Oct. Caddis Recipe

S

steve98

Headeing to Slate Run area next week.
Looking for and October Caddis receipe for that area.
All input well appreciated.

TY in advance
steve 98

I've never fished october caddis in that area.
But I have run into them in central pa - on the little j and penns.
They're big - I tie them on #12 hooks.
My patterns are made fluttering caddis style:

sulpher orange body
brown deer hair
brown hackle collar

On the relatively few occasions when I have found fish taking them - which is usually right at dusk - they're slashing at them hard as they emerge, often coming completely out of the water. And I kinda doubt that an exact color match is critical

Chuck%2BCaddis.JPG

Click on the lonk for the Recipe and full tying video:

Tying the Chuck Caddis

I'm not a tyer, but last October I was fishing Pine at Slate Run and purchased some October Caddis at Wolf's. They had a foam body and we're probably a size 8. I used them as an indicator with a nymph dropper. I drifted them down and across and then skittered them at the end of the drift. This generated some violent strikes especially in the riffles. I probably caught as many on the caddis as I did on the nymphs.
Good luck next week, weather doesn't sound great. I'm headed to Cedar Run tomorrow and hope to fish Pine next week.

light orange body, tan wing, brown hackle. size 12-10's size 10's are hatching now.

BradFromPotter, I'm with you, although my dubbing is a little toned down from orange and I eliminate the palmer hackle. I also like to use 200R hooks, which give a low profile.

Back