Night Fishing resources, techniques, flies, and reports.

I saw that episode, it is nice to see how others night fish. I have glow in dark fly line but I don’t light it up that much at this point. I went out tonight in a small mouth stream with a few PAFF forum members. Caught one small mouth and personal bested on rock bass. View attachment 1641231376View attachment 1641231377View attachment 1641231378View attachment 1641231379
Nice spider web. most anglers don’t know it but examining spider webs is a technique I have been using for 30+ years to predict the hatch

This is the first trout I caught in Pennsylvania, I caught it at night. I used to night fish all the time and the last 2 years I really haven't much at all. I've fished with the glow fly line and it's a game changer for me. I also use emergency glow tape on mono as an indie if I'm nymphing. I've had great success with dark neutrally buoyant streamers. I haven't caught anything over 20" but a bunch in the 16-19" range however I'm fishing a small class A tributary that I've only seen one fish over 20" in 8 years. If you haven't gone out at night you got to do it.

20150720 2056562
20200419 211037
20200522 205017

Attachments

• 20190526_210708.jpg
    20190526_210708.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This is the first trout I caught in Pennsylvania, I caught it at night. I used to night fish all the time and the last 2 years I really haven't much at all. I've fished with the glow fly line and it's a game changer for me. I also use emergency glow tape on mono as an indie if I'm nymphing. I've had great success with dark neutrally buoyant streamers. I haven't caught anything over 20" but a bunch in the 16-19" range however I'm fishing a small class A tributary that I've only seen one fish over 20" in 8 years. If you haven't gone out at night you got to do it.

View attachment 1641231425View attachment 1641231428View attachment 1641231427
Holy crap thats an awesome shot of the snake with the the fish!!!!! Yea there is nothing like something grabbing your fly in the dark. Wish I could get out and do it more often

Holy crap thats an awesome shot of the snake with the the fish!!!!! Yea there is nothing like something grabbing your fly in the dark. Wish I could get out and do it more often
I see this a lot. This was a big one. that trout is about 12" so the snake is 3-4'.
20140801 12114902
20140801 1208072

Omg thats savage! I wear snake gaiters at night time for good reason that cover where my wading boot laces meat the tongue to 2” below my knee.
Scared of water snakes?

Scared of water snakes?
I am not great at Identifying different ones when I can’t see my hand in front of my face. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make night fishing is using a light while fishing or walking right up to where the fish are. It spooks them in my experience.

I am not great at Identifying different ones when I can’t see my hand in front of my face. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make night fishing is using a light while fishing or walking right up to where the fish are. It spooks them in my experience.
Yea any light will spook fish. I have a green light and a red light that I use sparingly when trying on flies or when releasing fish. Without white lights even on the darkest nights you can see really well after about 15 minutes. For whatever reason my eyes adjust back to dark better with green light than red.

Yea any light will spook fish. I have a green light and a red light that I use sparingly when trying on flies or when releasing fish. Without white lights even on the darkest nights you can see really well after about 15 minutes. For whatever reason my eyes adjust back to dark better with green light than red.
Yea mine too, I am in the process of reworking my night game a little. I think I got a little one size fits all with the working downstream with wets all the time because it works on big riffled/broken water a lot of the time. However, closer to home i fish tighter calmer streams and I think the down stream approach has hurt me. I am going to give upstream a try more often now and see where it gets me.

Wanted to head out to north central PA to night fish but available time kept me close to home and got my butt kicked on a local stream I know very well but have not cracked the code on at night yet. Always a kick in the mop fly and glow bugs when you work a stream for 5 hours with 2 missed hits and walk back through with the light after your done and seeing it absolute polluted with huge trout.

Waiting for some cool temps on my local brook trout streams to get out and try night fishing these wets i tied today, might have to wait till Sept to find below 64 F around my parts.
7A4D032C 1F44 45CC 8760 A1B0FC1A479A

Wanted to head out to north central PA to night fish but available time kept me close to home and got my butt kicked on a local stream I know very well but have not cracked the code on at night yet. Always a kick in the mop fly and glow bugs when you work a stream for 5 hours with 2 missed hits and walk back through with the light after your done and seeing it absolute polluted with huge trout.

Waiting for some cool temps on my local brook trout streams to get out and try night fishing these wets i tied today, might have to wait till Sept to find below 64 F around my parts.
View attachment 1641231494
That's the night game in a nutshell. Sometimes snagging a branch is the only action you get all night.

That's the night game in a nutshell. Sometimes snagging a branch is the only action you get all night.
I might be in the area next week you going out at all recently or near future? Looks like juvenile crawdads everywhere

I might be in the area next week you going out at all recently or near future? Looks like juvenile crawdads everywhere
I wanted to this week but have had a few things come up. I might get out Friday and or one night next week.

I wanted to this week but have had a few things come up. I might get out Friday and or one night next week.
Yea I will let ya know if I wind up down that way next week maybe can hit a spring creek

Articulated fettuccine head ?
I usually don’t add a shank or anything fancy. Usually its marabou tail, palmered marabou body that just winds up making tail wide and puffy and spun fetucini head with foam clipped diver style/shape on a size 6 2x strong 1x long hook. And about 18” up where the 18lb 0x connects to the tippet ring I have a 2” dropper to a Governor or another size 8-10 wet fly of my creation. Although i have been partial to 1xstrong 2x long size 10 picketts pin with all the juvenile crayfish around now.

I usually don’t add a shank or anything fancy. Usually its marabou tail, palmered marabou body that just winds up making tail wide and puffy and spun fetucini head with foam clipped diver style/shape on a size 6 2x strong 1x long hook. And about 18” up where the 18lb 0x connects to the tippet ring I have a 2” dropper to a Governor or another size 8-10 wet fly of my creation. Although i have been partial to 1xstrong 2x long size 10 picketts pin with all the juvenile crayfish around now.
Harvey pushers in size 4-6 as well on the point instead of the foam headed mouse/sculpin/frog creature if its not happening on the surface or I’m in the riffles.

580676F9 5D61 4F7E A991 C30B8EA5DFDD

^My standard wet size 10

3515C0BB B9D1 4BA7 AE35 8083DDBBC8D1

^modified picket’s pin thats a size 6 but i fish em alot smaller as a dropper too.
2E2E3AED BC64 4DE8 8BB5 951DEE2B7E65

Classic harvey pusher I think those are size 8 but I fish em size 10-2. Mostly size 4-6 on the point fly.

Enjoyable night of fishing one of my favorite combos.A wet fly dropper 18” up from a mouse/frog/sculpin creature. All Unweighted. I need to get out and work on my upstream night fishing game next time with nymphs and streamers. Never enough nights on the stream try all I want to.
76B4868C B594 422B 87AC CE337EBE8A6F
9D5ABA3D 51A7 4F5C 945C A01AA7B90B86
EEE3CBEA B8ED 4088 8A31 06F629FCA52C
3BA4B0D1 D8F0 4A13 B385 942CBD0FE6E0
9C226A07 C12B 43F1 B9B2 ECF8DBB7EFF2
93AD3C1A 3733 42FC 9FF2 53C9174A7A4D

Back