Olive Scud and Pheas Tail Flshbck Nymph

D

dluton

I was told recently that these two flies worked well on Valley Creek when used in tandem, my question is which one goes on first, and neither is a BH so do I use weight or not? Anyone know the answers? Should I look for the Pheas Tail in a Beadhead form?

You can fish those without a bead. Even with a bead, you'll likely need a small shot or two depending on the velocity and depth of the current. I typically fish my nymphs in-line, tying the smaller of the two about a foot off the bend of the first.

dluton wrote:
I was told recently that these two flies worked well on Valley Creek when used in tandem, my question is which one goes on first, and neither is a BH so do I use weight or not? Anyone know the answers? Should I look for the Pheas Tail in a Beadhead form?

It really doesn't matter much. As a new fly fisher (FFer), you might want to fish for awhile with just a single fly rather than a double as fishing two flies can increase the number of tangles you get and sometimes be more expensive when you get snagged and lose both flies. With nymphs on Valley Creek, you want to stick with pretty small ones in drab, earth tone colors. Flies are referred to by their hook size, although this can be misleading. Hook sizes are numbered and the bigger the number, the smaller the hook. A scud fly tied on a #18 hook, for example, would be about a quarter inch in length. A #20 would be slightly smaller. These would be good sizes for Valley Creek. Later in the spring when other local streams have lots of stocked trout you can go larger with nymphs using #12 or #14.

If you can make the get-together that Heritage Angler is organizing, I'd highly recommend it.

FI is right, adding flies makes your ability to snarl lines go up exponentially.

Bead head pheasant tails are generic, and hit all the right check boxes, and can be found cheaply at places like Spwarlmarts and ****'
s. Start with one, and an indicator, and start practicing from there.

Walk before you run, crawl before you walk.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!! I am hoping to make the Newbie Jam, Maybe I'll see some of you there!

Hi dluton,

Welcome!

I actually did ok on Valley yesterday with olive scuds #18 fished behind a griffith's gnat (more of an indicator than anything else but did manage to fool two of them on the front fly) but would agree as a newbie the tandem can get expensive pretty quick.

I actually live pretty close by in West Bradford Twp so if you ever want to fish let me know. I've only been at this for a year now so may not have too much knowledge to impart but maybe could pass along a little of what I have learned (much of it from this board!)

Best,

Jason

Back