News from PA FBC

C

CRB

http://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=186

Looks like the Access program up here will get a boost.
Donny must have left the room.

http://www.fishandboat.com/AboutUs/MinutesAgendas/Documents/agendasDocs/2018-04agd-ExhA.pdf

Hum...a lot of talk about Erie and steelhead. If Erie was more than a stocked steelhead fishery I'd be more incline to go. I'd rather go to NY.

Like NY is any different? NO steelhead are native to the great lakes.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Hum...a lot of talk about Erie and steelhead. If Erie was more than a stocked steelhead fishery I'd be more incline to go. I'd rather go to NY.

My concern would be that the PA Erie tribs offer next to no angling opportunities without a large scale steelhead stocking program. Without steelhead you have a few weeks of small mouth fishing every spring in the lower sections of the larger tribs, and that's it. Otherwise their recreational value is almost entirely reliant on stocking. My point being that the easements have no value without continuous stocking. I would rather see them spend money on projects that provide access to naturally sustaining fisheries, both trout an warm water species. I think that is a better long term investment.

PennKev wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

My concern would be that the PA Erie tribs offer next to no angling opportunities without a large scale steelhead stocking program. Without steelhead you have a few weeks of small mouth fishing every spring in the lower sections of the larger tribs, and that's it. Otherwise their recreational value is almost entirely reliant on stocking. My point being that the easements have no value without continuous stocking. I would rather see them spend money on projects that provide access to naturally sustaining fisheries, both trout an warm water species. I think that is a better long term investment.

+1^

I bet the native fish in those streams get obliterated by the invasive steel head that migrate there every year

I've done the steelhead thing once in March a couple of years back. It was a nice change of pace and we caught a pile of fish. My first fish was an absolute monster and then honestly the rest were larger than most rainbow trout but overall I wasn't that impressed. The fish fought lousy (due to the extreme cold water, I'm sure) and they weren't as big as I was hoping.

There is no doubt, however, that the Steelhead fishing is extremely popular and brings a lot of people/money to Erie County. Does anyone know the rough cost of the program and how close the Erie stamp comes to covering it? I'll go back and next time I'm harvesting a few fish. I tend to agree with you guys that I'd rather see other things done with the money but I don't think many other projects can provide that level of economic flow.

bikerfish wrote:

NY has more variety of fish there (salmon, browns, smallies, even bowfin saw caught there), greater size, just all around better fishery. I've been to Erie and it gets boring for steelhead.

I just feel money would be better spent elsewhere as others have mentioned.

bigjohn58 wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

NY has more variety of fish there (salmon, browns, smallies, even bowfin saw caught there), greater size, just all around better fishery. I've been to Erie and it gets boring for steelhead.

I just feel money would be better spent elsewhere as others have mentioned.

Erie Steelhead fishing is like fishing the kiddie pool(aka the hatchery spillway) at the little Lehigh. Its also the ultimate and original Keystone trout water :lol:

The great thing about PA is the diversity of freshwater fishing the state has to offer. Just about every angler should be able to find some kind of fishing here to float their boat or wet their waders > wild trout, stocked trout, smallies, largemouth, stripers, all kinds of panfish, walleye, pike, muskie, stripers, shad, carp and even some guys love to fish for snakeheads!

I enjoy all kind of fly-fishing and try not to pooh-pooh the fun some have with their favorite species of fish or place to fish for them.

The PFBC pretty much serves anglers based on the popularity of the type of fishing they do. The more popular the species or waterway is to anglers, the more attention and dollars it is generally given.

In this instance, the Erie steelhead fishery is funded by an Erie stamp to pay for cost associated with the fish and fishery, so most of it is funded by the steelie anglers themselves. There are more than 100,000 anglers that fish for Erie steelhead (based on permits sold + anglers below permit age). It's popular and fun for many. Also it's a boost for the Erie economy that has struggled for many years.

While it is unlikely I will ever drive out to Erie to fish for steelies, more power to all the guys that do.....Fish on!

I think Afish gets it more right than anybody else who has posted on the thread so far in regards to the PA trib steelhead fishery.

It is a Chamber of Commerce fishery to be sure, both from the standpoint of the trib fishery itself as well as the downrigger/charter boat industry for the same fish on the open waters of the big lake.

