Night Fishing resources, techniques, flies, and reports.

I’ve done some night fishing, mostly in Montana, and often with dry flies, and caught some sizable trout. A number of years back I also used to fish Penns Creek at night.

For a couple of years I camped next to a school teacher from Washington state and we fished right beside each other after dark in a small eddy on a well known Montana river. We had the whole place to ourselves, except for the many trout that moved into that eddy to feast on the smorgasbord of flies that floated over them when the sun went down.

The teacher had a habit of getting out his tape measure to see how large our bigger trout were, those that we believed were 20” or better. One night he caught and released a brown that taped out at close to 36”.

A year ago, a Montana angler caught this state record brown trout at night.

IMG 3227

I’ve done some night fishing, mostly in Montana, and often with dry flies, and caught some sizable trout. A number of years back I also used to fish Penns Creek at night.

For a couple of years I camped next to a school teacher from Washington state and we fished right beside each other after dark in a small eddy on a well known Montana river. We had the whole place to ourselves, except for the many trout that moved into that eddy to feast on the smorgasbord of flies that floated over them when the sun went down.

The teacher had a habit of getting out his tape measure to see how large our bigger trout were, those that we believed were 20” or better. One night he caught and released a brown that taped out at close to 36”.

A year ago, a Montana angler caught this state record brown trout at night.

View attachment 1641231181
I had seen that article. I’d love to try fishing for a cutthroat at night and see how it goes out there in the yellowstone near gardner.

I have done 30-50 trips a year at night for nearing 8 years. Pa trout seem to rise very infrequently once the evening hatch/spinnerfall ends. My surface imitations are always larger prey items or smal-large wets right underneath

I had seen that article. I’d love to try fishing for a cutthroat at night and see how it goes out there in the yellowstone near gardner.

I have done 30-50 trips a year at night for nearing 8 years. Pa trout seem to rise very infrequently once the evening hatch/spinnerfall ends. My surface imitations are always larger prey items or smal-large wets right underneath
There’s a number of places not far downstream of Gardiner that you could fish at night. I’d probably go a few miles farther downstream and toss a mouse and hope for bigger fish.

There’s a number of places not far downstream of Gardiner that you could fish at night. I’d probably go a few miles farther downstream and toss a mouse and hope for bigger fish.
How far downriver are their cutthroat trout or cuttbows? I've only fished the Yellowstone much further up, near Hellroaring Creek. That was a long time ago, around 1974. Most, maybe all, of the fish looked like cuttbows, rather than pure-strain cutts.

How far downriver are their cutthroat trout or cuttbows? I've only fished the Yellowstone much further up, near Hellroaring Creek. That was a long time ago, around 1974. Most, maybe all, of the fish looked like cuttbows, rather than pure-strain cutts.
I believe there are at least some cutthroat, and cuttbows, all the way to Billings, a number of which come from the many tributaries along the way. There is a larger percentage of cutthroat near Gardiner, and that percentage declines as there are more rainbows and browns (and bigger fish) the farther you go down the river, at least to Big Timber (more or less) a distance of about 90 miles.

Yea the style of mouse they use out west (hanta mouse, double barrel foam headed articulated mouse) or the michigan ones like lynches white bellied mouse, master splinter ect, or even moorish mouse, hair brush mouse all seem to wind up in just alot of missed strikes in PA(likely because of more smaller fish). Don’t get me wrong they do work well I have caught alot of high teens fish and my PB 21-22” fish on a master splinter. But there are better patterns for PA that are less “mousy” (bad mother/marabou muddler, dal berg diver, my foam fetuccini marabou muddler. They like it to sit below the surface atleast half way and I find size 4 hook will hook the majority of medium to large size trout that hit it.

Id love to try out west with those wild articulated mouse and creature patterns but in PA unless your in waters that hold tons of 20”+ fish their not too practical.

There are some places on smallmouth rivers that I fish that are close enough to civilization that there's some background lighting in the distance. That makes night fishing a lot easier. It doesn't turn the fish off the way that bright moonlight often does.

In the summer, nighttime is by far the best chance of connecting with a river smallmouth over 14". I like using deer hair surface flies, personally. For the drama.

Last edited:
There are some places on smallmouth rivers that I fish that are close enough to civilization that there's some background lighting in the distance. That makes night fishing a lot easier. It doesn't turn the fish off the way that bright moonlight often does.

In the summer, nighttime is by far the best chance of connecting with a river smallmouth over 14". I like using deer hair surface flies, personally. For the drama.
Very interesting! Smallmouth is a species I want to really give a whirl this summer at night near my home. Do you find they only bite near human light sources or can you get them in the shadows, wondered about their visual abilities at night. Are you twitching and dead drifting or actively retrieving those hair bugs?

