Nockamixon: heads-up muskellunge anglers

M

Mike

As we have reported for the past two years on the PFBC web page biologists reports, the Nock tiger muskellunge pop is very good. Thanks to Muskies, Inc Chapt 50, two purchases of pure Muskies from a mid- west private hatchery have been added to the lake at lengths of 12 to 15 inches. Given their size and numbers stocked, I expect that the Nock has a chance to develop into a fine fishery for toothy critters. The heads-up, is that the ice anglers have captured and released quite a number of tigers this winter, which bodes well for the coming ice-out period. Of course, anglers may choose to sit at home until the word gets out, but by that time they will have probably missed the easy fishing period.

my first nock tiger was on my fenwick 5'2" 5 wt at the base of the dam in the 70's fishing for smallies. was 32" in length.

Thanks for the heads-up Mike. Will be interesting in future trap net surveys to see how the purebred yearlings grow relative to the tiger fingerlings. I think comparisons such as these may really help shed some light on the overall state muskie program and its costs/benefits (now if we can just get some more focus on river populations). Did MuskiesInc provide fish for any other waters that you're aware of?

As soon as ice is out, I'm planning on hitting some local lake shores for pike and tigers. In my experience, this shallow water game is over by about late April.

I cant wait to fish the nock, Im going to be putting more time on it this year and probably fishing marsh way less then i did before. So right at ice out is good for tigers?

Getting excited about throwing the 10wt.

Fishidiot,
Check the stocking records for Susquehanna R, Section 05. Within that section they are stocked by the PFBC at Falmouth boat ramp and in Bainbridge, both in Lanc Co. They are being caught as far downstream as the weed beds at Long Level, York Co in Section 06.
The problem is that I only occasionally hear of catches, particularly in the warmwater discharge vicinity At Brunner Island. The question remains whether the increase in stockings there makes economic sense based on the return to anglers.

As for the Muskies Inc stockings purchased mid-west have been stocked in various waters...Marsh Ck LK, Nock, Tuscarora LK, Auburn Dam on the Schuylkill, and if I recall correctly, the Lehigh R and Delaware R. You may even catch some spotted ones.

Blue Marsh alert...While on the topic, I do not want to slight Blue Marsh and Marsh Ck LK....Marsh Creek is the best of the three, but Blue Marsh is coming on too. See Blue Marsh biologists' report from last spring on Muskies, walleye, and crappie.

As you can probably tell from my posts, it is not all about trout your AFMs.

Back