But there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that. It sells a lot of licenses and makes a lot of people happy. These things are important in these days when overall participation in the sport is on a long slow decline. And as Afish mentioned, the easement funds come from the sale of the dedicated Lake Erie permit, so it isn't like other portions of the state are being denied funding because of the Erie program.

The economic benefit to the greater Erie area is on the low end of significant, but certainly not determinative. IIRC, the economic impact of the fishery is roughly equivalent to a 200 or so employee manufacturing company. So, it isn't life or death but it isn't small taters either in an area that is searching for ways to diversify out of its manufacturing-heavy past.

Is it everybody's cup of angling tea? No. Is it my cup of angling tea? No again, and I live up there and am an area native. What does it matter exactly whose cup of tea it is? It doesn't, other than as a way for some folks to practice our species' most popular pastime; looking down our noses at other members of the species.

Here's an interesting thing and then I'll shut up:

Back in the mid-90's, I had the opportunity to guide a pair of brothers for the day for Elk Creek steelhead. They were (and still are, I believe..) the CEO and Vice CEO of the best known company in the American fly fishing industry. We got a few fish, but didn't really have a bang up day. Nice guys, anyway. As we were breaking down the rods and preparing to leave, the CEO told me that Elk Creek was one of his two favorite places in the world to sight fish for large trout. The other was Kamchatka. Kamchatka and Elk Creek in the same sentence assigned the same superlative.
Imagine that..

Now, he could have been having me on, as the Brits say. But I don't think he was. He didn't seem the type.

I guess the only point I'm trying to make is that we can never really know or completely understand what the world looks like through somebody else's prism. I'd sooner drive down to Pymatuning and fish for crappie than fish Elk Creek for steelhead. That's my prism.
But anybody else doing whatever it is that their prism tells them to do is OK with me so long as they don't demand I do it just like them.

Improved access opportunities are good news for folks with an Elk Creek prism....:)

Afish and RLeep2 have said it about right. It is a good thing for those who enjoy it.

I've only been there twice: the first time I was skunked, the second trip I was with 2 experienced steelheaders, and we all caught lots of fish. The 2 said it was the best they'd ever seen it: it really was bank-to-bank fish with lots of guys after them. It might not be something I'd like to do very often, as I like to fish in uncrowded conditions. But, under the right circumstances, I might try it again.

I'm not saying that the Erie steelhead are a bad thing BUT if money is an issue with the PFBC and we all know it is well that's one area (shad stockings being another) that I could do less of or without.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I'm not saying that the Erie steelhead are a bad thing BUT if money is an issue with the PFBC and we all know it is well that's one area (shad stockings being another) that I could do less of or without.

WOULDN'T IT BE KIND OF HARD TO BUY/SELL AN ERIE STAMP AND THEN TAKE THE MONEY AND SPEND IT SOMEWHERE ELSE? DECEPTIVE AT LEAST.

This stretch is significant as this was Donny Beaver's Home waters club private water.

CRB wrote:
This stretch is significant as this was Donny Beaver's Home waters club private water.

I think most of the water controlled by Home Waters is unaffected by this easement. There are over 4 miles of creek between the easement and Foley's End and all of it is still posted as far as I know.

My previous comments regarding Erie aside, any control over fishing access that Donnie D. loses is a win for everyone else. That is assuming of course that the easement area was, in fact, previously controlled by Beaver.

rrt wrote:
Afish and RLeep2 have said it about right. It is a good thing for those who enjoy it.

I've only been there twice: the first time I was skunked, the second trip I was with 2 experienced steelheaders, and we all caught lots of fish. The 2 said it was the best they'd ever seen it: it really was bank-to-bank fish with lots of guys after them. It might not be something I'd like to do very often, as I like to fish in uncrowded conditions. But, under the right circumstances, I might try it again.

The one time I went there were hardly any anglers and a lot of fish. I couldn't do it if it was a ton of anglers. I hate that. I'm sure when it first starts for the year it is terrible.

Has anyone heard anything else about this was out that way today nothing posted on the property adjacent to Beckman Rd just wondering if it is a done deal or not

tomgamber wrote:
WOULDN'T IT BE KIND OF HARD TO BUY/SELL AN ERIE STAMP AND THEN TAKE THE MONEY AND SPEND IT SOMEWHERE ELSE? DECEPTIVE AT LEAST.

Right. Our elected / no-elected 'officials' have never taken money for one purpose and then used it for something completely unrelated. You're flagged, turn in your bong sir.

Back