I think it even helps with the floating. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

flies look good but the true judge will be that big old brownie. if he likes it then you have a winner.

definitely nice flies man --- wish I could tie that good -- got a recipe for the brookie buster?

nice ties how do the hydropsyche caddis work......never tried them....

ErnieBall wrote:
definitely nice flies man --- wish I could tie that good -- got a recipe for the brookie buster?

The "Brookie Buster" recipe is easy. Materials are a golden bead head or conehead rust, white, and tan marabou, rust colorred crystal flash dubbing or chenile brush. Tie the tail section in rust, then tie in the crystal flash, tie in a white marabou section for the rear fin just ahead of the tail section on the underside, then start wrapping your crystal flash forward, tie in a tan section on top and another white fin section on the underside about 2/3 of the way up the hook, then keep moving forward with the crystal flash, the last section is another rust colored piece of marabou tied in on top toward the bead/cone head section and cover with crystal flash and tie off. The "Brookie Buster II" is the same thing but with grizzley dyed marabou.

This fly has been an absolute KILLER for native brook trout in small streams. I have caught dozens of them on this pattern, hence the name.

flipnfly wrote:
nice ties how do the hydropsyche caddis work......never tried them....

I honestly just started tying this pattern and don't know how they fish because I haven't tried them yet. I saw the pattern in a recent magazine and decided to tie some up. I may get a chance to fish them in the next week so I will let you know how they work out. They look pretty damn attractive to me but I am no trout.

Thanks all for the comments on the flies. I will post some more pics of recent ties with materials used as soon as I get a chance.

nice! thanks for the recipe!

Wmass wrote:
ErnieBall wrote:

The "Brookie Buster" recipe is easy. Materials are a golden bead head or conehead rust, white, and tan marabou, rust colorred crystal flash dubbing or chenile brush. Tie the tail section in rust, then tie in the crystal flash, tie in a white marabou section for the rear fin just ahead of the tail section on the underside, then start wrapping your crystal flash forward, tie in a tan section on top and another white fin section on the underside about 2/3 of the way up the hook, then keep moving forward with the crystal flash, the last section is another rust colored piece of marabou tied in on top toward the bead/cone head section and cover with crystal flash and tie off. The "Brookie Buster II" is the same thing but with grizzley dyed marabou.

This fly has been an absolute KILLER for native brook trout in small streams. I have caught dozens of them on this pattern, hence the name.

What sizes are you using?

I like the foam stimulators a lot. The rest look pretty good to me. I just tied up a bunch of stimulators for Montana this summer. I'll have to tie some up with foam.

tabasco_joe wrote:
What sizes are you using?

The size is a number 8, but I am sure you could tie them larger or a little smaller if you wanted.

Again, I can't say enough about this pattern. When I concocted the recipe I had no idea how it would work because it looked a little weird, but I was slaying fish on it.

real nice flies, the "brookie buster" looks like a "smallie buster" as well...

jeff

govtmule wrote:
real nice flies, the "brookie buster" looks like a "smallie buster" as well...

jeff

you could definitely chase smallies with that bad boy

All nice ties!!

JH

I like the sulpher emerger,I tied up some like that last year.All with a white foam post,they worked very well at valley last spring.i'll have to try some of those in wisp style,nice stuff wmass.
tight lines,
Don

Back