Very interesting! Smallmouth is a species I want to really give a whirl this summer at night near my home. Do you find they only bite near human light sources or can you get them in the shadows, wondered about their visual abilities at night. Are you twitching and dead drifting or actively retrieving those hair bugs?
ha, the "human light sources"are for the benefit of us humans blundering around in the river at night, not the fish. I'm talking about lights in the distance that can been seen as a glow above the trees, or reflecting off cloud cover. Just enough to provide some night vision. The water itself is dark. There might be some fish species that are attracted to lights, but not smallmouth or largemouth bass, or trout.

Mostly, I fish hair bugs the same way as I do in the daytime- drop it on the water and let it rest for 30 seconds, and then give it a gentle jerk or twitch, sometimes by pointing my rod at the fly and pulling on the line. Be gentle. You want it to act like a frog, a wounded minnow, or a struggling mouse would act in the water. Don't overdo it.

Fish are sensitive, if they're nearby a big bug fly will get their attention when it lands.In fact, if you drop it right on their head, they'll probably take off- unless they're right next to the bank and looking for something to fall in, in which case they'll chomp on it right away. So the way to play things after the fly lands is to give it 30 seconds or so. In still water, enough time for all of the ripples to spread out and disappear. Bass in rivers are not like trout, they're fine with a little bit of current, but they most often hold in pools near structure. River bass swim more than trout. Trout shelter in place, and wait for food to come to them. (The exceptions are big trout feeding at night, which act more like bass. And big hatches, when both trout and bass are known to get reckless.) Bass prefer to prowl, and pounce. They cruise in pools along foam lines, and in the shallows- especially at night. They rarely hold in current that isn't slow enough to have a smooth surface. There are big streches of the Susky, Potomac, and other rivers that are like long, glassy runs, almost from bank to bank. Find the edges of the weed beds, big boulders, sunken logs or other structure. Trout prefer to hug cover. Bass just want some close enough to sprint to in an emergency. In low water, they're spookier than trout.

Figure that the fly landing will attract the fish- so they'll close in to check it out and see if it's maybe something worth eating. If you give the fly action too early, it seems fake. So you want to be just patient enough to let the fish swim over, and then give the fly a little tug, so it quivers in the water. The fun part about topwater bass fishing is that the first little motion is what triggers most of the strikes. But if nothing happens, give it another 10 seconds, twitch the fly again. Do that a couple more times, and then retrieve it slow, at about the speed of a swimming frog. Take your time, because you may have a fish following it, getting ready to pounce. Squeeze the water out of the deer hair and cast again.

When I was a little kid fishing topwater lures like Jitterbugs, I always thought that I had to crank the lure in. Never got a fish like that. If I'd fished it like I was supposed to, the way I just described fishing a fly, I might have caught fish. The trick is to not be impatient. Let the fly or lure rest in the water. And don't strip it in, just move it enough to make it look realistic. A little ripple in the water, and then a pause. The topwater game works much better with flies than lures, actually.

Last edited:
ha, the "human light sources"are for the benefit of us humans blundering around in the river at night, not the fish. I'm talking about lights in the distance that can been seen as a glow above the trees, or reflecting off cloud cover. Just enough to provide some night vision. The water itself is dark. There might be some fish species that are attracted to lights, but not smallmouth or largemouth bass, or trout.

Mostly, I fish hair bugs the same way as I do in the daytime- drop it on the water and let it rest for 30 seconds, and then give it a gentle jerk or twitch, sometimes by pointing my rod at the fly and pulling on the line. Be gentle. You want it to act like a frog, a wounded minnow, or a struggling mouse would act in the water. Don't overdo it.

Fish are sensitive, if they're nearby a big bug fly will get their attention when it lands.In fact, if you drop it right on their head, they'll probably take off- unless they're right next to the bank and looking for something to fall in, in which case they'll chomp on it right away. So the way to play things after the fly lands is to give it 30 seconds or so. In still water, enough time for all of the ripples to spread out and disappear. Bass in rivers are not like trout, they're fine with a little bit of current, but they most often hold in pools near structure. River bass swim more than trout. Trout shelter in place, and wait for food to come to them. (The exceptions are big trout feeding at night, which act more like bass. And big hatches, when both trout and bass are known to get reckless.) Bass prefer to prowl, and pounce. They cruise in pools along foam lines, and in the shallows- especially at night. They rarely hold in current that isn't slow enough to have a smooth surface. There are big streches of the Susky, Potomac, and other rivers that are like long, glassy runs, almost from bank to bank. Find the edges of the weed beds, big boulders, sunken logs or other structure. Trout prefer to hug cover. Bass just want some close enough to sprint to in an emergency. In low water, they're spookier than trout.

