afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Notice below

Attachments

• Notice for PA Parks.jpg
    Notice for PA Parks.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 15
I'll be on self quarantine next week please don't contact me. If you see me on the stream please do not interact with me as I will be going one on one with the trout.
Thank you.

Ridley State Park is closed, as part of this. Chester County, among others, is closing parks and trails. So some of the few waters open to trouting this month are out of the game.

As long as Ole bull will stay open I'll be happy. Me and my buddies are finally staying near there to fish on opening weekend and that's where we were going to start.

lestrout wrote:
Ridley State Park is closed, as part of this. Chester County, among others, is closing parks and trails. So some of the few waters open to trouting this month are out of the game.
The notice reads: “As part of Pennsylvania’s COVID-19 mitigation efforts, all of the parking lots and buildings at Ridley Creek State Park, including the park office and restrooms, will be closed, and all events and public educational programs are canceled,”

I assume that means they are NOT going to shut down Gradyville Road?

I wonder if they will restrict fishing on Ridley Creek once the season opens if there is another closure?

Montgomery County closed all their county owned parks.

A fishing buddy was kicked off Marsh Creek (state park) on Sun. He was in his boat when a DCNR guy on the shore with a bullhorn demanded everyone leave immediately. I know all the Chester Co. parks are closed but I believe the trails are still open.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
A fishing buddy was kicked off Marsh Creek (state park) on Sun. He was in his boat when a DCNR guy on the shore with a bullhorn demanded everyone leave immediately. I know all the Chester Co. parks are closed but I believe the trails are still open.
All of this is very confusing and the DCNR, PFBC and local officials need to come together and do a better job of explaining things and/or the DCNR needs to clarify things with their rangers.

The notice on the Marsh Creek State Park website and ALL State Parks reads:

Statewide Facilities COVID-19 Closure

Pennsylvania State Parks Facilities will be closed for 14 days effective Tuesday, March 17 to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. As part of Pennsylvania's COVID-19 mitigation efforts, all buildings at the parks, including park offices and restrooms, will be closed, and all events and public educational programs will be canceled. The public will still be able to access trails, lakes, rivers, forests, roads, and parking areas for passive and dispersed recreation, such as hiking. All overnight and day use rental facilities will be closed. While these park facilities are closed, state park rangers and park managers will continue to work to ensure security and that public safety is protected.

So is a lake a facility or not? If not, why did your friend get kicked off?

IF somehow PFBC lakes are closed in DCNR parks, will they still be stocked with trout or other species and if so, why?

Same goes for county parks. Chester County has closed their parks but the webpages for the individual parks say nothing. In addition, they say the trails are open but what about waterways and how do you access them? Are the parking lots closed?

And what about stocking? French Creek flows through Chester County's Warwick Park. Will the creek be open to fishing if the park is still closed by April 18th and why stock it NOW if that possibility exists?

Ridley Creek is stocked in Ridley Creek State Park which is supposedly closed. Will you be able to fish Ridley Creek in Ridley Creek SP if the park is still closed by April 18th? If not, is it being stocked and why?

Bottom line, if I was kicked off of Marsh Creek Lake, I'd call the DCNR and ask WHY when their notice clearly says the public will still have access to lakes.

If the lake WAS open, it wouldn't be the first time I heard about a DCNR Ranger who didn't fully understand the rules.

Yep, I tried to make a similar point on another thread. I hear Bamboozle.

Marsh Creek State park in Chester country is the busiest state park in the system. IMO, it has been mismanaged for the last 23 years. I’m not surprised in the lack of clear communication and public guidance.

All I know is I'm going fishing to stay as far away from people,....like the fish seem to stay as far away from me.

If and when a revised stocking schedule is released showing what waters were stocked and when, you will have your answer regarding State Park waters. I know of no PFBC lakes that are in state parks. Those are DCNR owned lakes. The PFBC owns its lakes. Some are surrounded by County Parks, however, and those park lands are leased from the PFBC in the case with which I am most familiar, but I suspect that may be a common arrangement...I don’t know with certainty.

Here is what is suppose to happen at DCNR Lakes / State Parks (Marsh Creek State Park / Lake included) >

DCNR Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn made the announcement Friday, following President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration, and Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf’s decision to close all public schools in the state.

“As the coronavirus continues to spread, we want to assure our visitors that their health and safety is a primary concern,” Dunn said. “We are taking extra precaution by canceling group activities in an effort to minimize the risk of exposure and spread of COVID-19, while still allowing visitors access to the recreation and beautiful outdoor places, including fishing during the upcoming trout season, that can help their physical and mental health.

With the exception of the closed state parks in Montgomery County, fishing will continue to be allowed at Pennsylvania state parks and forests. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will continue to stock trout, and fishing on mentored youth days and opening days will be permitted. For the latest on trout stocking, visit the PFBC website.

Link to source:
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

I still don't know why my friend was booted off Marsh Creek Lake, but I read on another board where a guy towed his boat over there there next day and was denied access. To add to the confusion my local Lake (Chambers) is in a county park. BTW, the same friend was fishing Hopewell lake today without incident and that is in French Creek State Park, so maybe it's just Ranger mania?

Trust me, unless there is some exception that is documented nowhere, it's ranger mania.

I ran into the same thing with a float tube once. A ranger said, "the book says no inflatables, get off."

I went home, looked it up, found out he was wrong so I emailed the DCNR about it and got an apology.

If I was him, I would really call or email the DCNR and ask why.

Bamboozle wrote:
Trust me, unless there is some exception that is documented nowhere, it's ranger mania.

I ran into the same thing with a float tube once. A ranger said, "the book says no inflatables, get off."

I went home, looked it up, found out he was wrong so I emailed the DCNR about it and got an apology.

Bb,

That's funny!

When I first moves back here I ran into the same thing but I followed him back to his office and made him look it up and got, "huh, well, what do you know?" He asked me a few questions, because clearly, somehow, he had never really seen on in person before.

I was hoping to do a little fishing at Marsh Creek. Glad I checked this first. When I called the message said trails lakes parking etc will be open, just no groups of people. Facilities events etc will be closed or cancelled

Floating in the middle of a lake seems low impact compared gathering with the hoards of people in the few business that remain open.

bam wrote:
I was hoping to do a little fishing at Marsh Creek. Glad I checked this first. When I called the message said trails lakes parking etc will be open, just no groups of people. Facilities events etc will be closed or cancelled

Floating in the middle of a lake seems low impact compared gathering with the hoards of people in the few business that remain open.

I live close to MC. My understanding is both the park and lake are now open for use by the public. No facilities like bathrooms or boat rentals are open, though. Go fish and enjoy yourself.

My friend just called and said the lake (Marsh Creek) was open for business (or mayhem as I like to call weekends at M.C.) Sadly my back is still troubling me and I know from bitter experience waving a fly rod will not help it. On the plus side I am tying up some nice pan fish patterns.

tomgamber wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

Bb,

That's funny!

When I first moves back here I ran into the same thing but I followed him back to his office and made him look it up and got, "huh, well, what do you know?" He asked me a few questions, because clearly, somehow, he had never really seen on in person before.
I now carry a copy of the "Float Tubes are OK" rule in my belly boat and copies of other frequently misinterpreted rules in my fishing shirt, just in case...

It's like when I fish certain Class A's this time a year and people pull their cars over to lecture me that it "isn't trout season."

...if I was headed to Marsh Creek or anyplace else I thought I might get challenged, I'd have the rules with me!!

Back