Newbie Here from Bucks County

You'll have to let us know how things progress for you.

As everyone has already said...Welcome. You can learn a lot from some of these guys. I am in Bucks County too....more specifically Penndel.

Thanks bassman. May need all your help with respect to the knots!!!! LOL...My issue may be connecting the leader to tippett. From what I have been reading sounds like the nail knot is the way to go.

My guess the only way to learn to to get out their and just started fishing!!!!!!! I'm sure there will be lots of mistakes made however it is nice to know you are all here for advice!!!!! I am very intersted in attending some of your get togethers so looking forward to meeting many of you this season!!!!!!

Hey Pat,
Welcome aboard. I'm also a newbie, and from Bucks Co. too. I'm right up the road in Newtown Twp. I've been fishing the river and a lot of other local places. This past year I've fished only with the fly rod. I've done great with all the warmwater fish for my first year with a fly rod, but catching trout is another story. Hope to see you and some of the other guys at the newbie jam.

Thanks Weaves!!! WOW....alot of us from Bucks County...... with limited streams in our County!!! LOL Thank God for the Delaware River!!!!!!

I'm not real familiar with any streams here in Bucks. When I fish for trout I find myself going to Delaware Canal, Nesh Creek, Levittown lake of lake Lux at Core creek park. Where in Bucks are their trout streams? Do these streams have public access? I would assume maybe there would be streams somewhere in Upper Bucks?

Hey Pat-
Welcome to the site. I started FF last spring and have gone through the shredded tippet and countless snags and growing pains of re-rigging. It gets better trust me. As far as learning the knots I would suggest learning to connect your tippet to leader with the surgeons knot or the blood knot. I find the blood knot to be a cleaner knot and in fact fairly easy to learn with practice sitting on your couch. YouTube has some great videos to really learn the knots. Try practicing with heavy mono in two colors as it helps to visually see the two different lines. Before ya know it you will be re-rigging stream side in 20' weather with ease! Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Wvuandy

Thanks Wvuandy! Will certainly take a look at Youtube for learning these knots....many thanks.

weaves wrote:

Hey Pat,
Welcome aboard. I'm also a newbie, and from Bucks Co. too. I'm right up the road in Newtown Twp. I've been fishing the river and a lot of other local places. This past year I've fished only with the fly rod. I've done great with all the warmwater fish for my first year with a fly rod, but catching trout is another story. Hope to see you and some of the other guys at the newbie jam.

I can so relate! I've caught more WW species in a day (more then double or triple) compared to my count on trout. Thats said; by late fall, early winter I came around a lil but much more to learn.

Still a blast but i have cabin fever. Hope to have some more time after this weekend ... abt 5 weeks since I last fished :-x

I'm from Bucks as well. There are a few wild trout streams in the county although you'll have a tough time getting access. Even in the winter, I get out at least once a week. There is plenty of WW fishing to be had and there is also a lot of good trout fishing within an hour's drive.

Pat-

You've found the right place if your looking to learn.

These guys really go out of they're way to help newbies like us.

I have learned so much already just by reading all the various posts. Just need to get outside and start practicing my casting!!!! Really looking forward to exploring the various streams in the Poconos this summer. I think I will start with Hickory Run State Park first since its only bout an hour an half away from where I live in Bucks County!!!!

I also may go to the Fly Fishing show the first weekend in March in Lancaster.

I have plans on Sat the 2nd, but I'll be at the show on Sunday. I'm guessing there will be plenty of PAFF folks there.
Pat wrote:
I also may go to the Fly Fishing show the first weekend in March in Lancaster.

Another Bucks resident checking in. I'm just north of Newtown in Wrightstown. Looking forward to meeting more FF neighbors this year and trying some different spots

Welcome aboard. GG

Hey Fellow Buck's County Neighbors.

Anyone else thinking about going to the newbie jam? if so anyone interested in car pooling? I was going to stay the night before, but it's only about an hour away. Easy ride.

Stagger, I think you're out due to your son's birthday party, is that still the case?

sroach .. yea. Wife was cool and tried to switch his date but it didn't work with some of the vendors. May head up for an hr or 2 early in the am b/ there a 2 stations I really want to hit (brookie and where to fish) and I need to brush up on my casting. I'm not even sure if I can do that but if so, carpooling is out of the question unless youre planning on going for a short while.

///Doc .. do you hit up the Pineville Tavern? Decent food for Bucks and their wings are solid.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
///Doc .. do you hit up the Pineville Tavern? Decent food for Bucks and their wings are solid.

The Pineville is literally a stone's throw from my house. New chef and menu this past year which really improved the quality of their food. They also built a nice outdoor dining area which also happens to be a great spot to sit and BS over a beer on a nice evening. One of my "new" favorite spots!

Back