Old Guy - New Member

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

Howdy – I’m relatively new to fly fishing – just took it up last year – but I’ve been fishing most of my 65 years and even owned a retail tackle store at one time. Growing up in Ohio and spending many summers in Canada, my fishing focused on bass, pike, musky, and walleye. I started fly fishing back in the 80’s but then got sidetracked with life.

I’m happy to have found this site and look forward to learning from men and women who have thousands of years of collective fly fishing experience! Reading through the forum the last couple of weeks has made me painfully aware of just how little I know about this sport.

I’m in Bucks County, near Perkasie and I welcome suggestions for fishing anywhere within a couple of hours but especially on local streams. I’d love to join up with anyone fishing some local Class A streams. I’m very coachable and I think you’d find me eager to listen.

Just a quick question, what apps do you recommend for iPhone for using GPS to find fishing locations?

Thank you.

Cap,
Welcome! This is a great place and you will find that the folks around here are eager to help out.. PM me when and where youd like to go, and Ill tag along...

Do you tie flys?

Capt.hook, welcome. I am a Bucks County guy as well. You should come to the newbie jam. Look for it in the events section. Tyger and I will be there tying, as well as an entire wealth of knowledge from the rest of the group. Teaching everything from casting to tying. Good way to meet some local guys.

GenCon

Welcome aboard Capt. There are a lot of good places to fish around here. There is a Spring Event this Sat the 14th at East Bath Rod and Gun Club. The speaker will be Will Daskel and his talk will be on fishing the Beverkill and a few other streams in that area.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Cap,
Welcome! This is a great place and you will find that the folks around here are eager to help out.. PM me when and where youd like to go, and Ill tag along...

Do you tie flys?

Thank you for the kind offer. I will definitely take you up on it.

And, very nice avatar. Lived in the Burgh for 20 years. Been in Bucks 20 years now but I still miss Pittsburgh.

I started tying when I lived in Pittsburgh and a good friend took me under his wing. But, then I moved here and got away from it.

GenCon wrote:
Capt.hook, welcome. I am a Bucks County guy as well. You should come to the newbie jam. Look for it in the events section. Tyger and I will be there tying, as well as an entire wealth of knowledge from the rest of the group. Teaching everything from casting to tying. Good way to meet some local guys.

GenCon
I just put it on my calendar! Thank you. I'll look forward to meeting and learning.

whheff wrote:
Welcome aboard Capt. There are a lot of good places to fish around here. There is a Spring Event this Sat the 14th at East Bath Rod and Gun Club. The speaker will be Will Daskel and his talk will be on fishing the Beverkill and a few other streams in that area.

I would enjoy that. However, my wife is having surgery late this week and I'm planning on breaking her out of the hospital on Saturday.

Does the club have regular events like this?

CaptainHook wrote:
whheff wrote:

I would enjoy that. However, my wife is having surgery late this week and I'm planning on breaking her out of the hospital on Saturday.

Does the club have regular events like this?

This is the 13th year for this event. It is put on by the 4 local TU chapters. We started a Winter event last year that was well received so we will be doing that one again.
Bookmark the link to our chapter at the bottom and check it out every now and then.
Bill

CaptainHook wrote:
Just a quick question, what apps do you recommend for iPhone for using GPS to find fishing locations?
Thank you.

Welcome CH,
I don't utilize a smart phone app for fishing (hopefully somebody else will chime in) but if you hit "Where to Fly Fish" in the upper right side of this page, it's a good place to start and covers counties as well as special regs. You will also want to familiarize yourself with the state fish agency (fish.state.pa.us) as their website has waters listed by county and regs, and stocking/wild.

Finally, you can find a lot of info on this site using the Advanced Search function. There aren't a lot of questions that haven't been asked somewhere on this site (doesn't mean you shouldn't ask again).
DaveW

Welcome to the forum. I use mapquest if I ever need to locate a stretch of stream in the thick or figure out which blue line I am going to take. It has nearly every stream down to the smallest ditch. I usually figure out what stream I want to fish before hand, located it on that map, and then use it for reference if I need to. Only had to do it a few times.

Welcome to the Jungle!

I will recommend the Newbie Jam, as well. Great place to learn and meet folks

Thanks for the welcome, offers to fish and recommendations. I definitely plan on being at the Newbie Jam.

This is a great site. I even got a new rod and reel today from a member. Fine gentleman who I enjoyed meeting and talking with over coffee.

It's a pleasure being here!

Hi Capt, and welcome to the forum.

One of our members has what I believe you're looking for:

http://www.ultimatefishingmaps.com/home/State/PA/iPhone/PA_Fish_iPhone.html

I have the Garmin version of this - it's on a micro sd card, and plugs into my gps. Amazingly powerful tool, and the phone app is supposedly even better. Guess I should get that one too, since I just got a new phone. :)

The owner of the company is Mike Gogal (UFM Guy) here on paflyfish. Great guy, extremely helpful, and REALLY into his products.

He was a long time sponsor here, and has made presentations at several past Newbie Jams. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you in any way he can - that's just how he is.

Re the Jam - we're going for lunch at noon at a local restaurant, and then we'll be heading down to the Little Lehigh to fish. Bring your gear if you'd like to join in.

We'll pass on TONS of info on good places to fish - we take VERY good care of our newbies. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing you there!

H.A.

P.S. - you may want to bookmark this site for future reference:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/current/?type=flow

The numbers may not mean much to you now, but as you move along, they will be a great asset. Plus, you can always ask what levels are good to fish here on the forum. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard.

Hey Cap

Welcome to PAFF. There are a great group of folks on this forum with a wealth of information and a ton of experience. I'm sure you will see that if you hang out for a bit at the Newbie Jam (real good folks that put that whole event together). Good luck and enjoy!

Welcome aboard. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Welcome aboard. GG

Thank you, GG. It's a pleasure. I've already met two fine members here and I'm looking forward to more.

Pa fishing guide, it's on the right of the page. Welcome aboard...

Hi Captain and welcome! I'm actually still a sponsor of the site but took a brief hiatus. My ad for the PA Fishing Guide just went up today so just click the ad to see a detailed description. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I'm in Warrington, Bucks County myself and also grew up in Pittsburgh so we've got a lot in common. I was there last weekend touring Pitt with my daughter. I left Pittsburgh for college in Philadelphia. Now my daughter wants to go to school in Pittsburgh. The cycle completes.

Back