Newbie question

FlyGuy,

First off, welcome to the forum.

Adam & Greg (A&G) are great at helping. They love the sport and want more people involved.

I wish they carried more than Orvis gear.

Their fly tying materials section isn't bad for such a small shop.

Cathy

Thank you Cathy. I couldn't agree with you more about the shop. It's quite small, but their selection is better than some of the big box stores. ****s doesn't carry anything other than cheap fly combos, a few flies, and tippet really. Gander used to have a nice selection, but they got rid of a lot for some reason. Not to mention, the guys behind the counter are usually engaged in conversation with a co-worker, or friend and not really worried about helping anyone out. As soon as I walk into A&G I'm greeted with a smile, and they never sit behind the counter just staring at me while I shop. They are usually standing next to me helping me select whatever it is I came in for. Since I'm new to fly fishing, they have saved me a ton of money because I would go into buy something that I didn't really need, or something I needed a different color or size of. That's what I like about them. Most business owners would just let you buy the thing you didn't need, and make an additional sale when you came back for the thing you did.

Do not hold a grudge against anyone...Remember the sorenity prayer includes A*.holes, idiots, and rude people.
I'd still give the flyshop another chance - if it happens again - there are other flyshops around.
If you can wait a month or so and you live in central to east PA there are two fly shows coming up in the spring 2013. Somerset NJ and Lancaster PA. They will have hundreds of venders that are more than willing to help you out. Fly prices will vary so shop around.

There was no excuse for the type of treatment you received. THe only advice I'd give you, if that ever happens again, please don't buy anything at the store, just walk out. In some respects, the biggest favor you can do the clerk is to let him know, subtlety or not so subtlety, that his behavior cost the store a sale. If the guy thinks that kind of behavior is acceptable (i.e.he's making a sale), he's either going to cost himself, or the owner, alot of business over the long run.

You just wonder potentially how many people he's discouraged from taking up the sport of fly fishing. Alot of folk feel that fly fisherman tend to be somewhat snobbish, and it's people like that guy who reinforce the stereotype.

In terms of doing your homework, next time maybe what you learned is to go to a different fly shop.

Everyone was a noob once...

I would call up the owner and tell them your story. Some times good fly shops pick up bad employees.

If he's a decent guy hell invite you back in, if not youve only lost the cost of a phone call.

Most fly anglers are a friendly bunch, but like in life and with any sport there's a few bad pennies around.

Welcome aboard n the best of luck.

Mark

At one shop this guy asked me if I needed any help twice , one right after another. I thought he was being rude until he pointed to my "Please Bug Me" hat with a brown trout on it. Then we both had a good laugh. I asked for it.

Back