Figure that the fly landing will attract the fish- so they'll close in to check it out and see if it's maybe something worth eating. If you give the fly action too early, it seems fake. So you want to be just patient enough to let the fish swim over, and then give the fly a little tug, so it quivers in the water. The fun part about topwater bass fishing is that the first little motion is what triggers most of the strikes. But if nothing happens, give it another 10 seconds, twitch the fly again. Do that a couple more times, and then retrieve it slow, at about the speed of a swimming frog. Take your time, because you may have a fish following it, getting ready to pounce. Squeeze the water out of the deer hair and cast again.

When I was a little kid fishing topwater lures like Jitterbugs, I always thought that I had to crank the lure in. Never got a fish like that. If I'd fished it like I was supposed to, the way I just described fishing a fly, I might have caught fish. The trick is to not be impatient. Let the fly or lure rest in the water. And don't strip it in, just move it enough to make it look realistic. A little ripple in the water, and then a pause. The topwater game works much better with flies than lures, actually.
I am going to have to give it a try on the smallies at night now.

Downstream vs. Upstream at night

Obviously the prevailing school of thought is work downstream and there are some people writing about nymphing upstream(usually as more of a last resort).

Interested to see if anyone is night fishing for trout fishing upstream predominately or often atleast?

I had the idea of putting a huge chubby chernobyl on and trying close range upstream high stick drift a stretch of stream I recently fished downstream and didn’t do amazing on.

For smallmouth, I've seen that often the big ones come out right near dark, and shortly after. Many people fish at dusk but leave too early. If they would just stay another 15 or 20 minutes...

That's different than REAL night fishing, i.e. from 9:30 on. I've done a little of that, not much. I need my sleep.

But for most people, if you just change from quitting at 9 pm to quitting at about 9:20 pm, you'll greatly increase your odds of catching a big one.

For smallmouth, I've seen that often the big ones come out right near dark, and shortly after. Many people fish at dusk but leave too early. If they would just stay another 15 or 20 minutes...

That's different than REAL night fishing, i.e. from 9:30 on. I've done a little of that, not much. I need my sleep.

But for most people, if you just change from quitting at 9 pm to quitting at about 9:20 pm, you'll greatly increase your odds of catching a big one.
I need my sleep too, I probably shouldn’t night fish as often as I do. I try not to make it more than one night a week in the summer. I am always dead next day. Its just so dam* addictive.

I went camping at Gifford Pincho on July 4th. I caught piles of bluegill during the day which I enjoyed. I went to sleep but woke up around 11:30. Our site was right on the water so I got up put on a small foam hopper and went down and stood in the water about 10 ft from the bank. Bluegill were slerping off the top constantly so I was excited to get some top water action. After a couple, I hooked up with something that made my drag fly! I ended up with three of these Lunkers! I was pumped. I never night fished before but this was a blast! I also caught a nice sized crappy all on the same little green hopper!
IMG 7832
IMG 7833
IMG 7835
IMG 7836

Attachments

• 71025172663__EF6D89B7-BFBA-4DE3-896A-337C09FB6349.jpeg
    71025172663__EF6D89B7-BFBA-4DE3-896A-337C09FB6349.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9
I went camping at Gifford Pincho on July 4th. I caught piles of bluegill during the day which I enjoyed. I went to sleep but woke up around 11:30. Our site was right on the water so I got up put on a small foam hopper and went down and stood in the water about 10 ft from the bank. Bluegill were slerping off the top constantly so I was excited to get some top water action. After a couple, I hooked up with something that made my drag fly! I ended up with three of these Lunkers! I was pumped. I never night fished before but this was a blast! I also caught a nice sized crappy all on the same little green hopper! View attachment 1641231347View attachment 1641231348View attachment 1641231349View attachment 1641231350
Nice! I had some fun night fishing for largemouth with mice last year in Lebanon County

Check out the latest YouTube episode from Dom at Troutbitten... His boys had the whole shebang from fish friendly headlamps, to glowing fly lines they charged up before walking down to the water, to walkie talkies (a bit much even if any of the other things on this list don't seem like to much already!). Although the walkie talkies are one way to assure your spouse you aren't going to die or get lost out there, I guess. A couple nice fishes in the net too.

Check out the latest YouTube episode from Dom at Troutbitten... His boys had the whole shebang from fish friendly headlamps, to glowing fly lines they charged up before walking down to the water, to walkie talkies (a bit much even if any of the other things on this list don't seem like to much already!). Although the walkie talkies are one way to assure your spouse you aren't going to die or get lost out there, I guess. A couple nice fishes in the net too.
I saw that episode, it is nice to see how others night fish. I have glow in dark fly line but I don’t light it up that much at this point. I went out tonight in a small mouth stream with a few PAFF forum members. Caught one small mouth and personal bested on rock bass.
1CF71E1D DBCA 417A 9BFB DC8F32EA38CA
14CC7B58 6FA4 42F8 90AD 1BC4174B6057
81D15C4F E31D 4908 B772 E6B5C765A273
A65A5024 0879 4046 AC30 FCE31F17E55D

Back