Night fishing spring creek (state college)

R

ryan1mazza

Does anyone have any experience with night fishing spring creek or even spruce creek? heading out there tonight to give it a try and wanted to see if anyone has done any good. Any mousing opportunities?

Thanks

Spring, yes, Spruce no.

If you use a mouse, unless you locate a big fish in the daytime and go back at night for him, you're liable to have a lot of strikes but few hookups, as the dinks will hit mice too but often have trouble eating them. So go smaller on the surface flies if you want any sort of quantity; I use hoppers and small gurglers in addition to mice, but after looking at some photos, it looks like most of the fish took mice. Or go big if you want quality :) Harder to swing streamers at some location in Spring because of all the weed growth, especially with the low water conditions this year.

Spring is one of the few creeks in the state I feel safe wading a couple hundred yard stretch at night.

Here are a few that Spring held.

Thanks for the insight.. I was planning on giving the bellefonte section a go since the water has been a little cooler down there and I know it well. Not sure how its going to go though with that new walkway they put in and probably lots of lights.

I haven't fished either at night but I think Spruce would be good too. My advice would be to get to know it well in daylight as there are a lot of overhanging branches compared to Spring. Also check water temp if you're fishing the Harvey water

leech streamers can be deadly at night.

Back