NW PA (Meadville) fishing

dsmith1427

dsmith1427

The wife and I will be taking our daughter to college next Thursday - Meadville. We are going to spend the day in Meadville and then drive to Pittsburg the next day for a wedding. Are there any WW opportunities in the immediate area? I see the trout waters from the link in the upper RH corner but I am not looking to stray to far. Anyway, PM me if you want. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Don

I went to school at Allegheny College myself and can say there is definitely a wealth of areas for warm water fishing. French Creek which runs right through the City is a fantastic fishery for both walleye and smallmouth as well as a multitude of larger fish. I would just look for the faster areas for the more consistent fishing.
Also if you want a good chance at something quite a bit larger, although more heavily fished you can try woodcock creek lake outflow. The outflow itself is polluted with muskies, some of which are very nicely size. You can also find them throughout the stream along with walleye and smallies. That stream is stocked with trout though so you would need a stamp and probably want to match the muskies favorite hatch rainbows, perch also important.You can also fish that lake from the shore fairly effectively and pick up both small and largemouths.
If you want to drive a little farther you can fish Pymatuning which has a lot of fish, although during summer wade fishing can be a little more difficult. Lots of bass though can still potentially be had with some very good size.

French Creek!!!

With that said, it's been pretty high and muddy most of the year. Who knows what it'll look like next Thursday. It can be great for smallmouths but it also has walleye, pike, muskies, some largemouths in areas, etc. Woodcock Lake/Creek is an option. I don't have a lot of experience fishing the lake, but the creek can be ok at times. It gets a TON of pressure though so the fish aren't always easy. Panfish, little bass and walleye, sometimes bowfin, and it has muskies.

The Geneva Swamp is the bowfin capital of PA. It can be very hit or miss on the fly though. The crappie fishing can be great, but they too are very hit or miss.

Lake Wilhelm can be alright for panfish and bass.

Sugar Lake is an option for panfish and bass as well(I've even seen chain pickerel there), but shore access is limited if you don't have a boat.

If you don't mind straying west you got the Shenango, but if you go the same distance east of 79 you got some trout options and of course the Allegheny.

Not sure if you're fishing on the way to/from Pittsburgh, but there's also Neshannock and Slippery Rock for bass(and bonus trout). Lake Arthur too for bass and panfish.

Edit: markp posted while I was typing. Yeah, what he said....

Thanks for the great information. I will definitely through my gear in the car and hope to give it a try.

Back