Nymphing Rig Diagram

P

Putyaonagurney

Does anyone have a diagram of their setup for nymphing? Or can you explain your setup for nymphing?

Thanks!

I've sketched a rough idea of a basic nymph rig: The green is the fly line; use about 3' of 20lb mono, then about 3' of 10lb mono (I like a strike indicator somewhere about here, depends on water depth), then about 3' of 6lb test tippet. Put a split shot about 10" above the fly.

Attachments

• 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for your reply. That's pretty much how I do it as well. I'm just not a good nymph fisher. I can usually catch more fish than my fellow fly fisherman on dries. But I just don't do well fishing under. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I usually cast 3/4 upstream, mend it after it's drifted a little ways and try to keep some slack in the line until the drift is over.

I also try to fish as close to the bottom as I can without snagging. If I'm not getting bumps or an occasional snag, I add more weight.

Anything not sound right about what I'm doing?

Putyaonagurney wrote:
Thanks for your reply. That's pretty much how I do it as well. I'm just not a good nymph fisher. I can usually catch more fish than my fellow fly fisherman on dries. But I just don't do well fishing under. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I usually cast 3/4 upstream, mend it after it's drifted a little ways and try to keep some slack in the line until the drift is over.

I also try to fish as close to the bottom as I can without snagging. If I'm not getting bumps or an occasional snag, I add more weight.

Anything not sound right about what I'm doing?

Nope - sounds good to me.
Generally speaking, I think many FFers would agree that nymph fishing is more difficult than dry fly fishing. I certainly agree. The only thing I'd suggest: you mention keeping slack in the line - slack makes it hard to detect strikes. Try keeping a bit "tighter" connection to your drifting fly and you might find you detect more strikes. Shorter casts also help a beginning nympher.

Thanks again guys. You may both be on to something, as I usually make pretty long casts, and leave some slack in my line. Will try to remedy both next time out and see how it goes!

Back