One Word You Must Remember as to Not Ruin a Planned Afternoon of Fishing

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

DEET!

Took a lil excursion to the Poconos with my old golfing bud and figured why not take him to a spot that some 'Duck' told me about. In my paranoia of ticks I made sure permethrin was sprayed but in my 1+ year of fishing I never had a problem with mosquito's so I NEVER think about it ... but I never hiked this time of year in the deep woods.

We hike an hr+ and reached the destination I was told. We were going to fish that area plus some spots I thought would be holding on the way back down stream ... the entire hike my buddy and I were so uncomfortable. He had to put on a long sleeve shirt in this heat/humidity and we tried to fish with our collars over our head.

Constant attacks by those relentless annoying bugs and a ton of them on you every second ... fished very lil and went back.

As they say "live and learn" ... quality bug spray will always be with my fishing supplies.

20130628_194117-1_zps268449bd.jpg

20130628_193844_zpsa2e5741d.jpg

Wow... makes me itchy just looking at it. I can't say that I've used repellent in a couple of years, but you offer a good reminder... always be prepared!
Those skeeters must have been the size of pigeons by the bite marks!

Yeah yuck that makes me itchy just lookin at those.

Deet works best, but be very careful with it. Apply it and wash your hands thoroughly. It eats many kinds of plastics and absolutely dissolves many fly lines.

Looks like you were fishing in a swamp!

I've gotten away from DEET the last few years - and have been using picardin based sprays. And they've been working OK - so far anyway

dryflyguy wrote:
Looks like you were fishing in a swamp!

I've gotten away from DEET the last few years - and have been using picardin based sprays. And they've been working OK - so far anyway
I agree I quit using Deet too and went to Picardin. It works and does'nt melt my fly line.

So going there was a rash decision? :>

Really looks uncomfortable...

Three words to remember....Deep Woods Off, my friend...Deep Woods Off.

Four things always go in my pack or waders - headnet, bug spray, sun cream, gps. Plus TP, knife firestarter, and flashlight if I know I'm going to be out all day, as I normally fish alone.

It certainly is a banner year for mosquitoes. I've had to resort to using repellant both fishing and at work (I'm a surveyor). I haven't had the need for several years, I figure it must be the wet weather.

Your bites have bites. Nice. That's how you know you got a real reception committee.

Worse than Florida. lol
They sell repellant wipes which would be an item in my vest. GG

When I was out yesterday with DJBerg, we got swarmed. Both of us used deet, but they still got me (not as bad as they got you).

The worst ones are on the top of my ear lobes. That is the most annoying place I have ever been bitten by a mosquito. Both ears have been itching like crazy all day!

You guys need some of this stuff.

It works great!

Thanks HA, by the time it show up I'm sure I'll have more bites to treat ;)

Can you say West Nile Virus? Which may be the best reason to be using repellant, the itch will go away the virus might kill you!!

Caveman, quit trying to scare the poor bitten guy!

I for some reason seldom get the enjoyment of beautiful music buzzing around me or tiping my waitresses with fresh blood.

They did have on the news that people with O Positive blood get bit more often than the other blood types. Judging by the number of bites you must be O positive. as in ...O #censor#.....Ouch.....OMG

Having a good amount of Vitamin E in your system works wonders. But don't overdue it - it will give you a rash in them cubby holes (armpits/crotch). Also, bugs are attracted to aftershave lotions and other scents.

Never fish a swampy stream in hot humid weather.

We've all been there, they nailed you pretty good too. This is one of those things that needs happen only once to properly learn the lesson. :roll:

I'm a chronic fly fisherman and a wetland biologist so I'm exposed to these situations quite often. Word of advice, don't apply 100% DEET to your skin. Use only on your clothes and hat. Yes, this is the stuff that will disintegrate plastics and your fly line, etc. I have grown accustomed to wearing long sleeve quick dry sun protectant shirts. Columbia, UnderArmor, Gander Mountain make some good ones that aren't expensive. While bugs will still bite through clothing, they'd much rather go for exposed areas. Spray these long sleeve shirts and your exposed areas with DEET spray no more than 40% or use the Picardin. Whatever you favor. These shirts are great because they're light and dry fast and some even come with insect repellant built in. And yes, they work. Reapplying spray throughout the day is a must so pack it with you. On another note, I've had great luck with cigars when the the "dog nut gnats" are active. You know the ones that want to crawl in your eyes. Bottom line is don't expose your skin untreated. Period. You ain't in your living room out here so prepare for it. Getting chased off a stream by bugs is a total fishing blue ball that always could be avoided.

Back